Let's use this ad hoc military tribunal overseen by an admiral to decide whether this clearly sentient android deserves...

>let's use this ad hoc military tribunal overseen by an admiral to decide whether this clearly sentient android deserves to have rights in the federation...oh and let's appoint his colleagues to argue for/against using mostly appeals to emotions
What did the United Federation of Planets mean by this?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=RNzl-2xqdso
youtube.com/watch?v=HDDW761eoaM
youtube.com/watch?v=bl5TUw7sUBs
youtube.com/watch?v=FS85CiglPso
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

It was bullshit that Riker had to argue against data.

Still my all-time favorite TNG episode though.

>Computer, reroute additional power to the holomatrix and create an interactive Mandelbrot set using Counsellor Troi's dirty anus. Activate new olfactory emitters and associate each iteration with a stronger version of the Counsellor's flatulence. Disengage safety protocols.

Computer end program. END PROGRAM.

This was the fed showing it's true face. All the picard shit they shoved us down the throat for 7 season were blatant lies of an egomanic and narcistic human being that thought of himself he'd be a godlike being. This is why Q is around all the time. Q is Picards subconsciousness that remembers him that he is a shit tier human being stuck in shit tier federation which wasn't any better than Romulans or Klingons.

>Computer, simulate 4000 litres of Counselor Troi's excrement in a polytritine tank of the same volume and place a ladder on one side. Disengage safety protocols.

but seriously, how happy are you that space is starting to air the star trek series, again? this is my first time watching tog, really enjoying it

How the fuck was the issue of Data's rights not settled before he became the Lt. Commander on the flagship of the Federation? They just let him through Starfleet academy and serve on other ships while still believing he wasn't a real lifeform?

if memory serves correctly prior to his commission on the enterprise he literally spent 20 years as a lieutenant junior grade in some inconsequential menial science officer assignment

they mentioned there already was a trial for him to enter starfleet

maybe they decided to reevaluate it based on the fact half the time Datas the one putting the ship in danger?

TNG would have actually been a good show if Gul Dukat was captain instead of Picard

What is the armament of the lollipop?

>let's appoint his colleagues to argue for/against using mostly appeals to emotions
>It was bullshit that Riker had to argue against data.
They were at a new Starbase that hadn't been sent a full legal team yet (probably because that isn't a serious concern on most days).

What should they have done?

Postponed.

They probably would have done that if the calling of the hearing didn't place an injunction on a Starfleet order issued by the central powers, I'm sure some corrupt Admiral would have forced the issue if they did that.

Why is the Federation's navy being deferred to to determine a civil rights case? Does the air force decide whether or not civilians are entitled to protest?

the scene where he goes from being happy to be depressed because he found a way to win the trial was great

Starfleet seem really lax about letting in aliens, if you're from a non-Federation world all you need is a letter of recommendation from a command-level officer, and then passing all those obscene tests which Data would have aced as he's an AI with no sense of fear.

And it's not like he was in any more position to fuck shit up as a Lt. Commander than if he was just a crewman or a passenger on one of their ships (see: Brothers).

youtube.com/watch?v=RNzl-2xqdso

Data isn't a civilian, they were arguing he was just tech. They were basically trying a macbook owned by the navy for mutiny or something and the defence was that he was a really smart macbook and should be treated like a human.

>its a geordie is a creepy fucker episode
youtube.com/watch?v=HDDW761eoaM

Data entered Starfleet on his he wasn't simply a machine they procured or built in house. This was definitely the kind of thing that was supposed to be decided in Federation court. Data vs Starfleet not Data explain to Starfleet why you're not our property in this ad hoc committee we put together because some officer from half away across the galaxy wants to pull you apart.

Evidently they felt that if he were indeed not a person, that would make him military hardware, which they would then be free to use as they wish.

Yeah the whole thing is a mess. If he turned out not to be a people, that means he never was qualified to be in Starfleet in the first place, in which case it would nullify his service contract or whatever and the military would no longer have a claim on him.

>Geordie falls in love with a hologram
>2 episodes later he's giving Broccoli shit for having jousting matches with a hologram of his boss

That wasn't even the worst example of the incompetence of the Star Fleet legal system

>Riker falls in love with a hologram
>So much so that when an alien scans his mind for his greatest love it picks her
>Tries to delete Barclay's program when he realised he's being mocked

Don't pretend you're not grooving.

youtube.com/watch?v=bl5TUw7sUBs

>we will never have Star Trek: JAG

I dunno man it seemed to work OK

>Discover a spy
>There's sabotage immediately after
>Assign some brilliant private dick lawyer to investigate
>She goes fucking batshit crazy and starts accusing everyone
>Starfleet sends an Admiral to look into it
>Closes that shit down within half an hour

CSI DS9 is something i would watch the fuck out of.

Soft shit

youtube.com/watch?v=FS85CiglPso

Why is there no spiritual successor to Star Trek?

>Its a Worf gets accused of being consumed by the heat of the moment, and his passion for battle, leading to the death of innocents, instead of a mere accident
>Let's send a Vulcan to judge the case, since surely she'll have a great understanding of Worf's possible emotional state in the situation

vulcans have stronger emotions then humans, naturally the judge would understand

not that the judge would ever mention it

when riker shut off data via the switch on his back to bolster his argument did he not realize it's just as easy to induce unconsciousness in humans as well?

why is riker always an incompetent buffoon?

That would have been great if right as he did that to turn off Data, a Vulcan hit him with the nerve pinch.

>Scooby Doo is broken, I had him neutered

To be fare, there seems to be pretty strong evidence that souls and the afterlife exist in the Star Trek universe, so it would make mechanical life less valid

It's a tv show with a budget you sperglord. That episode was a bottle show.

>there seems to be pretty strong evidence that souls and the afterlife exist in the Star Trek universe
Don't be silly

So Star Trek keeps telling us that the Federation is a utopia, but it's clearly a dystopia, right?

In the star trek universe it's literally possible to transfer your consciousness if you're a Vulcan to a body and then transfer back to another to avoid death.

Souls exist in the star trek universe.

Somone post that image that summerizes and rates every TNG episode please.

It's a utopia for the 1%, same as now. Star Trek just doesn't show you the taxpayer class.

Katras aren't souls user, stop culturally appropriating the Vulcan's culture to prove your own preconceived notions

That's a Vulcan brain thing, has nothing to do with souls.

I can think of a few times where the existence of souls and the afterlife are more or less explicitly denied in trek.

>still believing the federation had anything even resembling a traditional economy with taxes when the average Joe schmoe can replicate anything he can conceive of and energy was essentially infinite

Mitigating circumstances can affect sentencing. They do not affect whether a person is guilty of the crime or not. Killing someone in a fit of passion does not make you not a murderer, though it may result in a more lenient sentence. A passionless logical arbiter is exactly the ideal we strive for in justice. Hence the blind lady.

There are no taxes in the federation. Everyone essentially has unlimited wealth. It's dumb.

but vulcans are not passionless. they lie and hide that shit

look at the sarek ep of tng, he loved his human wife deeply and she knew, but like all vulcans they are in denial

they could easily be more balanced, fuck look at the romulans.

they are essentially the same species with a different philosophy

Yeah they are not actually robots. That's the point. They practice the most rigid form of the philosophy that best suits impartial justice. So since you have to have SOME sentient being do it, Vulcans are the best suited for the job because they spend their entire lives developing the discipline to not let their emotions interfere with their better judgement. That makes them an ideal judge, or as close as you'll get with a living being.

If crime was eliminated in the 24th century, how come there was a functional prison system to imprison Tom Paris?

Agreed.

And also, if crime was eliminated in the 24th century, how come there was a functional prison system to imprison Nick Locarno?

"Commander, tell me about your sexual organs."

Thanks user.

it seems worse than that, star fleet seems to have an obsession with choosing aliens (the more "exotic" the better) over humans as star fleet cadets.
Its like some unannounced but clearly obvious mandate to push diversity into what is clearly structured military hierarchy.
I'm franky surprised it hasn't bit them on the arse yet

It was a rehab colony where they made macaroni pictures and played tennis.

They can detect people who are predisposed to be criminals by genetic analysis, he was just in charge of a formation flying squad and there was an accident.

Everyone in Federation prison is just unlucky.

The federation is composed of 150 different planets user, with all species in equal standing. If anything humans are technically grossly overrepresented.

that's the same series where the female klingon goes to the afterlife tho

Not only that but it's all because some douchebag wants to disassemble him.
>muh toaster
Well fuck you, I like my toaster. I need my toaster and I don't want you fucking break my toaster, you dickless poor man's Jon Hamm.

>implying crime is biological not social

why is there crime if you have a post scarcity economy?

Now these are the kind of quality posts i want to see more of in Star Trek threads

And discovers that it was all a dream manifest by her guilt at the end.

Why can't they use replicators to replicate a new Data

I'd imagine it's similar to how at all you can eat buffets there's always that one guy that packs three plates to the brim only to end up throwing away 75% of it.

>it's a i'm-50-pounds-heavier-and-you're-showing-your-age-but-it's-season-six-gotta-go-talk-to-adm-pressman-kk-bye episode

>It's a Starfleet admits a race of aliens into Starfleet whose culture involves keeping vital information a secret unless they can come up with a solution to the problem caused by that secret episode

A spectre is haunting The Federation - the spectre of liberalism

Also requesting please.

Playing devils advocate I'd say that the federation never cured psychopathy so you'd probably have at least a rare serial killer here and there. Hell look at all the starfleet captains that went insane or megalomaniac.

Some species have souls, like Klingons, Vulcans, and Bajorans. Some species don't have souls, like Talaxians.

Post scarcity doesn't stop people hating each other for the same stupid reasons people do now, like politics or women or the best holodeck program or whatever.

Chemicals in your brain dictate how you behave (explain how drugs work if you disagree), the chemical balance in your brain is determined by your genes, therefore crime is totally biological.

Geordi detected.

Riker is thicc

I believe it.

>Artificial scotch, artificial officers. The future is grim indeed.

Scotty episode was the most based.

There are things that can't be replicated, like Latinum or human organs. Positronic brains are probably on that list too.

Felis catus is your taxonomic nomenclature,
An endothermic quadruped, carnivorous by nature;

I bet it would just be inert. Data's positronic brain is where the magic happens.

TOS Whom God Destroy

federation cured all but a dozen criminally insane

but the transporter could create a functioning Riker clone

>I sourced the Ben Nye makeup that was used to turn Spiner into Data, and a replica of the iconic Star Fleet uniform. Unfortunately I couldn't get the contact lenses in and I could only get the uniform in red, so I spent a huge amount of time changing the colour of my eyes and uniform in post.
Neat. This video is pretty well done.

Requesting the viewing guide pics for all Star Trek Series.

Thanks in advance.

Between the transporter and the replicator, there shouldn't have been an episode about Worf having a broken back. They could have taken his brain out, used an old transporter buffer code of his body, and put the new one in.

>but muh ethics!

I got you senpai

It's already been posted in this thread.

Think really hard before you reply. Look closely. I believe in you.

I still can't figure out why they felt they had to write the Riker scenes like that in the first place. The fact that he'd aged over a decade was way too distracting, and it made a pretty bad episode even worse.

clearly dead weight

further evidence of the inherent failure of multi specie-ism
what the hell is the spirit of liberalism doing on a military vessel?

If mental insanity was cured how come there are still homosexuals in the Federation?

>how come

ugh

I see TNG only, and yes, I missed it when I first looked. Thanks for not being a dirk about it. Looking for the others too.

There weren't until Romulus was destroyed which somehow made Sulu gay and Section 31 didn't destroy him in-utero for some reason

Ask JJ

Make way for the only sane man in an insane quadrant

I bet that changed a great deal after the dominion war. Imagine being on Earth (which was attacked by the Breen thanks to this) and being told that you're part of a Federation that puts a bunch of backwater religious nuts (bajorans) ahead of your safety, and was pulled into a war that killed more humans and destroyed more Earth built ships than any other species (Cardassian and Klingon nonwithstanding but they're not Fed members).

Some blue fuck alien (the current president of the federation during DS9( telling you it was for the greater good deserves to be shot dead for it. Humanity needs someone better.

>the only sane man in an insane quadrant
Jellico may have recognised the Spoonhead Menace but Maxwell was the only one with the balls to do something about it

"The Cardassians were a mistake. Now it's time to erase that mistake"

Is TNG good from the first season?

How can there be war crimes if there was never a war?