Does anyone here do martial arts?

Does anyone here do martial arts?
Post what you do, your belt, time doing it, if you think it’s been worth it, or any stories or recommendations
I’m looking at starting one and want some guidance

Yes
I've practiced brazilian jujitsu for one and a half year. Not anymore, cause I've always lost at the fighting
currently practicing Muay Thai
my legs hurt a lot

sex is the ultimate art.
wanna know the hard truth
not everyone can be best
face it
now...martial
hahah

So after 1.5 years doing BJJ you got nothing out of it?

>Krav Maga for 6 months.
>Was exhausting.
>Sensei beat me up regularly.
>Realized was Scam Maga Instructor who enjoyed beating up people and be payed for it.
>positive - realized I wasn't made of glass.

Tenshin Shoden Katori Shinto Ryu
No belts, Not yet 1st Dan
3 Years
Worth it all day every day.
Best part so far: going to Italy spending a week training with hatakeyama branch master. Training on a beautiful beach overlooking the Adriatic sea at sunset. mfw soul stirring shit.
Reccomendation: Dont think you're gonna become a super samurai sword master over night and sadly, no sparring.

Still worth it if you want to learn how Japanese weapons were actually used.

Escrima / Kali / Arnis, whichever you prefer for 20 odd years, pretty good for teaching concepts of movement and evasion, triangular and circular footwork, not great for fitness unless you have an instructor that really pushes the combat angle, main takeaway? even somebody relatively untrained with a weapon, particularly a blade, is going to fuck your day up pretty badly and there isn't a lot you can do about it unless you are lucky enough to have a firearm

More than 25 years, also several years doing it basically full time several hours a day under a very skilled teacher. I do traditional Chinese Kung fu so there are no ranks, everything to us is who you learned from and how well you learned it. My current teacher is 90 and one of the last surviving indoor (means trained in full within the teachers home) students of one of the most famous teachers in the last century in China (not saying who, not here to measure dicks or have pointless arguments).
I will give you my main advice, research your teacher and ask around, make sure they are the real deal. Don’t look for a particular art, look for a great teacher who is skilled and has good students.

25 years of aikido.
Went to Japan several times, great art to practise!
Cons: not much good in an actual streetfight Pros: lots of girls in the classes, generally decent, smart people practising.

I’m a rainbow belt in sucking dick. I’ve been doing this for about 18 years. I’m so good at it I can suck other dudes and my self with ease. Practice now because you won’t get to as much with age. Suck as many dicks as you can because experience is what really makes it. Learn from the best, find a master to teach you and remember that training isn’t free.
>training isn’t free.
>you reap what you sow and you keep what you blow.

>t. Someone whomst has never had sex. Haha.
>probably hasn’t sucked his own dock either. Haha.

17 years of flykicks.

>practices martial arts for 20 years
>even somebody relatively untrained with a weapon, particularly a blade, is going to fuck your day up pretty badly

jew

There is a pretty famous instructor here in the UK Karl Tanswell, practiced various martial arts for decades and got stabbed multiple times outside a pub by a guy with no training, so yes, guy with a blade is going to fuck your shit up unless you are really lucky

got a blue belt in Taekwondo, but haven't trained that path in over 10 years

>Martial Art
Soo Bahk Do Moo Duk Kwan
>time
Between 6 and 7 months
>Belt
Orange 8th gup

Started 6 months ago, took some classes in college for the easy A credits and fell in love with it. Now I attend the dojang weekly. I've got an excellent 8th dan master who himself trains with the grand master.

Imb4 my karate/kung fu is better all of the schools ancient or new are very good It's a matter of finding a skilled teacher and a good environment to learn something you enjoy.

Kyokushin, 20 years
Yes, it's worth, but you have to live with all sorts of injuries.

Karate, 3,5 years. 7 kyu, but I neglected belt exams for awhile, I am now making up for it. I know all techniques necessary to get to 5 kyu.

Judo
orange belt
for about four years
most throws seem to work well

Wing Chun
no belts
for about seven months now
interesting and absolutely worth it even though it's not perfect

martial arts has its moments, mostly when it comes to redirecting traffic, other than that it tends not to shine very well outside its own performance. its pretty sad when all you have to do to get attention is to flex and elbow and tada your the next total ninja super star, sorry to say it, the last time i did martial arts was when i was 6 years old.

JKA Shotokan Karate for 9 years, 1st dan
Was a lot of work, definitely helped me defend myself on the streets and improve my self esteem and focus

karate background from age 8 to late 20s. Primarily Shorinjiryu Kudaka, which is a contact style of karate. 3rd Dan black belt.
Karate is fine for fighting another karate guy, but not worth much on the street in my opinion.

Currently practice Escrima (Cacoy Doces Pares) and love it, and have taken up boxing. Absolutely in love with boxing, and feel like it's the most practical martial art i've been a part of.

boxing, but a heavy focus on Close Quarter Combatives, primarily with instuction by Kelly McCann and Lee Morrison. Dirty dirty fighting, pre-emptive, street focused with emphasis on pre-threat indicators and fun stuff like biting, knife work, overwhelming the threat.

I trained MMA for about 6 years, good times. We did 'lite' contact sparring which ensured you were learning actual skills and not a set of moves...but, that led to periodic silly injuries (broken toes, jammed fingers, et cetera) which eventually led me to say fuck it and just buy guns.

I'll give you two insights my Sensei gave me:
1. Your belt does not come off and fight for you on the streets. You can learn a lot about a place by examining how they give out belts. Does it take a year and a half for a black belt or does it take decades? (protip: Should take decades but opt out of getting a belt at all)
2. "There is no such thing as a sucker punch, only a sucker being punched." My Sensei nailed a dude with pocket sand in a fight. I remember thinking, that's a cheap shot but when you watch videos of randos getting street punched or how when someone goes down there's usually some animal nearby to deliver a downed faced shot. The world is fucked but you have to keep yourself kicking.

!