I'm seriously thinking about dropping out of my computer science course to do a music course...

i'm seriously thinking about dropping out of my computer science course to do a music course. i'm 19 yrs old in my 2nd year of uni, but i have absolutely no interest in computers and music is all i think about.

should i do it?

ez aye

No, computers are the future.

fuck no, you will be broke and miserable user. get money via a computer job and then you can work remotely. get work done early every day and you have a shitload of money and time to pursue music.

literally doing something similar now just in law not computers.

but i'm miserable on my course right now. i don't want to be stuck in an office with a bunch of numales

i dunno your situation m8

remember eating comes before music

i'm a math major but i play on the side

you could always take music appreciation/music history (had a good instructor and it influenced me deeply) or some theory classes

or just fucking GO for it if computers really make you want to vomit out of your asshole

Jesus fuck you're stupid.
>oh no, I'll be so unhappy making all that money
Fuck you.

>I'm gonna make my entire future a world of shit because I'm too much of a pansy to put up with some fags for a year or two
Go ahead and do that

You feel that way now but an education, and a degree, is priceless man. Most people go through the "fuck college" phase, but you can do music at the same time or wait until you get your degree

How the fuck could you hate programming? Make some vidya and make some music for that shit too. That's what I'm doing.

you're 19. shit will be automated in like a decade and you'll still be in your fucking twenties.
go through all of your schooling and get into a decent paying remote job as quickly as possible user. you don't want to end up like my buddies in their late 20s and early 30s who are serving baskets of fries and chicken wings to fat fucks every night because they fell for the "follow muh heart and pursue music" meme. those dudes are legit suicidal and miserable beyond compare.
get money and work remotely for a chill company. as long as you get your work done you can fully pursue music. this is precious life advice that so many dudes your age fuck up

Time consuming and too much bullcrap to remember. That's why I switched to accounting. It's tedious and busy work but I don't have to remember formulas and algorithms and different coding languages. Also don't have to compete with pajeet h1b1

This is so fucking stupid
There are a million things I'd rather study than what I am currently, but most jobs aren't particularly thrilling anyway, this is just the world we live in. At least what I'm studying will allow me to support myself. At least change your degree to something that's useful, if you really hate it that much.

Get some perspective on your life OP. More than likely you aren't talented enough to become successful. This is just the hard truth

Yeah I'm fourth year and the doubt doesn't get any better.
Furthermore just doing a degree with decent to good grades doesn't mean shit if you aren't desperately wanting a career in the field and doing networking/internships, etc, at most you'll look better than high school dropouts.
Ignore my advice if you're family isn't rich/willing to support your failures though.

Dude, as long as you know Javascript and Python you can get a good job. Nobody cares about algorithms after you graduate because you just use other people's code.

i play piano right now and I'm good at it, and i know a lot of theory cause i did AP music. i just want to have a music based life, and i'd rather live worse off than be stuck in an office

Drop out and become a carpenter or welder instead

Hi Faraje

gonna swoop back in and add that the vast majority of popular musicians did not go to school for music. go ahead and read some biographies, bitch

i think st vincent and the AnCo guys did. all of the people i personally know or know of who majored in music are in non-musical careers or are "classical" performers

Good redpill.

Man, I'm in electrical engineering now and while I have had these thoughts, I've never considered them more than fancies.

It's so much easier to make music when you have the money for resources. Elvis Costello recorded his first album on weekends between time at an office job. He would just go into the studio and record with his band. If you work for a chill company you will have plenty of time to pursue whatever the fuck hobbies you want, music making included.

>If you work for a chill company you will have plenty of time to pursue whatever the fuck hobbies you want, music making included.
Software is not the industry for you then. My boss frequently tells us to stay until 12am or later ("until this gets implemented")

20yo here, don't do it. Focus on a steady job, get a career with stability and go back to school later to do music. In the meantime, study offline, talk to people, read books, and procure supplies. These days, the music market is both better and worse. Better because big businesses no longer have the control they do unlike the days of old but worse because the market is flooded. There's hundreds of others like you and not all are gonna make it. To make it you need to focus on the nature of a free enterprise: survival of the fittest. Despite what Nazi retards and conservative morons tell you, fittest doesn't mean the strongest, it means the most able. A college guy like you has jack shit in ability; you've probably got poor funds, and no fallback. Sure you could get lucky, but you could also be that guy asking for spare change while people will just think: what a loser. Don't be a loser OP, be proactive. If you get a career then you get the funds and the experience to live a normal life, and in your wiggle room you can build your musical ambitions with no worry. Keep it your passion, but make it a side project so if you fuck up, the losses aren't severe.

I do. Learned HTML and JS so long ago in HS, got it down. Python I'm alright at but haven't done in a while. I haven't coded since spring semester 2017. I figured for any decent programming job that isn't just like data entry or low level code monkey you needed a CS degree. I suck at high level math too.

I don't really like programming that much honestly. Just not for me. I'm not even bad at it, and I can type abnormally fast so it's not even that it takes long. Accounting is easier schooling, good job market, won't get automated because you need the human element to ensure there are no errors, and good pay.

Annie went to Berklee, onii-chan

Accounting might make good money but it fucking sucks. You do nothing but sit and crunch numbers for 8 hours a day. It's the most mind numbing repetitive shit and they always want to kill themselves.

I already do mind numbing repetitive shit half the day and want to kill myself. Might as well get paid doing it.

Just get your certs and go for IT

>i'd rather live worse off than be stuck in an office
you won't think that in ~10 years

Accounting is 9-5 and I could make $80k just doing spreadsheets and adding/subtracting shit, spend the rest of the day making music and having fun. All I need to do is take a stats class, fucking civics 101, and some business classes/specific accounting ones and then the cpa exam and that's it. CS I had to take chemistry physics bio and calc i along with CS. Too much of a brainlet and ADHD fuck to handle it.

Amen.

>80k

lol no more like 60 max

>CS I had to take chemistry physics bio and calc i along with CS.
What the fuck

also, remember that if you start making money with your tunes, you can quit the fuck out of your job

At least 3 science classes were required and of course the higher math. I took bio for fun.

op here, just to be clear, i want to do classical music/orchestra playing or something. not contemporary music, i have no aspirations to become a famous person. i don't know if that will change anything in your views.

>fun
I meant I was interested in that the most and would've done that anyway. I'm thinking about bio with concentration in genetics too but that's pretty much the same workload.

Alternatively be in your late 20s, early 30s, working a decent job and making good money, meanwhile be completely miserable because you didn't follow your dreams or pursue your actual passions.

There's no winning in this life user.

this is my dilemma

Middle ground
Get degree, work decent job, make good money, invest it, triple your money, retire early, buy a relatively cheap house outright, save the rest, and dedicate the rest of your life to your passion and creative pursuits.

Every day of life I regret not pursuing my actual passions, regardless of my current job and how much I make.

The grass is always greener I suppose. But at this point i'd give it all up to go back and do what I truly wanted, even if it means struggling more.

Britbong, do you have prior experience in music?

Not him, but I'm a retail working poorfag thinking about trying to become a dive welder.

>implying it's an either/or situation
Pro-tip: Skilled trades. Get certification part time/night school.

t. quit my lab job to work construction, now happier than ever.

I think it depends, like if it's your life and you can't do anything else then do music, but if you have no prior experience then don't go into it

I've always wanted to be a musician and have songs playing in my head that I'm not talented enough to replicate on my own so I just kinda gave up seriously going for that dream. They're good songs and melodies too. I can't sing well so I fuck around in a daw and with my guitar and occasionally something good will come about but nowhere near what I actually hear in my head. Instead I'll resign myself to being a wageslave office job bootlicker bugman fuck serving some corporate asshole and coming home to a mediocre family with a mediocre salary and a mediocre car. Good shit.

Hi user. I studied I.T and have been working full time in the industry for 3 years now (I'm 24)

I had exactly the same dilemma you are having but stuck with the course...

I've since learned that the two options aren't mutually exclusive, I write music and work full time as a Consultant.

Will I get anywhere with music? Probably not but it's fun so who cares, and I have the money to support it (Recording equipment etc.)

You definitely don't need a music type degree to get anywhere with music either, teach yourself for free, a music degree is fucking useless.

What is your salary?
How sustainable is your career when you hit your 40s-50s?

I'll be real. I'm in a somewhat similar situation. Except I've been writing since I was 14/15 (though stupid dumb shit from when I was 11). I didn't get much real training outside of on off lessons until college. I happen to be naturally talented when it comes to writing/theory. While I have obvious short comings that I need to work on, I finshed theory and now I'm kind of needing to get my name out there. I could go off to a 4 year and waste money, or I could finish and get my associates. Sadly I can't do anything beside music, I just am not skilled at much anything else.

I also am lucky because I've made friends who can play and pass on my pieces, hopefully I'll be able make money some day. But unless you have something, at 19 its' really hard to just start and expect results. I mean I've been at it for almost 10 and I still am not making money. I will someday soon I know, but at the moment I'd finish the computer thing and work on music on the side my bro.

One of these paths has a high risk associated with high reward and one of them has low risk associated with a decent reward.

Odds are you’re not making it as a musician and you’ll be in poverty that is relative to the country that you reside in for the rest of your life. The only people to come from Sup Forums and make it big are Grimes and Lorde, both women, both (supposedly) sexually marketable. Both make pop music that’s juuuuust abnormal enough to appeal to both mainstream and indie audiences. Chances are, there isn’t a niche for regular Sup Forumstants like you in the music industry. Even if you become super influential you could still be left with nothing. Look at Nick Drake. The only way to make money in music is to sell yourself out to a label who takes up to 70% of the profit from your music. They also mistreat, harass, and abuse you. Is that really what you want?

Stick to a major that pays well; it doesn’t even have to be computers if you hate them that much. Do music on the side and maybe you’ll make some cash. If not, you’ll have a secure fallback.

it's not an either/or situation, he should stick to studying and make music in his spare time. it's not fucking rocket science

Car Seat Headrest made it
So did the vaporwave guys like St Pepsi and Vektroid. And DIIV. Lil B and Yung Lean have come here before.

but did they have any staying power? Like being big and making money are two different things

>diiv
One guy
>csh
Yeah that may be the other one
>lilb
He shouted it out and knew what it was but doesnt mean he uses it.
>yung lean
maybe dont know
>vaporwave artists
only internet famous in niche circles

Britbong, don't be a nigger. You're to young to be fucking up your future like I did

Do both bitch

CHS is old news man

you only have one life. Fuck the capitalist meme.

CSH is doing pretty well. He did big festivals, teen girls and alt normies like him, and his album sold. He was promoting his shit in bandcamp threads years ago and distances himself now because of the "alt right" connection this site currently has.

The rest were mostly internet memes but they did some big tours when they were at their peak like 2013-15.

Don't do it. You will not get anywhere with a performance degree and you will spend a very, very large portion of your day practicing in addition to stress of juries and the mountains of ensembles you'll be in. If your heart wasn't set on music when you first got to college you will probably end up hating your instrument.

John Cage made money with silence. If you did that you'd be a hack. You need to bring something new to the table or have an image,.

Fuck you piece of shit baby. I should go over there and liberate you're women's vagina from your fucking English tyranny. Once she tastes the sweet American freedom, she'll never go back. AMERICA FOR THE WIN

i'm just gonna keep shitting advice all over you because i'm drunk: when i was like 17 or 18 i got a cheap viola as a gift, so i decided to sign up for some lessons. it was pretty fun, though i sucked at it and was way better at piano, i also entertained the idea of being a legit violist. somehow this came up with the instructor and she basically told me i was too old to be extremely serious about it but i could definitely play in what she called "community orchestras"; though i have no idea what those are it doesn't sound like a way to make a living.

anyway, it's mostly true. there are a precious few spots for a life like that, so naturally only the very best will get to fill them -- and, naturally, only the people who have been playing the longest (e.g. kids fucking born with a bow in their hand) will be the very best

oh and forget about composing anything, no one will pay you for that

just 2 more cents for you

go talk to the music faculty about this

>tfw hate my autistic STEM job and just wish I could make art all day
>too tired to do anything after I get home

There are a few things to consider here. Firstly, what are your musical goals? Is there any reason you would have to do a music degree to do what you want to do with music? If your goals are to make some kind of popular music, you can do that without a music degree. If anything, a production degree would be more useful than a theory/composition/performance/etc. degree for making popular music, especially since you already have a basic theory background and some level of instrumental skills.

Now the financial aspect - are you paying for school with loans? If yes, you'll have to pay those back somehow. If no, you're more free to do what you want. Another thing to consider is stopping school now to avoid getting any more debt. You really hate comp sci, so if you decide you do need to make money, consider that there are plenty of reliable and clear paths to making a decent amount of money that don't involve comp sci. You could go into a trade for instance.

Whatever you do, the people telling you to push through with comp sci, solely for the money, even though you absolutely hate it, are idiots. Unless you have some path to make a huge mount of money and retire after a couple years in comp sci, you are just wasting time on something you hate doing. Obviously, dropping everything to pursue music is a bad idea if you need to make some amount of money, but you can find a way of making money in a way you don't hate.

You could stay in school because of your education and your future. You will have to be a slave to the student debt system and carry the weight of your student debt for the rest of your life

Or you could be a musician and enjoy your 20's with your friends while you are all still young.

Student debt is forever because there is no bankruptcy option and it will be garnished from your wages by the federal government for the rest of your life. Either way, you have no future. So choose wisely

...continued...

Also, unless your musical goals are specifically to get a degree or learn things that you thin a music program would be the most effective way of learning, i.e. if you goal is just to make music and be a regular musician, just start making music right now. Start writing songs. Start recording. Pick a DAW and start using it everyday and learning everything about it. Start working on the skills to produce recorded music that sounds good and finished. If your goal is to be a popular musician of some kind, these things are way way way more important and a way way way better use of your time than anything you'll do in a music program.

i'm in scotland so i don't have to pay loans if i don't earn over 25k or something similar

i do make music, i think about music all the time and I have a digital piano in my room that I always play. this isn't some random obsession, i have taken music seriously for years now and I'm good at it, I just don't know whether I should purseue it further vs my current degree. my goals are classical oriented, i want to become a clasically trained musician and play in an orchestra or something similar.

in regards to loans, they aren't a factor as I live in scotland.

I don't know much about the classical worId but, I guess it's just down to gauging how good you are/how good you think you can get then. As others have noted, in the classical world you have to be very good to get positions. Since debt is not an issue, I'd do it. Worst case scenario is you end up being a music teacher or something. Even if you make it big in classical I'm pretty sure there's no money there. If you're okay with that financially and otherwise, then that sounds like the way to go to me.

Well if you dont have loan obligations and you truly want to dedicate yourself to music and don't care about the money I'd look into it. I live in America and I need to make money or I'll be fucked in the ass so I'm kinda forced to go one way.

Are you sure there's no course that you semi-enjoy and is profitable?

jesus christ what the hell is wrong with america lol

you need to take out 5 figure debt when you turn 18 just to get an education and a chance at a decent job? and if you try to get a job and can't get a good paying one you're fucked by interest rates and more debt and can't buy a house/car. how the fuck do people live. greatest country in the world? hahahahaa not since the 80s maybe. i pity you guys.

Do a computing in the arts major. It's a little more music intensive than a music minor, and a little more intensive than a computer science minor.
Personally I'm doing a CompSci and CompArts double major. They go together very well for not that much extra work.

I wish I could tell you but yeah we know it's bad here.

Yes that is how it works. It's all a lie

>wants to quit a job that's in great demand for an oversaturated stink hole.
Good luck with that, dumbass..