Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/Lehz2hPeEmU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

True

>genre has been completely dead for 70 years
>it's the best
what did he mean by this?

>I only listen to "culturally relevant" genres

I only listen to genres that have had some form of innovation within the last 50 years

Jazz is culturally relevant. jazz rap is completely oversaturated at the moment

Jazz has been in one of it's most innovative periods for the last decade you just clearly know nothing about it and are looking for an excuse retard.

A) That's just as asinine
B) >implying there has been no innovation in jazz in the last 50 years

Doesn't work like that. No one has ever listened to a jazz rap song/record and then said "Hey! Let me listen to some actual jazz"

Jazz is very much alive.

You guys are funny. I know it's hard to accept the fact that you're favorite genre peaked before your parents were born, but try to take it more gracefully. Just because Kamasi Washington and BadBadNotGood are purring out records does not mean that jazz is in the middle of a resurgence

A) Kamasi Washington and BBNG are both terrible and if they are really the first current jazz artists that come to mind then it's no wonder you are so confused
B) Why would a "resurgence" be indicative of innovation? The current jazz artists who are actually doing innovative work are not very popular
C) Jazz / hip hop fusion is no longer innovative. It was innovative in the 80's and 90's, but then, as now, it's mostly garbage, further proving why valuing only innovation is asinine

How do you form this wrong of an opinion?

>Kamasi Washington and BBNG are both terrible
Correct, and yet they're the biggest names in the genre right now. Literally by miles and miles
>Why would a "resurgence" be indicative of innovation
Resurgence = indicative of regaining interest. This is typically done by offering a fresh and/or modern take on a stale genre
>The current jazz artists who are actually doing innovative work are not very popular
Exactly my friend
>Jazz / hip hop fusion is no longer innovative
Never said it was
>as now, it's mostly garbage
This is arguably the golden age of jazz rap. Are you dumb? TPAB is one of the most successful rap albums of all time. It took the entire world by storm

How do you think this non-argument contributes anything valuable to this discussion?

You're literally just proving my point: caring about music's cultural relevance is asinine.

Except for whatever you're trying to say about resurgence. As you noted the closest thing is to a resurgence in jazz right now is Kamasi Washington who is not doing anything close to "fresh and/or modern," which once again is just further proof of my point stated above.

i just like rock n' roll.

>fresh and/or modern
He has clean, contemporary production
He's signed to one of the most exciting an innovative labels out right now (Brainfeeder)
He's worked heavily with the today's best rappers (practically made the all of the music for TPAB)

Not saying he makes amazing music, but how is this not fresh and/or modern?

Thundercat and Madlib have been doing all of those things for like 15 years

Besides now you're just claiming that Brainfeeder is innovative and exciting (why?) and your argument is that Kamasi must be just by association...

Then your third list is pretty much just going back to the cultural relevance argument. He must be fresh because he's worked with today's "best" rappers? Kendrick Lamar is one of the most popular but I've never considered him to be one of the best rappers. But that's another discussion. What other "best" rappers has Kamasi worked with (not that it's really that important anyway because I still fail to see how it's relevant to this discussion)

also
>clean, contemporary production
kek I'll give allow "contemporary," but "clean"? No way, the epic's production was muddy as hell and it was one of the worst things about the album

Metal is the new Jazz.

>pretending that metal isn't just for greasy skids and thick necked mouth breathers

Metal is fucking great, kill yourself..

Jazz is not dead. It just smells funny.

You spelled Rock wrong.

Different user--who would you say are the artists worth checking out in jazz today?

Is anyone going to be useful for once in their life and post good new jazz if such a thing exists?

youtu.be/Lehz2hPeEmU

Steve Lehman
David Virelles
Yosvany Terry
Ambrose Akinmusire
Craig Taborn
Henry Threadgill
David Binney
Antonio Sanchez
John Escreet
Rudresh Mahanthappa