youtube.com/watch?v=-R7VChN-jKc
cbc.ca/news/entertainment/gord-downie-obit-1.4359906
youtube.com/watch?v=gwNVxvczgCs
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

How tragic

Ha

literally who

literally who?

He basically said he was going to die last year.

F

He was the worst part of that band. Great music, terrible singer.

Well, that's the end of the hip for good. I'll miss him

RIP
Best wishes to you Canadians

literally, who???

i *LITERALLY* don't know who this is

Goodbye Gord. You were a true old stock canook. Just ain't gonna feel the same without you around. Have a good one buddy.

F.

F
Us leafs lost a couple of legends this week. God rest their souls.

Gordon Downie, singer of the tragically hip, iconic Canadian band. Not surprised you don't know them, they are kind of like Canadian oasis (huge and iconic at home but never translated well abroad).

It's been a tough week for us bud, first John dunsworth and now this

>The Tragically Hip

Wow, are they any good? What's their greatest album?

I have a download of their last concert I still haven’t watched, tonight I think I’ll put it on and have a little drinkypoo to go with it.

Fully Completely.

The front man for the best musical act to come out of Canada

Never got to see them live.

Was gonna say this Top tracks include courage, at the 100th meridian, pigeon camera, 50 mission cap.

IT WAS IN BOBCAYGEOOOOOOOON I SAW THE CONSTELATIOOOONS REVEAL THEMSELVES ONE STAR AT A TIME

OH MY GAWD, WHO THE HELL CARES?

~With the Tragically Hip~

Trouble at the Henhouse = Man Machine Poem > Phantom Power = Fully Completely > Music @ Work > Day for Night > Road Apples >> In Between Evolution > World Container >> In Violet Light > We Are the Same > Now for Plan A > The Tragically Hip (EP)

~Solo Work~
The Grand Bounce > Secret Path > Coke Machine Glow > Glow Battle of the Nudes > And the Conquering Sun

There's a new solo album coming out soon which should be interesting

this

>tfw this isn't getting stickied because noone outside of Canada cares

HE'LL BE FINE

Beter

Isn't that one of the things that's always made them so appealing though? PEIslander here

wew canada is no good then

Don't think I'll be able to handle it when (if) Neil dies :(

It's a sad day for Canada, and thus, the world.

that's not saying much

i care user, road apples used to be my favorite album

good post

>Neil Young
>isn't actually young at all

Wow...

I do

If he dies this week it's the end of canada and we'll be begging Kim jong un to whipe us off the map

That it's a band that's uniquely ours?Yeah.

How the heck does this old bag of bones outlive Downie?

No disrespect, I love both of em.

At least he went out like a baller

>announces he has brain cancer
>drags his cancer ridden ass across the country for one last tour, in effect his swan song to his country
>Doesn't die for another year

Almost releases 3 good albums when he can't even remember his name.

Oh Gord no!

Rest in piece, gordie baby :(

you're not hip enough to understand

Yeah fuck. I need more than a little drinkypoo tonight :/

Yup true. I brought up the point that perhaps this tumour growth in his brain [fully and completely] explained Gord's over-the-top stage antics and crazy self expression, etc. to my friends and they thought I was being an insensitive dick.

But seriously though, I can't be wrong

Fuck off contrarian, allow people to be sad.

Old Neiler’s got a few miles left on him. He’s too ornery to die.

>>drags his cancer ridden ass across the country for one last tour, in effect his swan song to his country
i actually cried a bit reading that ngl

Fucking RIP. I never got into Tragically Hip until later in life, but his music came up at a hard point in my life, and helped reconcile some grief I had.
You left a legacy, Gord.

Lol

I dunno he always was kinda eccentric on stage but it could be why he went balls to the wall on his last tour, just didn't give a fuck anymore

He was considerably less energetic on his last tour, I saw them live about a decade ago and he broke his mike stand 3-4 times throughout their set

F

It's not fair first Mr. Lahey, now Gord?
I want it to end

kek

Fuck. I know we saw it coming but it still sucks. Somehow I was hoping he'd be one of those people who just inexplicably lives forever with his illness, like Magic Johnson or Total Biscuit.

>mfw Sup Forums doesn't know what the poets are doing
No sticky for Downie, damn

ITS A GOOD LIFE IF YOU DON'T WEAKEN

who?

That would also make sense. I was abroad for several months when that tour was on, sucked I didn't get to see them one last time

The Hip really wasn't that well known outside of Canada. At least half of these "literally who?" posters are being serious.

youtube.com/watch?v=BCFo0a8V-Ag

F

heaven is a better place today. ):

>tfw I live in Norway and can't listen to the Hip anymore because it's blocked here

I'm Orange Crushed by this news. I'm practically Losing My Religion over here. I guess there's a new Man on the Moon now. RIP Gord.

>Never kissed a girl

Isn't that the Midnight Oil?

Not gonna lie, I just listened to some of the most played Tragically Hip tracks on Spotify, from the Fully Completely album, and it sounds like utter shit to me. A kind of countryish/adult contemporary soft rock sound, with tinny gated drum sound and twangy guitars. The vocals are cringe too. Am missing something, or do you really have to be Canadian to enjoy it? I get that some bands are pretty culturally esoteric (Oasis and Blur are a good example, but I'm pretty sure the yanks enjoy them too), but explain how this is quintessentially Canadian and good?

youtube.com/watch?v=vPKeczB3wrg

I mean, they're no Kanye West.

Just listening to another track which is literally Arcade Fire. (In a World Possessed by Humans).

Why?

why is it blocked?

in a world possessed by the human mind is a great song, it's how i got into the band. try listening to road apples or music at work, i prefer those albums over fully completely so you may find them better.

Standard geo blocking faggots, it's current year who the fuck still geo blocks

REM was America's shit excuse for the Hip.

>we get to feel small
>but not out of place at all

RIP Gord

Who are the other legends?

>he's 38 years old, never kissed a girl

John Dunsworth aka Jim Lahey from Trailer Park Boys

Fuck off you nigger. Go listen to that faggot Ariana Grande and let us Leafs mourn a national hero

rip niel young

Oh shit my dad must be bummed
The hip was his favorite band, and he was already bummed about hearing his health problems :(

Will anyone else feel more sad when Matt passes away?

Who

i wanna die

Late-breaking story on the CBC
A nation whispers we always knew that he'd go free...

;_;

cbc.ca/news/entertainment/gord-downie-obit-1.4359906

I live 3 miles away from the canadian border, and so I get all the radio stations from Vancouver and despite me being a burger I was quite aware of how based this man and this band was. Sad day

Canada is in a dark place this week.....

We lost a great family man who made us laugh and smile for the last 14 yrs. And we just lost the man who sang all the songs we grew up to under our parents or as an adult. Fuck im sad boys. Lahey hurt bad, but now Gordy too? Wtf

Not their best song by any means, but when the bands walks out of the room and you can almost see him llooking back before he actually does. Just thought it was kind of fitting...... Love ya bud. Thanks for the timeless music.

youtube.com/watch?v=gwNVxvczgCs

Theyre most definitely GROWN UPS music, unless youre a kid whos not brain dead.

Been around for 20+yrs in Canada.

Great CAMPING/Campfire tunes with friends.

Dip your arms in the pudding already you queefy cunt.

>Canadian oasis (huge and iconic at home but never translated well abroad).
You dope, Oasis went everywhere during the mid 90s. US, Canada, etc. Thy were huge! They defined Britpop. I'd wager to say Blur is more of a band that had good success in the UK, but didn't get that much attention everywhere else.

They have so many good albums. It is hard to choose. They never really broke through to American audiences, despite kickin around for 30 years. Lots of lyrics/songs about Canada, not very appealing to anyone else but us. I can also totally get why some people didn't like his singing voice. I thought it was fine, but some foreign listeners probably thought it was annoying.

It will hit me. Loved his stuff with the band and solo.

Cheers

He was a MUSHROOM head. Trust me..... I 'ahem", know....

Cmon man, i know youre fishing for a (You) but thats a picture of a man waiting to die, crying because of the reality hes seen regarding the way Canada has been treating Aboriginal peoples.

Try and have a heart. You remember what thats like dont you?

Thats just it.

>adult

You need to be a grown up dude. You'll get it in a decade or so.

those would be some Strange Days

Yes, but that boys still strong.

I know people in here that don’t know Tragically Hip won’t appreciate him or his music, but this man is a legend, and always will be. His music spoke to all Leafs and even others too. He wasn’t in it for the money or fame. He was in it for the passion and happiness he could spread to their fans. He is an amazing man and I will never forget him. Good night, sweet prince.

The Hip wasn't really made for Spotify. To truly enjoy them you gotta go on a road trip out into the wild, bring some friends, beers, lament about girls that you've never kissed and talk to the locals of whichever Saskatchewan town you end up in.

The Hip are more of a feeling