I forgot to drain the water last night and now my fucking shower is frozen...

I forgot to drain the water last night and now my fucking shower is frozen. I managed to thaw the pipes in the shower amd get cold water running, but the water in the external heater must be frozen. Do any of you guys have any ideas for thaw it out? Pic is where the problem is.

Other urls found in this thread:

homedepot.com/p/Frost-King-6-ft-Electric-Water-Pipe-Heat-Cable-HC6A/202262328
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

couple of space heaters

Have you tried that spray de-ice shit?
might not thaw the pipes but it could knock some of that extra shit off

You could set your house on fire, just enough to melt the pipes, then stop the house fire. can't go wrong

If it's a newer tankless and it froze, you might be fucked...

Did you have gas or elec running to it, so it could freeze protect?

You live in an inhospitable climate.

The heating unit is outside the house, won't work.

I can't get inside the unit. I got the screws out, but the stupid cover doesn't want to come off and I'm afraid to force it.

Ain't that the truth. Northern Japan. It actually hadn't been too bad this last until last night.

The worst part is I actually remembered about draining the water to prevent this, but forgot to do it before I went to bed.

It contains a small heater, yeah, but obviously the cold is too much for it.

I don't think nothing going wrong with that plan is something you need to emphasize. What do you think OP is? An imbecile?

who's stupid enough to install a water heater outdoors where it can freeze?

It's a small wall-mounted unit. It can't be installed indoors because of the exhaust it emits.

The Japs apparently

that's what stove pipes are for

hair dryer + long extension cord.

if it's froze it's prolly busted and when it thaws he'll have water spraying everywhere.

I swear, this is what I may have to do.

Well, it should kick itsself on

Here's the problem, theres a ton of small pipes in there, and they will break when they freeze. It's toast if it happens.

Source: I'm a builder(read mexican wrangler)

A Ton of people do this, it's really not uncommon

I hope that isn't the case. It froze once last winter and that didn't seem to harm it.

Are the pipes running to it exposed? Might just be frozen before the inlet to the heater, the heater itself should be fine to well below freezing. Maybe put some heat wire on the piping.

no not in places where it could freeze. if you're a contractor and it freezes and busts while it's under warranty your responsible for it. most people put it in the utility room or a purpose built closet.

They are, and I dashed some just-below-boiling water on them. That fixed it last year, but it isn't working this time.

Even worse, it isn't supposed to warm up for several days.

you need a forced air heater

Yes, yes we do, that's why they have freeze protect and kick themselves on when it gets too cold.

Also no, we're not always responsible. If it freezes while it's powered on and has gas, then yes, it's on us. But if it's turned off and can't self-heat, it's on you for not draining it (that's why we add the pop-off). This info is in relation to North Texas, in the real north, no, they're probably inside, on a conditioned wall, but in an unconditioned space.

Well that's reassuring, I'd get something to warm it up ,and there are a number of ways to keep it hot. Jsut depends on how cold we're talking.

homedepot.com/p/Frost-King-6-ft-Electric-Water-Pipe-Heat-Cable-HC6A/202262328

Something like this is probably necessary, especially if you live in a cold climate and this keeps happening.

I suppose so. I can't imagine a regular hair dryer would work, would it?

It only about -5° right now, but there's little sunlight and the winds are extremely strong.

Thanks, I'll look into that.

C or F?

Woah, damn... Yeah I'd definitely get some heater cable on any pipes that are making contact with exterior walls and such.

that's pretty chilly

I gots me one of these that runs off of diesel, kerosene, or jet fuel. Even tho it creates a fuckload of heat, it still takes about a half an hour to melt ice in pipes!

C

imagine how long it would take with a hair dryer if it's even possible.

Space heaters user

Ugh, you're right. It turns out I don't actually have a hair dryer either. The only portable source of heat available to me is a kerosene heater. I'd have to find a ladder or something to support it at the right height, though. I'm out of ideas otherwise.

I keep hoping as the day wears on it might warm up enough to start flowing again, but it's almost 2pm and looking doubtful.

user, from now on when it gets cold like that just open your tap a bit so it drips slowly. That will keep your pipes from freezing up.

Canadian here.

I know, that's what I should have done. Hell, even my kitchen sink was frozen this morning, but I got it running with just one pot of boiling water.

BTW, I'm a Canadian expat from Ottawa. Where you at, bro?

that'll prolly work, but it may take a while.

Hours. Considering the heat that comes out of the “jet engine” heater while running off jet-a is about 10 times in both heat levels, and in quantity/airflow, and that still takes about half an hour. And it makes the most heat while running off of jet fuel, opposed to either kerosene or diesel fuel. Even a heat gun would take hours, and heat guns are like hair dryers on steroids

Northern Alberta. You are lucky. You missed out on some of the nice -30 to -40 we have had this winter .:)

yeah he's not going to get a hot shower tonight.

Yeah, it sounds hellish over there. The coldest it's been here so far is only about -7°, but my little house is basically uninsulated and there's no central heating, so I feel it much more.

Yeah, I think I'll just end up joining my wife at the onsen.

just keep an eye out for leaks when it thaws you don't need a big ass water bill on top of everything else.

Alright, I'm gonna go find a ladder and take one more stab at it. Thanks for the advice, Sup Forumsros.