Anyone ever been to a psychologist before?

Anyone ever been to a psychologist before?

Is it worth it?

I was thinking of going to see if it could unlock some mental stumbling blocks and allow me to pursue my career more ferociously.

Anyone have any interesting stories on going to a psychologist? Is it a giant waste of time and money?

Pic unrelated

Psychologist are a waste of money, all they're there to do is drudge up your past and get you to rely on them as a sounding board.

Talk to a friend about your problems, not someone you have to pay to care.

I know people who went through some tough shit and psychology helped them to get over it.
I have anxiety and depression, personally, i got pissed and gave up on it. Maybe I got unlucky and only met bad professionals, or maybe it's just a taste thing.
There once had this lady who would cry every time I'd tell her something that would made me depressed.

Except psychologists actually studied the human mind and know how to deal with problems properly.

It definitely is worth trying.

at your pic:

white men with sticks up their asses vs. all kinds of ppl being able to express their feelings.

progress :)

Introspection is free, psychologist are about a dollar fifty a minute.

I don't need to pay someone to do something I can do myself

>all kinds of ppl being able to express their feelings.

Their feelings about how they are victims and need safe spaces.

Good luck with the crippling depression and anxiety running towards you.

This. Talk to a best friend, or a couple or a trustworthy family member or two.

Once you're starting to get over it do some shrooms with a sitter, either in real life or with a sitter on the #tripsit IRC.

>serious white males intent on the betterment of themselves and mankind

VS

>Fat affirmative action retards who major in gender studies

Yale, the jew factory. Good riddance

>men v. children

>Talk to a friend about your problems
Implying everyone has one

Nope not worth it and don't do anything for you.

>psychoLOGist

wouldn't they have knowledge though in helping you do something like mental exercises for example to help you overcome something?

im not really depressed i just want to figure out a way to achieve more.

no

isnt years of studying the human brain worth anything? or is it truly all BS?

not really concerned about the money, more my time and figuring out whether its worth bothering with or not. not willing to do drugs.

I certainly don't have one anymore. He died after I watched him fight leukemia for 9 years. That doesn't mean that still isn't the best thing you could do.

If it's the family you're born to or the family you choose, your problems are more important to the people you don't have to pay to listen.

>That doesn't mean that still isn't the best thing you could do
Never said it wasn't

They guide you into finding the answers yourself. I have been going off and on for awhile because it is frustrating. If you have to pay money for it, I'd try just free writing for an hour for free.

Why do we dress so horribly in this century? I look back at other centuries, even first half of 20th century, and everyone dressed up properly.

They're about as effective as you make them be. All they do is ask you about you so they can tell you about you juuuuuust enough to get another session. Whatever "progress" you make you could make by having either a conversation with friends / family or by simply introspection.

If you're this motivated to succeed then turn that attention on to yourself for a while. Identify your own flaws and figure out how to improve them.

If you can't do that then figure out how to do that. No one can tell you how to be you.

If you've been abused or seriously traumatised then counselling will help with that a lot, but if you haven't then you're wasting your money.

Went there with self diagnosed depression
Was told that I sounded quite reasonable and there was no illogical fixations etc.
>Welp, it's official, the life I have to endure and the world I live in actually sucks.

I'm not saying you are, just sharing my own experience.
I think you should try and see, the first few consults are definitely going to feel useles, it's just until the professional gets to know your story and how you think.
Then, maybe you'll get the answers you need.
One thing is certain, it's definitely not going to work if you don't give it a shot.

This is pretty much it. No matter what they do, physchologists are at their job, and like any career there are good amd bad.

Some mechanics rip you off for an air filter, some doctors treat symptoms instead of fixing the problem, both do that because it gets more money no matter how unethical.

>psychologist
They're what happened to Yale.

That's interesting.
So instead of trying to cure your depression they decided your depression was justified because the thoughts that were causing it were rational.
What on Earth did they recommend then? Did they tell you to just distract yourself to forget about it?

Someone decided wearing casual but different shit everyday was more fashionable.

Vs wearing the same suit every day.

THIS

Hey fuck you, I have 7 pairs of the same slacks and 17 of the same shirt. It's perfectly reasonable to do that.

But a few good books and study psychology yourself. It will be a hell of a lot cheaper than seeing a professional, and you'll pick up a valuable new skill.

That or just listen to some of Jordan Peterson's youtube lectures.

Fucking hippy detected.

Pretty much. Gave some pills to help me sleep better. And every session ends with " We don't know how to help you "

Downsides of free health care I guess. They don't give a shit if you are dragging yourself out of the bed and holding a job ( way underemployed )

On the days I don't work, I sleep upwards to 18 hrs a day.

I only work because I have no friends or family to lean on. ( Temp worker status. Healthcare is free, back to warzone if not working )

I said slacks.

Do you exercise at all? It is kind of amazing just how much of a difference doing that and even changing your diet can make you feel.

I said " fashionable " faggot.

Don't get me wrong. I have 3-4 pairs of one set I'm wearing. All articles chosen for being able to be dumped in the same washing cycle and tumble dryer. I honestly don't have the energy to follow the fashion, decide what to wear or separate my laundry.

Lifting + high protein high fat diet. Alternating far for carbs on lift day.

Weight is average, bodyfat is around 13%

I decided at some point in the last 10 years, I'd rather be just depressed. Instead of fat and depressed.

Do you do any running or biking at all or is it only lifting?

Tried running and biking. Both feels even more pointless than the rest of life.

Hey Sup Forums. Avid lurker here.
I go to the psychologist once a week, due to my mental illnesses; OCD, Panic Disorder, SPD, Aspergers, GAD and Anxiety induced paranoia.

It is wonderful to get things out there, with them not telling anyone, its basically someone who will gladly take all the shit you have to deal with, and put it on their shoulders, and converse.

They don't reject you, and it's honestly the best decision I have ever made.

> I was thinking of going to see if it could unlock some mental stumbling blocks and allow me to pursue my career more ferociously.
If anything they will try to do the opposite. Their end goal is to have clients. If you are happy and at work all the time, that’s not in their favor.

Quick edit; healthcare is free here in Denmark

Degeneracy is progress now

This nigger gets it. They'll "discover" some "buried" bullshit and have you focus on that instead of actually improving yourself while telling you that you need to keep going with them to improve yourself.

Merica, northerners

Also, drugs. How hard do you think it will be to pursue your career more ferociously when you’re taking xanax or adderall for your ”mental stumbling block” on a ”temporary” basis or until you just plain ”discover” that it’s the pursuit of your career which results in the mental stumbling block?

The best argument against professional psychotherapy is knowing psychologists before or during their time at college. It’s a meme that people get into the profession as a means to fix themselves, and then realize that they have to make a career of this too late, and it’s completely true.

Before I was married I kept a list of not-close friends or acquaintances that I would call up one every few months to go out drinking with, and we would comiserate for a while before getting back to everyday life.

Most shrinks are so crazy themselves they use YOU to get better.

see a psychiatrist

Giant waste of time and money for me. I was using it to try to get over my ex but it failed miserably, led to me obsessing over that dumb bitch even more. I think resources and time would be better spent on other ways to get over your roadblocks.

What about running a road race (5k or longer) or doing a triathlon? It is a good thing you are doing the lifting and staying active, I was just trying to think of something that could be a challenge for you and give you some reason to want to train harder than you normally do.

exactly. or read a social psychology or mental disorders book on yourself. pretty much everybody has some kind of mental disorder. they have terms for everything nowadays

Dont go see a psycologist. Ill listen to you and tell yiu to stop being a faggot for half the price.

Should update the photo to the 2018 version featuring the new minority of brown trans non binary other king whatever the fucks.

>"more ferociously"
Holy fuking shit nigger