Does it bother you that you're not living in a big city? Would you move to one if you had the chance?

Does it bother you that you're not living in a big city? Would you move to one if you had the chance?
I don't understand how can people be content with living in small villages or towns.

Can you define a "big city"?

For example, we have only one city bigger than 1mil people

>Does it bother you that you're not living in a big city?
>population nearly 17 mil.

I live in a big city and I barely ever leave my borough.

No. I don't like big cities and the lack of living space.

But I live in a big city 8M people and 18M more in its metro area
I hate the metropolitan area tho

Helsinki would count, I guess. But what kind of taints it is the "remoteness". I would still feel kind of a yearning to move closer to central Europe.

Well, the question was meant for people who live in small towns or villages.

17900000 acc to wiki

does bosnia even have any "big" cities?

I moved from Madrid to a 3k inhabitants place and it was okay (but I eventually moved from there too)

Ya. Especially since I grew up in a non-shit city. Moving to the suburbs here feels like a huge downgrade in life quality.

No it's quite cozy.

Don't you ever get an itch to go an explore?

But there's so much more stuff to do. Museums, cute little cafes, nice places to eat, lovely parks, nice public transport, beautiful narrow streets to take walks in (only applies to few cities though).
I'm not even a person that's outgoing or sociable, but knowing that I'm potentially missing out on all of that is horrible.

It's called nature

No and that's why I hate it. After spending a month in Madrid, going back to my place feels like punishment.

I'm living in a 15m city and I hate it.

No, i want to be alone.

It bothers me that I live in a big city

No I hate big cities. Anything over 30k is shit tier. The only nice city I've lived in would be Singapore.

>singapore
>nice

Singapore is nice though

>Asian city
>Nice

I know that feel, moved from the city 3 years ago. miss it too much. Seeing different people, ideas and faces each time did good to me more than seeing the same shit everyday.
Yet... We don't really have "big" cities. Tel Aviv metropolitan area has about 3 million people in it and the second biggest place is Jerusalem with about 800K people in it.

I moved from Stockholm (biggest city in Sweden) to a small cabin in the far out countryside.
I'm the last house on the road in a tiny village. Closest neighbor is about 5 km away.
City life is torture.
Here I can step outside and it's quiet. Just nature. Perfection.

yes. Very much so.

The only thing that bothers me is you can make much more money doing less in a big city. That's basically it. Big cities are full of minorities and government workers do I will pass

>you can make much more money
You spend more.

I could sell the apartment my parents will leave me in İstanbul move somewhere else, _at least_ buy 3 houses and live off the rent
I would have about 280.000 dollars. That's with how weak Turkish lira has became. I could have 400.000-500.000 before

Lucky bastard..I'm stuck in Stockholm..
Too much people, too much traffic. It's never quiet and you can't really be alone. And it's not even a big city compared to others in the world..
Fuck I hate cities. I grew up in the countryside.
Fresh air, nature, forests and lakes.
Now I'm surrounded by concrete, pollution and stressed people...

Large cities are containment zones for utterly worthless people.

This meme was debunked too many times. Big cities have have lower prices because of variety and market competition. Half of my relatives live in Moscow and their expenditures are much smaller than mines. Aside from rent and public transport everything else is cheaper

it bothers me that I don't live in Poland

Nope, I'd rather kill myself than live in a huge city.

I prefer the countryside as someone who grew up in a big city.

I do live a bigger city, it's horrible.

No. I live in the countryside and I love it.
My daughter loves it, my wife loves it.
Neither of us would ever move into any kind if city.

For those of you who prefer the countryside or smaller towns, how do you deal with situations like having to drive to town to buy groceries or not being able to just leave your house/apartment and enjoy the variety of life?

Yes.

>Would you move to one if you had the chance?
I will after graduating.
I grew up in a mid-sized sity (~500k, second largest in Greece). However Athens is a fucking shithole and I'd never move there by choice. I don't know if it's representitive of other big cities though. If it is I'll just stick to mid-sized cities.

Visiting cities is fine but I'd rather not live in them

>how do you deal with situations like having to drive to town to buy groceries
I do what people have always done. I grow food. I hunt it. And fish it.
Once a month I drive to the store in town to buy other stuff. Have no need for anything else.
>not being able to just leave your house/apartment and enjoy the variety of life?
Are you for real?
Yesterday I took my wife and daughter out on a hike around the lake. My little girl was chasing frogs, picking flowers and running around as happy as she could be.
Me and my wife was just enjoying the sight.
Last week we all went horseback riding.
If you need artificial entertainment to enjoy life, then you are not living..
>pic related, my "grocery store"

Well for one, there's the view. Then there's the idea of actually owning a considerable amount of land that's yours. Getting groceries also isn't that far, every village usually has a market thing. You can also have some chickens that will provide you with eggs and meat and some people get cows and sheep too. Not a lot, just enough to sustain yourself with additional food. There's a strong sense of community as well. Most people know you or know of you and when you get board, you go to others' house or you invite them to yours and you have coffee and talk about stuff. People in villages and stuff also larger families which is fun in my opinion.

Are you some teenager writing our his fantasies?
Because the only other scenario is that you're yet another lazy farmer living on government subsidies. Or do you trade the hares you shoot for gas, internet and computers?

>Most people know you or know of you
This is fun until you have whatever kind of personal problem that immediately becomes of public domain.

>Or do you trade the hares you shoot for gas, internet and computers?
No? I drive to work and earn my paycheck.
I work as a tourist guide.
Like many others up here.

Probably trying to make Sweden not seem cucky by being as anti-stereotypical as possible.

>hey dad what's that
>Sup Forums
>why do you spend hours on it a day

I'm living in the suburbs of Paris and it's terrible. You have all the problems of a big city (full of violent immigrants, polluted, costly, dirty, unsafe, etc.) and all the problems of a small city (uncultured, boring, ugly architecture, always the same people around, etc.) with none of the advantages.

>b-but you've got tons of great stuff near you!!
Yeah, all the interesting stuff is at least one hour away... if you take like 5,000 different buses and subway lines. And everything is too expensive by the way. So you never leave your horrible neighborhood, because it's almost never worth it.

Big cities are only good if you are rich enough to live in the centre and pay, pay, pay for everything. Otherwise they are hellholes, and I say this as a person who only likes the city life.

>I don't know if it's representitive of other big cities though.
It isn't. I've been in quite a few cities in Europe and Athens was the shittiest one by far.

Good. imo we should burn Athens to the ground and rebuild it.

>at least one hour away
But aren't places like Vincennes and Saint-Denis relatively affordable? They're not that far away with the metro

I live in a city of 400,000 people. It's the perfect size, and I really wouldn't want to deal with the traffic, housing prices and immigration in a larger city.

This. It looks like fucking Syria

city living is comfy

>Vincennes
One of the most expensive cities in Europe, real estate costs at least 8,000 euros per m2. If you're not a rich widow, forget about it.

>Saint-Denis
Much cheaper (still more expensive than the best neighbourhoods of non-Parisian cities, at 3,000 euros per m2), but it's an absolute brown shithole. The worst of the worst.

>florida

What about Villejuif or Ivry?

I like it but this place has a bias for rural shitholes.

City life is wayyyyyy better than any alternative in NA and probably places wrecked by the soviets, but European village life seems so comfy. You wake up in your four hundred year old house, walk to your laid-back job, stop at the bakery on the way home, hang around with the community, etc. Seems really nice.

I live in a pretty small town just outside of Seattle and it's great. I drive for half an hour and I'm out in the woods, or I take the ferry across and I'm right in the middle of downtown.

I never want to live in the sticks again.

>What about Villejuif or Ivry?
I'm around there. Count one good hour to get to the centre of Paris, because you have to catch to the bus that will lead you to the subway in the first place. And those buses are unreliable. You wait them for a long time, they don't come, they're stuck in the traffic, etc.

It's probably the same thing with Saint-Denis, which has the worst subway line of all anyway (the line 13, infamous for having "pushers" like in Japan because it's always fully packed with people).

Hey Balkan friend, I was just in Madrid too (though only for a few days for touristic purposes)

It's a great city but I hated how no one could speak fucking English

Yeah I know about the line 13, but it always surprises me why the heck would it be so packed, even when the 1 has more passengers and it's not that packed (I guess automatisation helped), even the 4 doesn't seem so terrible when I use it. Is it because the traffic is concentrated ina certain segment? Saint-Lazare-Montparnasse I guess?
Hopefully the extension of the 14 will improve things.

I went to Toronto(metro population 6 million) and it was fucked

>massive 16 lane freeways, traffic was fucked took forever to get around
>public transit is overloaded and there's too much sprawl for it to be effective
>endless sprawl with giant powerlines and highways cutting through it
>a shitty old ass house is 1 million dollars
>rent prices are fucked because nobody can afford a house

Also 6 million is tiny compared to other cities in the world, I've never been to a hypercity like New York or Tokyo, I want to though just to see

>le ebin florida meme
kill yourself reddit scum

toronto looks cold and lonely, and it's like the warmest canadian city.

>driving in a city
You deserve every bad thing that happens to you.

I envy your life swedebro. God bless you and your wonderful white family living the dream

Yeah Toronto is not that good of a city, it's just a less shitty Los Angeles at best. You should try Montreal or Vancouver

This reminds me that I broke up with my gf because she was living on the other side of Paris--thus it took me at least 90 minutes to go to her place.

At some point I couldn't bear wasting three or four hours every day in public transport, just for her... She was a nice 7.5/10 athletic girl, we had solid sex, but once again, it wasn't worth it. The travel was way too exhausting, too time-consuming, too tedious.

(Line 13 goes from one the most populous French department (93) to 2 big stations of Paris (out of 4), so it's central for too many people at once. And the carriages are too old, too slow, don't contain enough people, etc. Indeed the extended 14 will be a game-changer (you seem knowledgeable!), as well as the new lines 15 to 18 for the "Grand Paris".)

By the way I had to take the line 13 to see my gf and it was the worst part every time. :)

>grew up in small town of 5000 people
>now live in vienna with 1,8 million people

It's shit. Appartments are outrageously expensive and there is noise 24/7. I want to go back, but there is no work on the countryside.
Fuck cities, I hate them.

paris is too big
I live in Grenoble, my gf is in Lyon and we do just fine, it takes an hour for me to drop by anytime I want

I hate big cities and everything that comes with it.
I currently live in a small city of only around 36,000 people and it is very close to a big city, which is nice because then if I ever need to go to somewhere in the big city I can just make a day out of it.
But even the city I'm living in now is starting to become too populated for my liking

my simple life goal here

Yep, I know the Lyon-Grenoble connection quite well, and it's more realistic to have your gf in another city like this, than to cross all Paris like I did.

In certain cases, it can even be faster to do Paris-Lyon in TGV than to go from suburb to suburb in Paris...

Anyway, I'll have to move to a smaller city next year for work, but I'm bitter just thinking I won't be living in a 10+ million city.

(Sorry for mediocre English y'all, it's 2 AM)

>Paris is too big
It's not compared to other european cities, Paris is dense af.

Yeah, i visit Paris every year so I kinda know the system+i'm a public transportation nerd.

Anyway i'm sprry user, I know that feel, here in Rome is even worse, we only have 3 lines and it sometimes takes me 1 hour and a half to go to my partner's place (I also had to take a secondary branch and sometimes had to wait 15 minutes for the train).
Terrible, but worth it as long as there's a real non-sexual interest and one can use the car for night dates. Also the trip is usually not packed and I always have a seat so I guess it's more bearable.

t. ecatepense
Kys faggot

>4.3 million people (urban area)
>3 lines

Oops.

A-at least you have good weather and beautiful monuments to watch between two trips!

Is there work for English teachers in the countryside? I want to live in a German speaking country to pick up the language and Austria seems pretty /out/ friendly. I'm a native English speaker

A city needs thoughtful design, and less cars

>clean
>modern
>safe
>full of mainly white people
What am I forgetting?

Not at all, Bosniabro. I get the attraction, and I feel it too. But for me it would be something I could only do for like a month or so, like you were in Madrid.

But pic related is the kind of place where I want to live. That tiny house in the distance, give that fucking house and I'll be the happiest man alive.

I love big cities,even though i like to go to the countryside when i can.

I'd rank them like this (cities, not metro area) for the ones i've lived in:

paris > Tokyo > New York >>>> London

>No green
>Buildings everywhere
>Loud
>Lots of cars
And everyone seems to be glued to their smartphones, running from one place to the other. They always seem unhappy. And no one bothers with you, since yure just another face in the crowd, they will never see again.

After two weeks in a bigger city I (literally) get sick of the people, who never seem to have time, and sick of the noise and the dirt.
Even in foreign countries I love the rural area more than the big cities, and the people in rural area are always much more pleasant to be around than the city folks.
Living in a big city would be hell for me.

That is super comfy, I wish britain looked like this

where did you live in London?

Not really, I hate high density living and hope Perth never moves in that direction. I love having a decent sized block with a garden out the back

Singapore is horrible. Completely soulless, filled with autistic people that have no idea how to have fun and everything is illegal

I can't stand how there's people everyone. On the street, on the buses, in the supermarkets etc. you really don't have much privacy.
50-100k cities are much better

One thing about the cities that I like is that there are so many freaks and fucked up people so you feel you got your own shit together whereas in the smaller cities everyone who doesn't get an education and later family with house and shit is looked down upon

Not at all.
>Would you move to one if you had the chance?
Absolutely not. My wife is from NYC, and her immediate family lives in a nice part of Manhattan. I could live there if I wanted to, but it's just not my thing.
>I don't understand how can people be content with living in small villages or towns.
I'm in my 30s, and I live in a very nice rural area. If I need to go to a city, Montreal and Boston aren't too far, and Albany will do for most things.

What big city? I've never lived in a big city before.

Singapore or Kuala Lumpur to near your country?
I live in Tokyo(Nakano-Ward).
The city population is the most big in the world(Tokyo region puoulation are 35 millions).

I live in a "small city" of 165 000, but it's still the largest city around. It's almost entirely unchecked wilderness for hundreds of kilometers in every direction.

I'm originally from Montréal, and there are definitely things that I miss. The transit, the events, the crowds, the wide variety of shopping, food, and jobs. But mostly I miss having bars open past 11pm.

A smaller city is nice, though. You have more of a sense of community (I actually know my neighbours), and while there aren't as many events, the ones that happen are that much more special. Plus without the sprawl, you're a lot closer to the heart of things.

I'd probably move to a big city if I had the chance, but at this point, I don't see the need to. My small city feels more like home.

>no bars open past 11pm.
that's a really depressing feel and I know it first hand.

It's the worst, especially because the monopoly that is the LCBO runs on what are effectively "bank hours". So you can't even buy liquor for yourself after work most days.

Not really. I live the comfy rural life and I would never trade it.

I went to NYC and went around Manhattan and Brooklyn and that's too huge and too many people for me.
I can't imagine living in it and having that be your every day life.

I lived in a big city all my life (Moscow). Fuck that shit. Now I live in bumfuck suburbia and loving it.

> (You)
>Singapore or Kuala Lumpur to near your country?
>I live in Tokyo(Nakano-Ward).
>The city population is the most big in the world(Tokyo region puoulation are 35 millions).

The population of this entire country is 100 times less than that.

Jokes aside, I've lived in kuala lumpur before, it's a decent city, Singapore is soulless like the Aussie said, I cannot imagine to do anything else other than work over there.