I have seen The Shining probably 50 times or something. I am watching it tonight, just chilling, and I realize...

I have seen The Shining probably 50 times or something. I am watching it tonight, just chilling, and I realize, there is a guy in Ullman's office sitting next to Jack while he is being interviewed. The same guy is there when they are getting a tour of the hotel. Ullman's asks him to have their bags taken to the apartment, and all he says is "Fine" that is his only line.
I have read the book twice and I don't have any recollection of a character resembling this.
Fucking Kubrick. I watched the movie, Room 213 or whatever it was, the character isn't mentioned. What the hell? He sits there silently for the interview, and follows them around for the tour, never say anything.

Discuss amongst yourselves. I am going to check IMDB

OP here.
I guess his name is Bill Watson. Though, this sheds little light on the situation.
At first I thought he might be Lloyd the bartender, but I guess not.

Very interesting.

kubrick toyed with the idea that ullman/people involved with the hotel were involved in some way with what happens to the torrance family.

a scene that diane johnson considered a major point in the story was scripted and shot where jack finds an old scrap book about the overlook's past and uses it as material for his writing, suggesting the hotel's growing control over him. in kubrick's original ending written for the treatment, the very last shot of the movie was wendy and danny visible through a window in the overlook riding away in the snowcat, then the shot would tilt down to the scrap book on a table, then a pair of hands would come into frame and take the scrap book away.

he has another line before that

I've never heard of that scene before. I'm glad the end result is what it is, but that would have been a fucking crazy ending.

and in the final scene that kubrick cut out after the opening weekend, in which ullman visits wendy and danny in the hospital and tells them jack's body is missing, the scene ends with ullman giving danny back his ball -- the one that rolled down the empty hall -- and danny giving ullman a meaningful look.

That is such a completely different ending from the one in the movie, and the one in the book, so weird. Or in that ending, is Jack still in the maze?You're right. I just rewound it. Ullman's introduces him, and that's pretty much it.
Someone in anotherthreadon the internet S said thatBill Watson is the name of the character in the book who is Jacks drinking/teacher buddy who recommends him for the job in the first place. My memory isn't thAt good to remember the name, but I do know that in the book that character is not present at the hotel.
Fucking Kubrick. Bring Ullman's back and kill Halloran? That just pisses me off.

Does that suggest that Ullman and the staff were ghosts?

Was the film's ending good? I'm blinded by a knee-jerk disappointment at not getting to see Jack mutilate himself with a mallet and become a shambling Overlook Demon.

More, I think, that Ullman's knew what wasgoingon, knew the risks, and didn't care. And that brings to mind the moon landing theories, and that Ullman is The Man.

As to the existing ending.. I guess I never thought about whether it was "good" or not. It's satisfying, at least. I think Kubrick preferred to have you question the whole oft heftily and everything in it, rather than throw a cheap twist out on the ending. On this one at least. The Shining to me is all about a mood, a consistent vibe of creepiness, rather than the exposition of a moment.

Is that Froggo?

Okay, I guess that works. I don't know anything about any moon landing theories though.

>Or in that ending, is Jack still in the maze?
This was what I was wondering, are the hands grabbing the scrapbook Jack's, or Ullman/some other member of the ghost staff since they were alone in the hotel?

>The entire films is just Ullman fucking with this family and making them crazy for the lulz

haha kubrick the madman does it again

That's just a guy Stanley owed 50 bucks to and so he did the sensible thing and got it written off. Whaaaat, a man's got to eat!

haven't watched this movie yet, it's 5:30 am you guys think I should give it a try or sleep?

do it you coward

Grab some coffee and watch it

Start it if you can watch it from bed. We both know you're not going to feel like watching it anymore once you wake up.

He is mentioned in that room doco, there's a whole point of mentioning him in it dummy

>in the novel, the black guy mentors danny and ultimately saves the day
>in the movie, the black does literally nothing and then dies
What did Kubrick mean by this?

Y'all niggas posting in a froggothread.

Scatman brought the snowcat allowing Wendy and Danny to escape.

I was disappointed the first time I saw the movie, but then I realized that a roque mallet is just about the least scary weapon a movie villain could possibly wield.
Some things just work better on paper.

but that ending wouldn't have implied Jack has always been the caretaker, merely that he's a pawn of Ullman/the ghosts and anyone could have been it. I don't think it would have worked as well