What is Sup Forums opinion on structural films? The works of important artist in the likes Snow, Gehr, Kubelka...

What is Sup Forums opinion on structural films? The works of important artist in the likes Snow, Gehr, Kubelka, Sharits or Le Grice

Rare to see some patrician film discussion on Sup Forums nowadays. I think that Wavelenght is probably the best exemple of a structural film seeing that snow did move the entire underground scene to something less condensed and lyrical like something in the "dog star man" era.

Era of brakhage***

Sounds like they sacrifice the ability to make good movies in order to satisfy a dumb set of criteria. Too avant-garde for me. I don't like 12-tone music either.

What do you like about them?

Wow i did watch wavelenght in 16mm for one of my classes.What a great experience. Also, i hope you did not forget about warhol influence on the mouvement as well. With movies like Empire or Blowjob he kinda is the forefather of structural cinema. Also i was wondering what are your thoughts on metric cinema dear user

Metric cinema? If you mean the films of kubelka well then im glad to say that i love all of his films. Obviously i love arnulf rainer but hey thats a classic. Kubelka has a very interesting way of comparing cinema to music and is very confident in saying that most films lacks a certain rythm. The 24 image tempo thing is still something that i would never have thought of before. What a genius.

Literally maymays

Ur a pleb kid

Le epic avant-garde kino film

I am le patrician amiright xD :)

This is your default answer until you respond:

Most of Sup Forums is too retarded to even understand the basics of experimental cinema. Great idea of making a thread about something that requires a complete understanding of the underground scene and the context surrounding it. I mean i've seen some people namedrop brakhage or deren but i bet they can't even understand the movie. If you haven't read Visionary Film by P. Adams Sitney you can't talk about experimental films.

*tips fedora

is that way

>Snow, Gehr, Kubelka, Sharits or Le Grice

these sound like flavours you'd find in a hispter ice creamery

your condescending post with no actual valuable content whatsoever is really raising the intelectual level of this thread, well done faggot

I think it has something to do with curiosity. I've always been interested in art and everything surrounding it. I think that in order to understand and enjoy structural cinema you have to have a certain knowledge in experimental films.
It puts things in context really. The Book
Visionary film is a good place to start exploring this mysterious world.
One thing that i absolutely love about experimental cinema is the desire to obtain a new form of language, a language that a pure to cinema and film.

Any more recommended readings after that?

>mistaking obscurantism for sophistication

I mean from there its up to you. Most of the importants film makers in the scene have written books. I would recommend Metaphors on vision by brakhage or An Anagram of Ideas on Art, Form and Film by Deren

>Being retarded

>wearing tighty whities "ironically"

>Snow
>Pic related

Hey what a great piece of art !! Im really intelectual :^)

>structural film
What do you mean by this?

It is a film movement

Do you mean structuralist?