Good movie or just eye candy?

Good movie or just eye candy?

Imo a good movie. Movies like "Now you see me" are eye candy.

10/10
Fite me

based Nolan does it again

it's pretty good except for the part where hugh jackman's story turns the movie into sci fi

Good movie

The ending is an asspull

I'm not sure if it's good or if I just have such a hate boner for Nolan that this seems good in comparison. He seems to be alright when he doesn't write everything, although Momento was boring af.

you just got illusioned

are you supposed to root for each character at different times because I just ended up disliking great danton the whole time

wtf nolan is 2deep4me now?????

how is all the supernatural shit explained then?

there were no clones

>The ending is an asspull

Elaborate do you mean the cloning device or the twin? The latter had clues about it all through the movie

Not that user but the cloning had clues (not as many) too, e.g. intro hats/Angier trying to experience his wife's drowning/always trying to replicate rather than create.

This is possible. The only cloning we see is flashbacks when Bale reads Danton's diary which could be all bullshit like when his diary tricked Danton

Eye movie

>Good movie
lol no, kino

Borden never met Tesla but sends the gullible Angier on a wild-goose chase to America. The money-strapped Tesla sees how gullible Angier is and decides to con him out of some money. Tesla and Alley string Angier along, taking his money and showing him a light show with the Tesla coil, until Angier starts to suspect and then they use the cat to lead Angier to the field. The "hats on display" are placed there by either Tesla or Alley to try and convince Angier (after he is led there) that the machine duplicated. When Tesla believes that he has milked all the money he can out of Angier, he gives him the machine.

Angier, realizing he was conned, decides to convince Borden of the same con, believing that, if he could convince Borden the trick was not an illusion but "real magic," it would prove that Angier was the better illusionist. He plans the trick and also has dummies in tanks created, hoping that the curious Borden would follow the tanks to the warehouse and see the "corpses on display," and suspect duplication.

When Borden is in jail, Angier again tries to convince Borden of the "duplication," by providing a journal which suggests how Tesla created a duplicating machine and not a teleporter. Borden is never convinced, though realizes how he was conned and is hanged.

Borden's twin (who were both taking turns as "Borden" and "Fallon") goes to the warehouse and shoots Angier. Angier finally realizes the simplicity of Borden's trick. Angier considers continuing with his plan to convince Borden of the duplication (thinking about telling him a story of shooting a duplicate) but realizes he is dying and has lost, so tells Borden how his goal was always to make the audience believe in the magic and try and forget that it was only an illusion.

>of course, you're not really looking. You want to be fooled

TOO MUCH FUCKING EXPOSITION.

6/10.

Batman vs X-Man was GOAT movie.

Its not X-man its professor X, man

>Angier, realizing he was conned, decides to convince Borden of the same con
And how does he do that?

It's Dark Claw the movie.

No need to pay attention to these idiots. These are possible but are actual 'asspulls'. The clones are part of Angier's dedication, even if it is immoral (in contrast to Borden's dedication to the craft).

> you're not really looking. You want to be fooled
It's not about being fooled into there being clones (what kind stupid interpretation is that?). It's about not wanting to see what makes something as 'amazing' as Angier's trick possible.

Can't you read? Via falsified journals and a magic trick requiring some construction. Don't you even understand how magic works, moron? Why make a dumb post like this? What were your SAT scores?

Don't digestpost at me you fucking motherfucker.

You want to dispute my claims you do so one on one, not like a pussy piece of shit. Fuck you and fuck your mother.

No I meant how he did the magic trick in front of so many people you fucking sperg. Go be a pretentious over thinker for at least 2 more years before replying to me.

What said

Don't you get it user? Because we are told most of the story through the eyes of the characters, 0% of the content is unreliable

That's why fucktards like ruin good movies with retarded theories that don't hold up.

Seriously though, Borden sees the act in person, not just through Angier's journal, so you're right to be bewildered by this fucker's bullshit.

was the cloning device supposed to be a surprise at the end? how could they have made it any more obvious before the reveal?

>was the cloning device supposed to be a surprise at the end?
No it was the fact he was killing himself/them just to get back at Arngeir

But the machine didn't work and that's been proven

this does make sense but seems too complicated to get on the first or even second viewing. Nolan apparently has no intention of revealing it and it doesn't help in the climax of the movie at all and combined with problems like
mentioned I think you are over analyzing it and it was just a cheap (but useful) sci-fi concept.

Terrible movie. One of the dumbest tweests in history (outside of horror).

Then he murderd the actor guy at least

What? The duplication machine does work though. Michael Caine identifies Angier's corpse on a table.

>le everyone is an unreliable narrator meme

Whoa

>le I scored less than 1000 on my SATs poster who thinks his opinion matters because of coddling and safe spaces

wtf are you on nerd faggot?

any piece of fiction, or non fiction in most cases, can be torn apart by saying "le unreliable narrator, the victors write history"

there's 0 evidence of your theory except that

>le they're lying so therefore they're lying

Forrest Gump - was he REALLY in all those stories? We never SAW him except through HIS EYES

The diaries exist in the narrative. Magic is about trickery. The narration intimates that retards like you want to be fooled.

Did Forrest Gump feature any of these specific elements, moron? Please don't reply to me ever again.

Quit trying to justify your shitty reddit theory. There is not one major critic who follows your dumb interpretation.

>SAT scores mattering

Is definitely on Nolan's top 3, but Memento is still far better

Think this movie's great. Better than the illusionist that's for sure.

Illusionist was better

Equal to the Illusionist

Some days I prefer this, other days I prefer the Illusionist

I haven't seen this or The Illusionist

The only superior element of the Illusionist was the soundtrack. Maybe the setting too.

Only faggots would claim that the machine didn't work and also the Illusionist.

My husband and I both say that the illusionist is trash and also the machine obviously did not work.

Story telling in Prestige is much more elegant than Illusionist. Don't know if elegant is even the right word.

But the way you know Bordens secret within the first few minutes of the film due to the bird trick is great story telling.

Reddit movie disguised as Kino

Kino disguised as reddit movie

Scarjo ruins everything with her dumb face pretending to be a real person

How is that proven?

More like YOU want to be fooled. You can't take the movie at face value so you subscribe to some random ass theory based in what, lord knows.

I don't subscribe to others' theories. Wow, such Freudian projection. I watch movies and logically interpret them based on what's presented.

You also posted this. I know you did. I get it now. You lack the capability to interpret movies yourself.

lol!

Prestige is best Nolan's film by far and one of the best movies of all time. Great acting, interesting plot and well-done directing. I don't even see any bad side of this movie.

wtf i love reddit now

michael caine was great

My cocaine is always great

what about christian bale?

He's always perfect.

I think people trying to convince each other that the ending wasn't scifi schlock are giving Nolan far more credit than he deserves.

Also, which knot did Borden do? His diary said he was split on the issue which I thought was a reference to how two people played "Borden". But it still doesn't make sense since whoever was there at the time should remember.

Is it true that Christopher Nolan planned and executed a bank robbery before getting into film directing?

Fantastic movie.

I'll go you one better. Tesla doesn't even have to con Angier, since that entire story is only related to us from Angier's journal, which also reveals itself to be him stringing Borden along.

Essentially, Angier used Tesla's mystique to sell Borden on the very real possibility that Tesla just made the impossible possible.

Correct, and I have no problem believing he'd have zero qualms about killing that twat.

Check 'em

Hooker was in on it. He blamed Borden for the death of Angier's wife, too. There was never a time when he was not firmly in Angier's corner.

>All of it is based on my poor interpretation of what happened and the said interpretation leaves a lot of room for inconsistencies
I mean I'm not really against you interpreting it in your way or anything but you and other people in this thread could use a little more self awareness.

This is a better theory and still makes sense.

Neither man met Tesla. Wow.

Can you comment on the details of the movie or are you limited to making vague comments about what other posters are thinking and/or doing?

Check these

This movie is based on a novel in which someone does meet Tesla and does secure a functioning device. They changed a lot for the film, but given that direct inspiration, claiming neither thing actually happened in the movie is bone headed.

The illusionist is like The Prestige's uglier sluttier cousin. Horrifically bad at every thing it did.

Ugly sluts are way better than regular women

>whoever was there at the time should remember.

HOW CAN HE KNOT KNOW!!

But the response will depend on which borden twin was asked. He isn't going to reveal his lifetime trick when he can just lie in place of it.

The whole argument of Angier was faking doesn't hold up when you can't explain how he was able to fake his death or how he was doing the trick that fooled everyone including the mastermind Borden. It can't have been a body double since Borden and Cutter would be able to see right past it.
To justify these theories you have to come with the conclusions that are purely based on your need of justification and not on the facts and substance. Like you could say he found a better body double or he's a magician, he can fake his death with poison or some other means but like I said, these aren't based on facts.
People put too much emphasis on Nolan's movies for the tweest or shock factor but the movies themselves are more about the themes they're trying to convey than the tweest or shock factor. I don't even know how people can miss this since every character in Nolan's movies is a mouthpiece and the fact that Nolan is not a very subtle director.

I wish I could watch it for the first time again

You're not very good at argumentation and you apparently don't even have a surface-level understanding of magic. You don't even seem to have comprehended magic as it's explained in the film itself. I don't like exchanging messages with people like you. What is your IQ?

You sperging out again and again is not really fooling anyone, your theory is retarded. Go post it on Ribbit for karma or something. Come back here when you get some kind of critical thinking, alright?

Watch the end. Count the bodies. Not the tanks, the bodies.

We can't explain the trick because we never see how it's performed correctly. That's the entire point. Borden's character states it outright to his wife's nephew - "Never tell anyone how it's done. The secret impresses no one." Nolan's doing the exact same thing with the film itself. It's basically commentary on the nature of magic and perception.

How did Angier's trick work? We don't know. We're never going to know.

HOLY.
FUCKING.
SHIT.

Amazing.

Holy hell! Nice catch. Is that during Tesla's demonstration?

No it's 11 minutes into the movie

Oh, when they're ringers out in the audience.

Yeah. before the knot thing

Who's that supposed to be?

he doesn't "try to experience it", he only did it because cutter told him it wasn't unpleasant

It's Angier in disguise.

So how exactly did angier get from the UK to colorado so quickly?
Is there a plot point I'm missing here?

Where does it say it was quick?

He never went.

And in any event, it wouldn't have been a huge time skip, a matter of weeks to a month at most.

Who the fuck is it

>a beard and a hat is enough to fool the average user

Good but you can only watch it once. Not a re-watchable movie because it relies on ending twist.

The best non- Scorsese, non-horror, non-Leone movie. Easily one of the 3 best movies so far this millennium along with Apocalypto and The Departed.

Bonafide 10/10. Anyone who disagrees should leave this board and never return until you understand what makes a film masterpiece.