Does liberal left have a chance to electorally succeed in Eastern Europe...

Does liberal left have a chance to electorally succeed in Eastern Europe? Left-wing voters here tend to be socially conservative and prefer strong, authoritarian leaders.

I used to look with hope at Czech social democrats who have a relatively strong progressive faction represented by current PM Sobotka, Špidla or Dienstbier. Their current cabinet has been pretty successful and popular.

It looks like ČSSD is headed for a heavy defeat in a legislative election in autumn.

Liberal left in Slovakia is very weak. Just a few MEPs from Smer and intellectuals.

There's a new political project - Progressive Slovakia. They have meticuliosly worked out programme based on evidence-based policy, but there's a lack of charismatic leader.

Isn't the Slovakian neo-Nazi party the most successful in Europe and iirc won the youth vote in the last legislative election?
Wouldn't that suggest the lack of success or future for progressive politics in the country?

They won 8%, but I think Golden Dawn in Greece is a bit more popular.

Most of their supporter comes form a protest vote. I don't believe such a large share of my compatriots believe in fascism. They're just expressing their dissatisfaction by voting for the most radical option.

But I agree that there's no particularly large demand for politics with emphasis on human rights and egalitarianism.

>I don't believe such a large share of my compatriots believes in fascism
Majority has a preference for liberal democracy

How far to did Eastern Europe go to the economic right after the Cold War? As in did they sell off their nationalized industries after the Cold War, lower taxes ridiculously, break down the welfare system or...?
(Sorry if unrelated to the thread)

>sell off their nationalized industries after the Cold War, lower taxes ridiculously, break down the welfare system
Yes to all three. Transformation happened during the early 90s, a triumphant age for neoliberalism.

Our political landscape is still tilted to the right (less so in Czechia and Slovakia than in Hungary and Poland).

>Hungary is the most civilized Eastern Euro country

Hardly surprising. If Austria-Hungary still existed, we'd be on par with Western Europe economically and culturally. But Sl*vs had to ruin it, as usual.

Maybe you just started to appreciate it more after you lost it with Orbán.

I want to fill Bohoušek's chocolate hole with my creme supreme

kek

>left
no such thing

this antifa rapefugees welcome slovak againe

Why would anyone want to support the political whores of the left

Maybe if the Berlin Wall fell 10 years earlier, economic transformation would've been a bit more Keynesian-esque. Who knows?

What's wrong with Western European social democracy? I'd like to see something similar here.

They'll say and do anything for a quick buck while fucking over their voter base and country

OP is massive faggot but this is literally every politician ever

Leftists are known for it. At least the conservative politicians care or at least pass policy that make it seem like they care. I'd rather live in a place that's somewhat poorer than have to deal with leftist bs

>Maybe you just started to appreciate it more after you lost it with Orbán.
You're one to talk with that brain dead nazi Fico and his ilk.

It matters little. There's a storm coming. Everyone can feel it in Hungary. Tensions are rising, higher and higher, the people are angry. Furious. They push too far. Orbán will be hanged, and his buddies will be sent running to a thousand directions.

I can't hardly wait.

In Bulgaria we have a big tossup between the ex-socs and the right wing 'EU' party that's half cult of personality about it's leader and half 'only we can stop the commies'.
You also have the Turks(ethnic party), nationalists(muh flag waving party) and some meme guy who owns pharmacies.

Liberals either have to vote for EU-party or vote for some of the memes that fail to pass the 4%. If the memes united into something they could be a relevant force, as eu-party is sure to inevitably hit a decline.

I dislike Fico, but he never tried did went in Orbán's path, even though he had that opportunity.

Lately, he's even toned down his anti-refugee rhetoric since he understands that something big is going to happen in Europe and he wants to have Slovakia on the right side of the future multi-speed EU.

Kek he got a big fat paycheck from the E.U most likely

He thought that xenophobic fearmongering would consolidate his absolute majority, but it backfired spectacularly.

Fico lost votes and was forced into coalition government. Fascist party entered parliament.

The E.U is a sinking ship, he got a paycheck to tone down the anti refugee talk.

you don't know what you're talking about yankee
EU buys public support, not politicians

There's no need for that when 80% of your country's infrastructure spending depends on the EU funds.

>Lately, he's even toned down his anti-refugee rhetoric
Oh really?

"As long as I am prime minister, mandatory quotas will not be implemented on Slovak territory". He has subsequently sought to associate refugees and Muslims with terrorism, claiming that "thousands of terrorists and Islamic State fighters are entering Europe with migrants" and stating that "We monitor every single Muslim in Slovakia".
In May 2016, he stated that Slovakia will not accept "one single Muslim" migrant into the country, weeks before the country was scheduled to take over the presidency of EU. He further stated "When I say something now, maybe it will seem strange, but I’m sorry, Islam has no place in Slovakia. I think it is the duty of politicians to talk about these things very clearly and openly. I do not wish there were tens of thousands of Muslims."

They would have to buy out someone that was openly anti population replacement

seeEU pays for so much shit people will vote out anybody openly against it
people know they will never have a high amount of immigrants moving in when western europe is next door

More examples of them being political whores. They give you welfare and you give them power. Just note that once the arabs take over western Europe they'll go for you

Yes, he shit his mouth almost immediately after election.

Notice how the European Commission keeps threatening Czechia, Poland, Hungary, even Austria with sanctions over non-compliance with refugee quotas, but not Slovakia? That's because Slovakia started admitting them while maintaining strict bureacratic hurdles.

>Their current cabinet has been pretty successful and popular.
Lmao, they are going to be absolutely smothered in a few months.

I will be in Prague during the election as well, will have a celebratory drink when they fall behind even the commies

Andrej Babiš is poaching their traditional voters. Those who favour Zeman over Sobotka - older, rural, conservative.

lmao how is Fico nazi

Slovakia should be nuked to be honest. You people are just as revolting as R*manians, *krainians and S*rbs. Actually, worse, because as big a shitholes they are, at least they're honest about it and stand by their "principles" if you can call it that. Slovaks have none. You just follow others, as you had always done.
Every time I see your flag I feel nothing but deep seated revulsion and disgust.

>In November 1956, the director of the Hungarian News Agency, shortly before his office was flattened by artillery fire, sent a telex to the entire world with a desperate message announcing that the Russian attack against Budapest had begun. The dispatch ended with these words: "We are going to die for Hungary and for Europe."

He didn't die so Hungary would become a soft-dictatorship, a Trojan horse in the EU. He died for a democratic, European Hungary.

I mean, Slovakia is in the Eurozone. You shouldn't be mad at us for doing everything in our power to stay in the integrative core of the EU around Germany and France. That's our vital interest.

>Does liberal left have a chance to electorally succeed in Eastern Europe?

They were BTFO in the last parliamentary elections in Poland so no, they do not get to succeed.

Why would any of you want progressive policies or open doors to MENA refugees and immigrants?

>In November 1956, the director of the Hungarian News Agency, shortly before his office was flattened by artillery fire, sent a telex to the entire world with a desperate message announcing that the Russian attack against Budapest had begun.
He also asked for help. It's just that nobody gave a fucking shit, because the West only cares about their own interests, touts they stand for human rights then they tramples all over them. America, Bongs and the Frogs fucked us over in WW 1-2 then during Trianon. But it didn't end there, nope. They served us up to Russia on a silver platter.

>He died for a democratic, European Hungary.
Then he died in vain. We survived however we could. If it meant serving Russia, then that.
We hate the West. We hate Russia. And we hate you too.

No you are just edgy kid

No, this is just the generic Hungarian mentality, and I'm one of the liberal ones.

Just a taste what it's like to live in this country. Welcome! Enjoy your stay. I've been living in this hell for 25 years.