Have you ever wondered about merry and pippin and how they just went along with it without question after meeting sam...

have you ever wondered about merry and pippin and how they just went along with it without question after meeting sam and frodo in the fields that day?

like, they knew they were tagging along for a journey that will easily last for years and yet they never bothered to notice their friends and families?

could you imagine how it must have been for their families? their sons, grandsons, brothers, friends or what not went to steal some veggies one day and never returned afterwards. what it must have been like for them? i bet they even accused that farmer of killing them and hiding their corpses.

too bad that old hack tolkien never gave more insight.

Merry and Pippin were like 75 years old, they can go do whatever they like.

sure, but my brother is 40 years old and if he went to a neighbours field to steal some carrots and never returned, i'd fucking file a missing person report

The movies just sort of gloss over all the details. In the book, Gandalf had already conspired with Merry and Pippin to ensure Frodo makes it to Bree. They just sort of get caught up in the chaos after that.

They might have sent a letter from the tavern they ended up in before they really started to move away from the Shire.

>too bad that old hack tolkien never gave more insight.

Yeah, there was a whole "conspiracy" involved. They were pretty much in it for the long haul.

>In the book, Gandalf had already conspired with Merry and Pippin to ensure Frodo makes it to Bree
this is literally not true

i think you over-estimate the complexities of the hobbit communities in middle-earth

so you're basically saying it was normal in hobbit communities to walk away from your house and return 6 years later like nothing ever happened?

a. They were fully grown independent adults
b. They also left at the same time as Sam and Frodo, who were known to have gone on some sort of quest with Gandalf. Considering they were all best friends people would likely have made the connection and just assumed they left together
c. They were only gone for just over a year
d. There's nothing to indicate that their relatives weren't worried, indeed most of the Hobbits seemed quite surprised to see them return, indicating many HAD perhaps written them off
e. They had multiple long sojourns in towns, which served as opportunities to send letters or messages back home, in Bree or Rivendell or maybe even later

Their families were taken hostage you fucking faggot. Go read the books.

negro they hide out in a house and reveal that they are in on the plan and everything

>75 yo

fucking really?

no

pippen late 20s, merry 30s

its not like they couldve written a letter in riverdale or bree or wherever

Mail does exist in middle earth, right? or atleast send some ravens

even if none of the explanations are there, when there are riders and shit around and your friend is in danger you probably want to help him out. They probably figured they maybe could turn back at Brie. But then the riders followed them there and they met strider at which point they probably figured it was best to keep going. Then at Rivendell they weren't gonna turn back either because, gotta save the shire.

i'm sure a courier service was active in the north, but during the war of the ring where entire warbands were marching about.
who's going to deliver letters at a time like that?

actually, in the books they had a huge part about how frodo was moving out to the border of the shire and sam,peppin and mery where helping him.

I'm not shitting you, the LOTR books have a part about moving out to another house.

The intro is really slow.

Surely you could be the only courier brave enough and charge buckets worth of gold

It's not normal, Hobbit society is very insular so people leaving are treated as local crazies, the only reason they pretended to give a shit about Bilbo was because he had a shitload of money and they all wanted a cut when he died

in the books, the ending is that the shire had been fucked too, most of their friends and family were probably dead/

I think anyone that knew Merry and Pippin knows they are very flakey and probably wander off all the time.

Why didn't Sauron send Orcs and shit to destroy the shire after finding out baggins is who they are looking for?

Because Orcs don't live close enough to get there without getting fucked by Rangers, Rohan or Elves. Which is why Saruman turns up when everyone else is busy

This. He's moving to buckville or something. Also merry and pippen were already peculiar by hobbit standards. In fact they and frodo were from a lineage of hobbits who have gone out to do adventurous things (the took line specifically, that name is even namedropped in FoTR) but ofc you faggots haven't read the books so just stick with shitposting

They would basically have to march through every enemy just to raze a place which plays no strategic role.

If helms deep had fallen it might have been more viable.

yea, it seems someone with some decent tracking skills would be able to avoid all the worst shit between cities if you had a horse

i thought they were all in their 50's

HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA

seriously, fuck off.

The plan wasn't Gandalf's, though. Sam, Merry and Pippin had noticed Frodo walking around the Shire (for months, mind you) muttering to himself about the ring and about leaving the Shire. They formed a plan to help him, since he was doing fuck all about it himself.

And Frodo is a fucking retard in the books. The first few chapters, at least. Goes around talking to himself about the ring and leaving the shire, then tells everyone he meets on the way to Bree his name and that he has a magic Ring. Farmer Maggot, Tom Bombadil, random fucking Elves, you name them, if Frodo ran into them they learned about his plans to take the ring to Rivendell.

He even tells Fatty Bulger exactly what he's doing and where he's going and just leave Fatty exactly where everyone else exects Frodo to be.

First three chapters of Lord of the Rings were written as a sequel to the Hobbit, so they have the same whimsical style. Tolkien thought about editing them to match the tone of the rest of the book, but decided he liked the incongruity because real ancient books often contain such juxtapositions, so his fake ancient book should, too. This is also why Bombadil is in the story, Tolkien describes him as a Hobbit folk tale that somehow got mixed in with the history of the war of the RIng.

it is literally said bilbo was only adventurous hobbit, merry and pippen were never mentioned

Which brings into question if any of that shit with Bombadil even happened, but they still had the swords

Except both Merry and Pippin had accompanied Frodo on his wanderings across the Shire and Buckland, and Frodo had literally met Elves before the events of LotR.

Merry and Pippin were described as being in their 'tweens', meaning their twenties. Hobbits are considered to come of age once they hit 30. What I don't understand, however, is whether they were physically at the same level of maturity and aging as a human at 30 or if hobbits simply had a longer lifespan. Furthermore, did they have the maturity of a 30 year old or would they be at the same maturity as a human who'd just reached 18?

Can any bookfriends help me out here?

Is Frodo gay or just asexual?

No one is gay in Middle Earth

How do you know?

I live there

Disproves your assertion then.

Because Tolkien was a devote Christian, and homosexuality is against the word of God.

Name a canonically gay character from Middle Earth, you can't

the burden of proof is on you son, I didn't make the claim

>I live there

>Name a canonically gay character from Middle Earth, you can't

You

REKT

Did it really take 17 years of research from Gandalf to ascertain that the ring Bilbo gave to Frodo was the one ring?

Why would he think it was? A ring that can turn you invisible (which I don't think Gandalf even knew) isn't exactly a great deal of information considering how many fucking magic rings exist in Middle Earth

I thought the only magic rings that existed were the 20 mentioned?

YOU'VE BEEN IN MARMER FAGGOT'S CROP

no, there were apparently lots of lesser rings, the one/three/seven/nine were the peak of the craft.

Wrong dumpledore is gay

Those 20 are the best, they had plenty of magic rings before that, Eregion was famous for it before Celebrimbor made his shit

15 years of weed and elf pussy one year of research and one more year of pussy

Do Istari have penises? If yes, why?

for the elf pussy

So much for not being directly involved

How many years went from the first film to the last one?

I appreciated this post

Holy fucking shit. I was watching the fotr with my siblings last weekend and I pointed out that in the books he's gone for several years and I was met with loud protests so I figured, alright maybe I'm wrong so I settled with "Well at least six months or something". Fucking shits, I knew I was right. Why are people so adamant in certain opinions when they're completely wrong, fuck.

if you question something as highly regarded as lotr, you'll always be met with protest. anything that is even SLIGHTLY of critique of it will be seen as "OH DO YOU HATE IT? HUH? WHAT, ARE YOU SAYING IT'S BAD??? IT CANT BE, IT'S LOTR!!! PERFECTTIOONN" etc. I know the exact kind of person you're on about.

barely over 1

It wasn't like they were just any old Hobbit's though, they were the heirs to the 2 most important clans.

that's subjective though, this is just embracing an objectively false fact for some fucking reason

>there will be never anything as grand in scale from behind the scenes, to onscreen, to the great length, time and energy spent on this beast of a series ever again

how do you cope with this, I don't know how

Wait for when old Chris dies and they do Silmarillion shit, then we'll see true shit

>Silmarillion
it'll just be another hobbit trilogy, you know it be true

lotr trilogy came out at the perfect time, and every thing aligned in the universe for it to be so

do I even need to go into the many, many things of our society today that would infect a Silmarillion film

That's why I said it would be true shit, it will be quite possibly the worst film ever made. And it will be made

Based Chris is gonna outlive hackson, trust me

It could happen, but you probably need to have a big "name" for that to happen. I am not very good with economics, but even adjusted for inflation the lord of the rings movies didn't have that big of a budget compared to big movies today and they got some nice profits.

>most of their friends and family were probably dead/

They weren't. 19 Hobbits died in the battle of the Shire.

>Silmarillion
literally noone gives a shit about that one m8

They can market it as LOTR nostalgia shit though, they'll fucking do it

>What I don't understand, however, is whether they were physically at the same level of maturity and aging as a human at 30 or if hobbits simply had a longer lifespan.

A bit of both, and it's actually 33 that they come of age, nto 30. Hobbits didn't live exceptionally longer than humans, Old Bilbo was 111 when he left the Shire for good and he was considered remarkably old but not a freak of nature (of course he had the Ring that prolonged his life, but it shows that 111 isn't an inconceivable age for a hobbit)

>What I don't understand, however, is whether they were physically at the same level of maturity and aging as a human at 30 or if hobbits simply had a longer lifespan.

They have a longer lifespan. A hobbit at 30 is the physical equivalent to a human at 20. It's pretty common for Hobbits to reach over 100 years. The oldest recorded hobbit was Gerontius 'Old Took' at 130 years old. At least until his grandson beat the record at 131 before he sailed west with the Elves.

>Furthermore, did they have the maturity of a 30 year old or would they be at the same maturity as a human who'd just reached 18?

The latter.

Tolkien didn't think it important enough to mention.

Yes, their best friend Frodo was heir to Bilbo's fortune, arguably making him the richest Hobbit in the Shire.

>yfw the Hobbits weren't comfy bumpkins but preppy rich kids

This. The movie makes it seem like only a couple of days between Bilbo's party and the quest beginning. It's really months and months, there's shit happening all over Middle Earth in this time that the movie skips.

>Tolkien didn't think it important enough to mention.

He also didn't include descriptions of people shitting.

Tolkien didn't want to add garbage to his work because he wasn't a degenerate leftist retard that constitutes the majority of fiction writers. None of the characters are gay and arguably only the Maiar are asexual.

Well Frodo apparently crushed on Arwen, and Sam on Galadriel, so any gayness between them wouldn't be exclusive homosexuality anyway.

Months? They were decades

>Hackson

People who say this obviously don't know the truth behind The Hobbit trilogy.

Jackson probably saved them from being utter failures.

>only the Maiar are asexual.
Doesn't Gandalf have a boner for Galadriel? Or am I confusing movie with book?

In the movie it's only a few months, I believe.

In the books it's 17 years, but that's because Gandalf and Aragorn were out searching for answers/Gollum.

The movie changed this for obvious fucking reasons.

>Doesn't Gandalf have a boner for Galadriel? Or am I confusing movie with book?

No, he doesn't have a boner for Galadriel in the books. Can't remember in the Hobbit movies but those were terrible anyways.

>In the movie it's only a few months, I believe.
Even then, it only looks like a few days.

Gandalf adores Galadriel. She's older, more powerful and basically considered one of the most beautiful 'things' in the world.

Like...do you want a calendar or something?

There isn't a realistic way to show the time lapse. All we know is Gandalf rode to Minas Tirith, found the journals of Isildur, searched for Gollum, couldn't get him before Sauron, then returns to Frodo.

>only the Maiar are asexual.

No evidence for this at all, and in fact the marriage of Melian and Fingolfin suggests otherwise.

>fade to black
>"A year later..."

Seasons changing in the Shire as Gandalf reads his journal aloud.

why?
what would that possibly add to the movie?

It would give you a sense of how much time Gandalf spent fucking around.

You mean Thingol

NEEEERD

They *were* utter failures

That makes it worse.

Those fucking names, holy shit Tolkien.

>implying Feanor didn't want to sit on his father's cock