If you ever thought U2 was a good band, I'm sorry you're wrong

If you ever thought U2 was a good band, I'm sorry you're wrong

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=KJSK1wXmn4g
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

AND I STILLLL HAVEN'T FOUNDDD WHAT I'M LOOKING FORRR

But that´s not an argument.

>implying War, The Unforgettable Fire, The Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby aren't at the very least essentials of post-punk
>implying Zooropa, Boy and the live version of Pop weren't 8/10 at the very least

Have you only heard 21st Century U2?

Imagine having this opinion.

Joshua Tree was their only good album

U2 is the ultimate in Soccer Momcore along with Coldplay and Kings of Leon.

>falling for the u2 was always bad meme
the absolute state of mu in 2017

Did you just pick up your kid from soccer practice?

Name another post punk band that was produced by Eno and were as influential as them.

Nice one. Do you not get tiring of using the same argument over and over? May I ask you why is it Soccer Mom-core, and what the fuck does that mean?

Talking Heads. Also Eno wiped U2 clean of most of their post-punk influence desu

idk I like the song Sunday Bloody Sunday

listen to the album it comes from

how anyone can compare u2 and joy division is beyond me

how anyone can compare music is beyond me

Music for terminally bored housewives who spend their ample free time watching one of those stupid talk shows, virtue signaling online, hanging out with their equally bored and boring friends to chew the fat over the latest Oprah Book Club fad and listening to the most aggressively mediocre music ever. The kind of music that's apparently mindblowing and deep, but is rather banal. It's the kind of music Leslie Mann would probably like.

U2 were at least on that level of cutting edge popular music at the time. Eno pushed their sound toward atmospheric territory, which nobody was doing at the time.

Have you heard U2's early stuff?

God you're embarrassing.

Show me fans of U2 that aren't insufferable housewives with teaching jobs or some other publicly-funded, bureaucratic bullshit.

Thom Yorke

My dad, telecommunications engineer who installed one of the first Internet links in my home country; my uncle, design division manager at Volkswagen; my girlfriend's father, restaurant owner for 25 years now.

rly made me think, thank u for provocative post

No fucking way Thom or anyone else in Radiohead for that matter likes fucking U2

>male fans of U2
I'm surprised to hear this.

Where are you from?

Motherfucker, my brother, my cousin, my dad, my uncle, this friend I know who's a physics major, and me all like U2. And we're all male.

You don't seem to know much about U2 at all to be honest.

Where the fuck are you from?

Seattle

Jonny has said U2's a favorite of his and there are multiple pictures of Thom with an U2 shirt. Also Steve Jobs was a big fan.
Brazil, currently in the US, girlfriend is from Korea, also in the US - Rhode Island to be precise. Anyhow, the reason why you haven't heard of many U2 fans - it's a Gen X band. It's probably one of the first mainstream alternative rock bands, started in the 80's and went to mid-late 90's and managed to be playing post-punk with atmospheric overtones and still being ridiculously popular. Seriously, check out their stuff. It's more than soccer mom-core, it's legitimately good up until the turn of the century.

>have U2 limited edition iPod video
>never heard a U2 song in 25 years on planet earth

>never heard a U2 song in 25 years on planet earth
With or Without You, One, I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For, Beautiful Day, Vertigo?

>Rhode Island
That's where I'm from. FUG XDDDDDDDDD

What brings you to the US of A?

> Beautiful Day
Maybe, but does not really ring a bell.

I'm studying in Brown University. Moved in earlier this year.

I graduated from RIC. Didn't want to sink too much money into education without any longterm plans.

I guess my biggest gripe is Bono's public image which is aggressively shilled for in mainstream media. One of these days, I'll check out their back catalog from the '80s. Until then, I'll stick to Zounds, The Cure, Poison Girls and Siouxsie.

Siouxshie and U2 literally had the same producer in the early 80s

LOOK AT IT!!!

So what? I listen to plenty of bands with no-name producers.

They were the Nickelback of the 80s.

>Steve Lillywhite
no-name producer. He's not Eno level (who U2 worked extensively with of course), but he produced a ton of important 80s post-punk and new wave acts.

In what way?

Nah, they were the late 90's/early-mid 2000's Radiohead of the 80's/early-mid 90's.

What I meant to say was that producers aren't an object of importance to me. I know, heresy! I listen to plenty of bands produced by literally-whos whose music still sounds compelling. This isn't to denigrate production, but to me, it's only so important.

correct

Fuck U2

Does OP actually have a point or does this thread only exist to start a fight?

fuck you too

>Came from the bottom, grew up in war torn Ireland, lost mother at 13 years old
>made some of the most critically acclaimed and best selling albums of the 1980s and 1990s, including Boy, The Joshua Tree, War, Achtung Baby, and The Unforgettable Fire
>worked with Brian Eno on several albums
>Achtung Baby was the first rock album to feature significant influence from electronic dance music and other contemporary experimental music and significantly widened their popularity, exposing listeners to groundbreaking music they would have otherwise never heard before, predating Kid A by 9 years
>was behind the groundbreaking and yet to be topped Zoo TV Tour
>is self aware, his persona during the Zoo TV-era was a satire of himself in response to all the critics who called him pompous during the Rattle and Hum days
>is a patrician who had bands including but not limited to This Heat, Interpol, Kings of Leon, Bjork, Mission of Burma, The Fall, Einsturzende Neubauten, Public Enemy and Pixies open for his band when they were in their prime to give them exposure
>albums still hold up, receive rave reviews upon being re-released, even by Pitchfork
>isn't a nigger
>single handedly made the American and British public view AIDS and HIV as diseases that deserve treatment and sympathy rather than a punishment for being a degenerate, something even Princess Diana failed to do
>single handedly convinced George W. Bush to become the president who gave the most money to AIDS research, not Clinton, not Obama, George W. Bush
>wants to create a high fidelity and consumer friendly music format
>hated by Reddit
>hated by Sup Forums

This man is a god.

BASED

i should check out U2 sometime.

nice

Damn...

You now remember that in 1983, U2's guitarist Dave Evans (aka "The Edge") collaborated with Jah Wobble of Public Image Ltd, Jaki Liebezeit and Holger Czukay of Can, New York disco producer François Kevorkian, and composer Arthur Russell on the "Snake Charmer" LP. The title track would become a regular staple of influential New York City nightclub, the Paradise Garage.

Truly based.

youtube.com/watch?v=KJSK1wXmn4g

He was also a big fan of Mission of Burma, This Heat, and Joy Division in the very late 70s, a champion of pre-Loveless My Bloody Valentine, and interested in German industrial groups like KMFDM, The Young Gods, and Einstürzende Neubauten, and got Sinead O'Connor her first record deal in 1985.