What the FUCK did they mean by this? The absolute state of music journalism in 2017

What the FUCK did they mean by this? The absolute state of music journalism in 2017...

Other urls found in this thread:

twitter.com/theQuietus/status/905505990325530625
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

You could
They're both shit.

You know for the longest time I didn't realize the kid's arms were behind his head, I thought his shoulders were inhumanely fucking giant for some reason

wtf those bands are total opposites

and i know for a fact u2 were never played by john peel

Poptimist revisionism.

15 November 1979: Out of Control ('Three' EP 7") CBS
04 December 1979Out of Control ('Three' EP 7") CBS
05 December 1979 (Virgin In-Store): Out of Control ('Three' EP 7") CBS
22 May 198011 O'Clock Tick Tock (7") Island (JP: "What kind of a DJ am I? Don't answer that question; I should have played that at 11 O'Clock and indeed Walters had intended that I should do. And if I'd played the Killing Joke and that the other way around, it would have been on exactly at 11 O'Clock. As it is, it's what, 9 minutes past 11. It's not the same is it? Be honest.")
20 October 1980: Stories For Boys (album - Boy) Island ILPS 9646
23 October 1980: A Day Without Me (7") Island
28 October 1980: I Will Follow (LP - Boy) Island
04 August 1981: Fire (7") Island WIP 6679
06 October 1981: Gloria (7") Island WIP 6733
24 March 1982: A Celebration (7") Island WIP 6770
24 March 1982: Shadows And Tall Trees (album - Boy) Island ILPS 9646
03 January 1983: New Years Day (7") Island WIP 6848
05 January 1983: New Year's Day (LP - War) Island
09 January 1983 (BFBS): New Year's Day (LP - War) Island
21 December 1983: 'New Year's Day (7")' (Island) 1983 Festive Fifty #41
Hmmm.....

>U2 were always a stadium pop rock band
dipshit

Yeah, it's wrong, the comparable album is War.

Are you guys fucking retarded? Are you seriously denying that early U2 is post-punk just because you don't like them?

the replies on twitter are even more hilarious:
twitter.com/theQuietus/status/905505990325530625

They fell for the "all U2 is bad" meme. Can't blame them for it, between U2's own stuff post-Pop and the public view of them it's not a good view.

ITT: People who have never listened to Boy.

why the hell would i listen to u2 on purpose? i'm not a 40 year old housewife

Most people listen to a band before dismissing them. You know, people who actually enjoy music instead of using it as a fashion statement.

don't critique an album you haven't listened to

it's u2
i've heard enough of their music at random to know how all of it sounds

but that's wrong you fucking retard

jesus christ...

>Falling for the "U2 is bad" meme
Go listen to Boy, War, Acthung Baby, Joshua Tree

No, you haven't. Boy/October/War U2 doesn't sound like Unforgettable Fire/Joshua Tree U2 which doesn't sound like Achtung Baby/Zooropa/Pop U2, which doesn't sound like 21st Century U2.

If anything it's revisionist to pretend what said

congrats on all the (you)s for your low effort shitb8 btw

u2 is the quintessential example of a crypto-patrician band

Early U2 is post-punk. It wouldn't be a particularly good comparison, but they are comparable in that regard

>It wouldn't be a particularly good comparison, but they are comparable in that regard
Not a great comparison, but again post-punk, U2 heavily influenced by JD, worked with JD's producer (and Siouxshie's producer too), were in the studio when JD recording Love Will Tear Us Apart, covered JD songs often, played some gigs with JD's labelmates, etc.

One guy here a while ago put it best - people who like U2 either don't like music, or REALLY like music.

this.

I thought OP was making fun of them for making such an obvious statement, didn't realize idiots in this thread actually thought it was a false comparison

this

Boy is just a popier version of Unknown Pleasures desu

U2 are possibly the biggest pleb filter in music. They're trendy to hate, but music fans know their importance. I used to hate them like all you other self-righteous retards, but then i actually decided to give their discography a fair listen. The Unforgettable Fire has since become one of my favorite albums

It's so weird, they're one of the most famous bands ever but also kinda underrated by a shitload of folks

is unknown pleasures supposed to be good? it has literally just one good track

Sure they're both post-punk, but they're nothing alike. Boy sounds like an Echo & The Bunnymen album, not Unknown Pleasures.

They used to be good, but I can't stand anything past Joshua Tree

Come on man, Achtung Baby is their masterpiece, but everything after that is of varying quality, mostly mediocre.

>but everything after that is of varying quality, mostly mediocre.
Zooropa is quite good. As is their collaborative "soundtracks to non-existant movies' album with Brian Eno. Pop too is "nearly great, but there's something missing". All That You Can't Leave Behind is when they finally went back to basics, but it's a musically and lyrically and creatively a bit of a step backwards (despite Eno and Lanois' involvement). It's musical comfort food, but not too much beyond that. The quality truly becomes mediocre beyond that. Outside of parts of 2009's No Line on the Horizon with Eno where they tried to experiment, their output has all been incredibly bland U2-esque pastiche since then.

I have a funny story about hipster dipshits who poo poo U2.

A few months ago I was listening to my local college radio station and they were playing songs that were 10 years or older and they played an early U2 song.

Now this is the funny part: the DJ had to interrupt the song about halfway through because he got so many calls asking him what fantastic new band this was. He literally came on the air and said this:
>It's U2, you idiots! STOP CALLING. IT'S U2! This album has been out for nearly THIRTY YEARS.

I just though how funny it was, these retards thought it was the second coming or some shit and it was just a shitty ol' U2 song. But such is the sad state of music in 2017.

>>Yeah, you're on point, i was just to lazy to write all that.

If it was New Year's Day it would be even funnier.

fpbp

>implying Unknown Memesures is any better than a 6/10 max

It is, though. It's a solid 7/10.

They're actually pretty similar in many ways. U2 just had a better vocalist and a more uplifting and pop-friendly sound.

Unknown boy pleasures

I think it's about them making good music over them being post-punk or not, which they were, and I'd say they had some okay stuff early on.