Hey Sup Forums I hit the gym and had the most depressing workout...

Hey Sup Forums I hit the gym and had the most depressing workout. Couldn't even deadlift the same weight I did last week. So here's my question.

I usually do Back/Bi's on the same day. After I realized I couldn't hit my 1rm on my deadlift my body just refused to deadlift. I couldn't even do 80% rm. For this reason I just said fuck it and went home. Is there any reason my body just refused to lift the weight? Also would it be worth going back in later today to finish the rest of my workout since my biceps didn't get worked at all besides a few staggered sets.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=xxFpHWEi6UE
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Can't speak for doing bro splits, but can for Full-body.

It could be a lack of nutrition, sleep.

Not to mention, deadlift is all dependent on form. Have the bar too far forward/too close results in loss of power.

I had a session in which I had to pull 225 for a PR. I look back, and realized that my form was complete shit, and the bar was way too close for set-up.

If you miss the same weight rep/set, it's best to dial back 10% and focus on form, nutrition+sleep.

Or if you're confident, just try again the next time. Only if you have enough energy, would I retry another set. This is assuming you're only doing 1x5 for deadlifts.

you need to recognize that you are an organic being, and not a machine. some days you will be better and some days worse. Maybe you slept better/worse. or ate differently. whatever it doesnt matter. If you have a bad day, come back and get it the next day. Don't get pissed or discouraged. its just one day - there are lots of days ahead of you.

Also, testing your 1RM should at best be a once per quarter kind of thing.,

500 pound deadlifter here.

If you wanna be strong don't do a bro split. Do a fully body routine or at least a push / pull routine.

I'd just take the day off.

large amount of strength loss is just the result of fatigue. Wether that is training fatigue/lack of food/sleep

I feel like i've got my form pretty solid. I've done a lot of reaserach into it as well. It might be shitty sleep? I'm not sure. In the past 4 weeks i've gone from 100kg rm to 115kg rm and i've been making solid steady progress on all my other lifts as well. I usually warm up to my rm and then add 5% then drop down to 80% for 2x5.

This is the second time this has happened. I go into the gym, my warm up feels solid, I can easily do 90% but the moment I try to lift and can't get it off the floor, I can't seem to deadlift anymore. I'm not sure if it's a psycological thing or not but I hate that it happens.

let me add:

even cy-young, hall of fame pitchers have bad days where they went out there and got killed. It happens. Shrug it off.

Definitely could be psychological, it's a big proponent in lifting from my experience as well.

Just make sure you're pulling the slack out of the bar first, then leg drive that bitch

Hi there that's an impressive deadlift. At the moment i'm doing a 4 day split.

Back/bis
Chest/tris
legs
shoulders/traps

Now I mostly only focus on deadlift, bench press, squat and overhead. I don't really do much in the way of isolation (besides biceps triceps and rear delts). My whole goal is to be stronger at those 4 core lifts (Basically wanting to get into powerlifting). How does a full body routine work compared to this one? I'm genuinely curious. Any advice would be lovely.

Just get more rest, and eat big, then try again

you generally shouldn't be working out at 90%+ routinely. Back off a bit and do more sets more times per week.

Goal: Max # of HEAVY sets per WEEk, not per day. Per week. like this bro aid Full body, but don't kick your own ass. Be ready to lift heavy again in 47 hours. Heavy 3X week is where ithe magic happens

okay thank you for the advice. Do you think it'd be worth eating some good food now and going back for another attempt in a few hours? I did 5 reps 60%, 3 reps 70%, 1 rep 80% and 90%. Or would I be too fatigued after that?

Full body workouts incorporate more muscle activation, than simple isolations. With more muscles activated, will allow you to move more weight. Not to mention with full body, you're focusing on compounds lifts, where the most amount of strength+explosiveness comes from. Another user btw

>another attempt in a few hours
dude, chill some. you get stronger when you recover, not when you lift. sounds like overtraining to me. Get your macros in and adequately recover.

Oh see I read that the best way to gain strengh is working at 80% of rm. I always try to lift heavy. Maybe i've got this all wrong. I'm not too interetsed in the body building aspect of lifting i'm more focused on getting as strong as I possibly can.

Yeah i'm probably overtraining and skipping on my rest. I heavy lift twice a week with compound movements. Would it be worth adding in a rest day or two between workouts?

As well, it should be noted, when starting a full body program, you'll be starting fairly light to build the neural adaption+hypertrophy included with linear progression.

Find a proper 531 full body program. This will build your strength overall. Some will include isolations if you truly want them, but in totality you'll make the most gains off a Full-body than bro splits.

Yes....most 5X5/531 Programs only have you lifting three times a week, one day rest period between them, and a two day off period, before beginning once again.

Compounds are taxing on the body.

A full body routine has squat, push and pull + accessory's , generally every second day, it takes advantage of the fact that a novice can gain strength between sessions and has you progress faster then a split which is generally once a week weight increases.

Examples of that are Starting strength, Stronglifts and grey-skull

Once you get stronger/that stops working you generally do programs that wave the volume/intensity during the week (still full body) and have once a week increases.

A popular one is the Texas method

When that stops working you start doing training cycles for x weeks.

Okay thank you very much for the advice, i'm going to look into 531 splits and see what that's all about. I do really appreciate the advice thank you very much. I'm new at lifting compared to advanced people. Only 3 months in and i'm only lifting 115kg deadlift, 70kg bench press, 100kg squat and 40kg overhead press. So as you can see i'm not amazingly strong but it is what i'm going for.

full body workout
3x per week
~80% 1RM
2-3 sets maximum
maximum 5 reps per set
NEVER go to failure. See next point as to why
make sure you think about your next workout in 47 hours. Do not compromise the next session for you ego today.
LiveToHeavyLiftAnotherDay

Okay that makes sense. I'll have to look into all of those !!

Thanks man I appreicate the help here. I can see that i'm way over doing it.

as an example.. there are many other programs out there to research. def. hang out on /fit/ some - get past all the douchebags and jokesters there.

Yeah i've made my way over to /fit/ as well. Thought i'd post of Sup Forums for faster responses atm but i've got a thread going on /fit/.

I tried to deadlift the other day for the first time and now my lower back hurts.

OP here.
Yeah I had that issue starting out as well. Just make sure your form is solid. Also remember to use the whole posterier chain when deadlifting, it's not purely a back excersise. The hamstrings, glutes and the hips play a huge part in getting that weight off the floor.

welcome to the /man/ club. glorious, glorious pain oh my brothers

I can't even tell if I did it right or not. does my back hurt because I did it right and it's a good sore or is something broken? it worries me.

Your back will feel like it's done some work. What weight were you lifting? Does it feel like a good pain or a bad pain?

Deadlifts are the most glorious lifts. Until done properly they are painful and awkward. But when done properly, with effortless form, they are a beautifully complex movement made simple.

youtube.com/watch?v=xxFpHWEi6UE

I'd google 5-3-1 beginner workout, and add "bodybuilding forum" they're fairly knowledgeable, and have developed great programs with amazing results.

30lb. I do 50lb in everything else. I kept it low for my first time. i'm a skeleton
it feels bad. but ultimately I don't really know the difference.

yeah I watch a bunch of videos but i'll check that one out

Don't listen to these betas. If you're not spending all your money on roids. You're wasting your time, trust me I'm a Dr.

that video has a bunch of different shaped dudes deadlifting under a word record holder's guidance. everyone does it differently. watch the dude with the blue shorts and the beard - he is effortless. He also has quads the size of my midsection, but hey.