Star Trek: Discovery

I know this has been discussed, but I missed it, so - HOW is this supposed to excite me about new Star Trek when it is probably the worst space visual fx I've ever seen?

youtube.com/watch?v=bqm9HSYbf0o

Other urls found in this thread:

variety.com/2016/tv/news/bryan-fuller-showrunner-star-trek-discovery-cbs-1201901398/
vulture.com/2015/11/felicia-day-mystery-science-theater-3000-revival.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I'm not convinced it will actually happen.

That teaser was fine.

You should be more worried about the complete behind the scenes shit show going on including it getting delayed 6 months, the universally despised distribution method, the lead STILL not cast and the showrunner stepping down.

That looks as if someone made it 15 years ago

>Star Trek: Discovery

>They don't discover anything

Why even bother with Trek anymore?

For a teaser, fine, but it is still so amateur. Literally anyone with an old Pentium 2 could make better than that.

With all the shit going on behind the scenes I'd guess the teaser was just them whipping up anything they could because they needed something to show.

CBS wants to compete on the web, but if their content doesn't offer more adult material, over network TV's overly censored medium than it is pointless.

Star Trek needs to grow up, and actually become something more than entertainment for children.

It seems like CBS saw the numbers and trends with Netflix so they created their own but obliviously omitted literally everything that makes streaming sites successful.

Yes, well that is what it shows which is terrible. It means they don't have much support, and no one is interested. That is sad because Star Trek, if done right, more in the tradition of TNG, with a sprinkle of TOS could be a big deal again.

Star Trek needs to be either put in a coffin and buried or incinerated. It has no reason to exist anymore. This IP has been thoroughly abused and has no meaning or appeal anymore. It's been coasting on previous success for decades now. Time to lay it to rest forever.

I don't want to watch a new Twilight Zone and I don't want more Star Trek. Leave it alone. Come up with something else for fuck's sake.

I want more star trek fuck you

I disagree. I believe it's time to update and rejuvenate it.
There's plenty that could be done with it. If your opinion of what's so superior is better, please feel free to NAME IT, instead implying you know of something better of which you cannot name.

After watching the first two JewJew""""""Star Trek""""""" movies, I'm going to have to agree with this

It's over

variety.com/2016/tv/news/bryan-fuller-showrunner-star-trek-discovery-cbs-1201901398/

Black Mirror is pretty fucking awesome, despite Sup Forums disliking the Netflix season. It's exploring a whole shitton of SF concepts which modern Star Trek doesn't even come close to touching. The Sup Forums-anathema San Junipero Black Mirror ep was about end of life mind uploading. Star Trek Beyond was about smashing starships into a bunch of drones while the Beastie Boys' "Sabotage" was played.

Star Trek has no future because it's a corporate property on both tv and movie fronts and they won't do anything except play it safe. They even go to the trouble of muting fan efforts. It's dead.

Those were movies which are completely different from an episodic format.
Hate the "Jew" I don't give a shit. I want a modernized Star Trek in an episodic formula.

>SF concepts which modern Star Trek doesn't even come close to touching.

Which confirms that it has room to be updated.

This. It already got pushed back and that small trailer is literally all the information they've released about it.

Honestly after Enterprise I couldn't give a fuck about prequel Trek.

>Star Trek has no future because it's a corporate property on both tv and movie fronts
This. The only hope is a show runner that actually wants to make trek being in the driver's seat. You need some kind of a greater vision for trek, not just chasing ratings.

>I want a modernized Star Trek in an episodic formula.
I'll remind you you said this when you've seen STD.

>manditory muslim character who experiences bigotry in a utopian society and teaches the crew lessons through the wisdom of islam

I'd rather shove barbed wire up my ass until it comes out my mouth than watch this

Well, it doesn't look as if it will happen at all now with the showrunner dropping it.
CBS's two company divisions can't seem to agree with what should be done with Star Trek.

I do recall it took YEARS for TNG to become a syndicated TV show since 1985 there were plans to make a cable network exclusive to Star Trek, and it never happened until finally a syndicated placement was confirmed.

Star Trek desperately needs to be re-vitalissed, and the idea of seeing different parts of Star Trek within the ST universe actually seemed interesting. You could have old, TNG cast, and newer cast from Klingon, Romulans, everything intertwined over different time spans similar to the Star Trek Online games, but much bigger..

>le epik alt-right shit posting

I can't believe he actually posted it! On Sup Forums of all places! Mad!

What we know so far:

>series takes place 10 years before TOS
>the main character is the first officer, an African-American woman who will only be identified as "number one" until the season finale when her real name is revealed
>the captain is an older African-American woman
>no cast members have been revealed yet, although the now-fired showrunner said he wanted Rosario Dawson as Number One and Angela Bassett as the Captain
>astronaut Mae Carol Jemison, the first black woman in space, is consulting with the writers about these two characters
>at least one crew member is openly gay to reflect the more progressive future
>at least one crew member is Muslim in an updated version of the Soviet-American tensions represented by Chekov in the 1960s
>only the first episode will air on CBS, the remainder of the series will be exclusive to the online platform CBS All Access, a Netflix-style service that costs $5.99 a month
>the fact that it's not on network television means there will be more explicit language, sex and violence than previous Trek series
>the premiere was originally scheduled for January 2017 but has been delayed to May of 2017

All resources should be directed toward STO.

There is no need for a Star Trek streaming service show. That's what we're talking about, btw, it's not on television anymore and never will be again.

So much of this is complete bullshit. Even more so now that Fuller stepped down because of the delays and problems getting his version of the show going.

no..... they've said they'll have a gay character and a muslim character, the reason you see alt right everywhere is because a lot of the things they go on about become closer to being true as each day passes

>paramount
It should be CBS, Paramount only owns the film rights.

UPN was literally Paramount's attempt at starting a network, though.

>CBS All Access, a Netflix-style service that costs $5.99 a month
It's not completely Netflix-style though, because that $5.99 a month includes adverts in all programs. They offer an Ad-free service for $9.99 a month, although "select programs" still have "commercial interruptions". It has not been revealed if STD will be selected, but seeing as they intend to use it to make the service popular you'd be a fool to think they won't.

Yeah I'm sure they're going to re-write the four episodes they've done so far because of a new showrunner.

Paramount still owns the home media distribution rights on the series

Business idea: team up Netflix and Disney to buy the Star Trek franchise and then let Star Trek be a not-brilliant-but-decent show on Netflix.

That image refers to the past, not the present.

Just how many franchises does Disney own? Aren't they a bit too powerful?

No, it's because you're annoying faggots who don't know how to keep your politics in your pants.

For some reason I was thinking CBS split off from Viacom well before 2006.

>you're annoying faggots who don't know how to keep your politics in your pants.
Why don't you hold the showrunners to the same standard? Why are they allowed to make political decisions about TV shows and we're not allowed to question them?

>waaaaah other people are being annoying why don't I get to be annoying too :(

Lots of things.

I'd rather have Disney make a decent-ish Star Trek series with a strong female captain than watch CBS bumble around with this current shitshow

well, it's happening, regardless of politics so take your hurt feelings elsewhere

But... why? Why do they need a gay and a muslim character? By stating this ahead of time all that does is make me think they're only going to use them for oppression memes, and that's never been the point of Star Trek. Its the better tomorrow, 500 years into the fucking future we're supposed to be beyond petty squabbling of homos/religion/races/etc. Having a character be a minority JUST to be a minority is literally destroying the spirit of Star Trek.

>Fuller forced out
>Akiva "Batman & Robin" "Transformers" "Angels & Demons" "Lost in Space" Goldsman taking over

Why the fuck does this how have to be prequel to TOS? They simply could have done something different or just continued on from where ever VOY left off from? It's gonna be as bad as enterprise was. FFS

But I still want a newer TV Star Trek series. I'm watching the old TNG on BBC America thinking, I'd love a newer version of this to keep up with that works with STO.

>Having a character be a minority JUST to be a minority is literally destroying the spirit of Star Trek.

check out the privilege on this shitlord

star trek has to have diverse characters because star trek is about diversity

i haven't actually watched any episode because it's for nerds XD but everyone knows that

I still have a tiny bit of hope about him, Fringe was good.

>literally expressing hurt feelings about a show featuring lasers and spacemen
>take your hurt feelings elsewhere
I know you thought you had some kind of salient point here, but this is not the case.

well, I mean gay is fine, as cliche as it is to say, it is 2016, but having a religious minority in there sermonizing and sharing heir ancient wisdom etc. etc. is fucking stupid, it's bajor all over again, but at least there was an ounce of subtlety to them

This sounds awful

No one said there wasn't a gay or Muslim in the show.

I was responding to your alt-right crybaby pussy tantrum about it when that makes perfect sense for a show that had a black woman and a Russian character in the 60's.

That's not happening. The showrunner, ran. None of that is happening.

TNG wasn't modern, Star Trek in a modern style doesn't work because "modern style" is edgy grimdark shit. DS9 was levelled with the same complaint but that's still very old fashioned and tame by modern standards.

You aren't thinking through what you're asking, but don't fear, CBS has invested too much time and money into Star Trek to drop it, it will happen and you will see what you thought you wanted.

>Jap character when people were still salty about Pearl Harbor
>Black female crewman who has the first televised interracial kiss with the captain
>Russian character during the height of the Cold War
>Scotsman because animals are just as alive as we are and should have rights the same as people do
>not diversity

>I will never see another captain like picard, my favorite
>we will never have another klingon crewmember, and if so it'll probably be a badass warrior bitch played by a 65 lb model who don't need no man and goes against everything
>we will never have another data, my second favorite main crew character

;_;

C A N C E R
A
N
C
E
R

I think they should let me Mike Stoklasa be in charge of the new Star Trek.

lol yo wats salient meen?

I just said it was a shitty move, you're the one getting triggered

but they absolutely did say that, you keep projecting that I'm upset, I'm just pointing out that's it's godawful tv and I wont be watching.

also stop samefagging, it's embarrassing

>is literally destroying th...

alll sjw feel like society has hurt and rejected them in some form, they blame everything wrong about themselves and their lives on a outward source, YOU, and everything you like or love.
SJW only seek to destroy it all ... they are like the lowest form of villian.

When will Star Trek recognize it's privilege and have an all-trans* cast?

>it's a shitty move
Because it offends your delicate sensibilities, you mean?

no because it's heavy handed and totally out of place

>hurrr u mad

this is getting silly

>Star Trek in a modern style doesn't work because "modern style" is edgy grimdark shit.

Yes, and I'd tired of that. I want stories in which I can see the characters in full frame, well lit, and stories that actually inspire my interest in space (like TNG did) and maybe even explore beyond the current galaxy maps. You know? Expand.

I exhausted by political shit. I want a more scientific look of the world. I don't care if Spock or Data looked, and talked like true nerds, they gave us insight into an analytical view of the world. I miss that. I want more.
It is sorely missed in modern times, to think like a scientist instead of a brat with dead daddy issues such as most every movie or TV show now.

minds me of tim i axed you wat salient meent?

No, because it's blatant pandering by TV execs who don't get what Star Trek is about.

It was bold in the 60s to have a ethnically-diverse main cast. Nowadays, even a laundry soap commercial has a cast that looks like the Rainbow Coalition.

Shoehorning in characters to tick boxes off the Diversity Checklist is lazy bullshit. In the 21st century, it'd be bolder to have an all-white-male bridge crew. Actually, that'd be interesting to write if the enlisted crew was mostly brown and black and gender-mixed -- since it's a prequel to the 1960s TOS, it could be a commentary on American society before second-wave feminism and the Civil Rights movement.

But they won't do that. They'll check those boxes and get their praise from bloggers who will never watch the show.

All fucking shit this projecting

You literally could not make this up

>complaining about diversity
>in star trek

lol

No, if they want to be bold they need to have a crew composed entirely of pedophiles, furries and Scientologists. You know, people the majority of society actually looks down on these days like they did on blacks or Russians 50 years ago.

>Despite being 6 months+ behind schedule, all existing scripts and casting choices are being scrapped and they're starting from scratch due to Bryan "Fill Me" Fuller leaving

Its not the Diversity™ that I'm complaining about, it's the fact that these characters will literally be defined by the fact that they are Gay™ and Muslim™ in order to go as safe and as bottom-of-the-barrel as possible. It goes against the future utopian world that every series has built up to until now. This guy had it correct when he stated a Diversity Checklist, because thats what it is.

kek

Now I want to see a Scientologist Star Trek

>sir, thetan readings from that planet are off the scale!
>could it be? Have we discovered the true Teegeeack?
>Sea Org to the transporter room. Set e-meters to SP!

Guys

You know what would really get this series back on track, raise the profile and ratings and restore the audience's faith?

Captain Felicia Day.

that is nothing new

every other line of chekhov is russia invented this russia did that first blah blah

She's too busy ruining other cherished childhood memories of mine.

please tell me this is a meme

This. Christ, when Patrick Stewart was cast as Picard, some reporter asked why baldness hadn't been cured in the 24th century, and Roddenberry said "in the 24th century, noone will care."

Any number of characters on Star Trek could've been gay -- it never would've come up because NOBODY WOULD CARE. That's Star Trek.

Dr. Bashir could've been Muslim. How would that have affected his job? Why would anyone care?

You can't have a future where none of that shit matters and then shoehorn in characters who are defined by these things nobody cares about anymore and not have it be irritating.

Furry was in Star Trek: The Animated Series.

Pedophile was in Voyager. Pic related.

vulture.com/2015/11/felicia-day-mystery-science-theater-3000-revival.html

Don't look.

Rifftrax is still around, thank God

Yes, it's just a meme. The MST3K of your childhood still exists. The existence of new MST3k does not cause the old MST3K to cease to exist. People are whining over nothing. It is indeed just a meme.

>The mother of your childhood still exists. The fact I dug up her corpse and sodomised it on your front lawn does not cause the mother that tucked you into bed to cease to exist. People are whining over nothing. It is indeed just a meme.

Remember that episode with the lighthearted whimsical moment with Nelix?

Neither do I, Mr. Vulcan.

Also, have you seen Naomi Wildman these days!?

Go ahead. Dig up her corpse and sodomize her. Come on, I'm waiting.

Yeah, that's what I thought. You'll never do it, you're just a coward. All talk, no walk.

That's your own personal autism, user, some of us don't get hung up over reboots like that.

So what is worse:

Fucking a 24 year old Elf, that is still in kindergarten, or fucking a 3 year old Oc/kampan, that is old enough to drink?

Take note of the fact that he was so far from fucking her, he had no idea how reproduction works.

Felicia Day is one of the worst things to come out of LOLOMGBBQ "nerd culture" of the 00's

The fact that they mate by holding hands doesn't mean she doesn't have a fuckhole. She definitely ate and drank, so she at least had a cloaca or something

>not putting in your time
faggot

>it was just innocent love Neelix was a good boy he dindu nuffin

>or fucking a 3 year old
In the second season she was still UNDER two years old.

So it's actually _worse_ than what you thought.

>Take note of the fact that he was so far from fucking her, he had no idea how reproduction works.
He doesn't know how to fuck her, but he certainly taught her how to fuck him.

I mean if they did it, Neelix and her would have had "the talk" a long time ago.

Interspecies pregnancies are a think in Star Trek.

It wasn't physically possible for her to get pregnant so there was no need to tell him earlier. They weren't monks, people in Star Trek had sex for the purpose of pleasure, we know contraception existed, but again, she wasn't fertile so it wasn't necessary.

Why would Neelix be so insanely jealous of Tom if their relationship was just platonic?

He doesn't know how to impregnate her, but she definitely pleasured him. He knew all about the Talaxian equivalent of handjobs and blowjobs, and he made sure that she learned the hard way. Just imagine them both, hot, sweaty, covered in goo, his hair sticking to her skin, his hair caught in her mouth, his hair in between her teeth and his hair on the back of her throat, his dirty stinky sticky unwashed hair everywhere.

She was less than one year old, he took advantage of her, and there are still people in this world who try to defend him.

You seem to have put a lot of thought into their relationship.

Nah, I've just put a lot of thought into his hair.

Remember the time Bashir tried to fug one of his patients that had a mental age of less than a day?

Someone would have called him on it if he wasn't a Muzzie.

tfw this thread inspired me to rewatch all of TNG

just put on Encounter at Farpoint, wish me luck bros, there's a lot of trash in seasons 1/2

It's actually a tricky question. How would a one world democratic government work on a planet like Earth in the 22nd Century where Islam's going to be the dominant religion?

I don't think Roddenberry ever accounted for this.

>there's a lot of trash in seasons 1/2
Don't mention that in these threads or the contrarians will yell at you.

Don't be such a pissy little faggot, there're plenty of good episodes in those seasons.