The Lord of the Rings

Let's settle this. Which cut is superior for each movie?

I tend to think theatrical is better for Fellowship because it feels tighter and better paced, and this is especially important for new watchers as it gets them invested into the story faster by skipping some slow bits. That said however, once people are already invested by the end of Fellowship, the extended editions are better for the other two movies. It gives us better story and character development and more complete explanations for certain things.

>Tldr:
>FotR: Theatrical
>TTT: Extended
>RotK: Extended

Sup Forums's thoughts?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=EmTz7EAYLrs
youtube.com/watch?v=TAy-o5rgoCw
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Fellowship: kinémàtography
TT: film
Return: movie

>not thinking EE Fellowship is the best

get the fuck out of here

Fellowship of the ring, because "hurr durr epic millon copy+paste" battles arent that entertaining for me, i'd rather watch 9 guys go on an adventure

Well, I personally watch EE for all 3 when I do. But think of it from a general audience perspective, not from someone who's familiar with the movies, likes them and just wants more LotR. Theatrical FotR might be superior.

Not OPs question.

Stop pretending Ride of the Rohirrim isn't possibly the single best moment in the entire Trilogy.

youtube.com/watch?v=EmTz7EAYLrs

no it's not, it's just a le epich speech that isn't even that great, then just a ride of copy+pasted horses, the only thing that makes it look greater than it actually is is the music. Also deus ex machina

Are you always dead inside and completely void of emotion? How boring.

Wrong, it's:

>FotR: Extended
>TTT: Theatrical
>RotK: Theatrical

Extended fellowship has some really great scenes and is justified in it's increased length as it's the first act and can sacrifice timeliness for the sake of world and character building.

Extended Towers and Return adds a lot of schlocky or otherwise redundant scenes which ruin the flow and feel of the films in my opinion.

No, just huge gigantic amount of copy pasted units don't work on me, I don't care that one of the horse guys died from an archer while riding, because I've never seen that guy before I dont know who he is and I have no emotions towards him

Battle of Stirling from Braveheart for example - it's not as big and the armies aren't ridiculously huge but you're more emotional towards the people who are battling because you know them more

Can we just all agree rotk was the worst, it was Just battle after battle with absolutely no tension, had weak cgi, and dumb shlock like and gimli quips during battle scenes. It was just a bigger and worse version of two towers

It's a combination of a lot of things that make that scene epic, not just the music. It's the context, everything was going to shit and when the Rohirrim horn sounds, finally some hope. The music, which was masterful in stirring appropriate emotions. The payoff, finally the orcs got a good ass woopin' and it marked the first major turn-around in the battle for Minas Tirith. The directing, acting, editing, cinematography and effects were also top notch (The effects at the time at least but they still hold up fine). Don't diminish any of these things just because you think it's cool.

But I knew it was going to be a deus ex machina because they said they're going to help minas tirith and showed their big army of horses going to minas tirith so it's no surprise

it would have been much better if everyone though they werent gonna help and then out of nowhere they show up with an army

The only redundancy I ever felt was the multiple endings in RotK extended. But even those are justified when you consider the fact they have to kind of take the appropriate time to tie everything up for a 12h trilogy.

Considering the battle in RotK was inspired by the Battle of Vienna in 1683, there are some real events that ground those scenes too. I also find your complaint rather naive and it comes off as just an effects hater. It was very appropriate for the part of the story they were trying to portray and they can't realistically cast that many extras. There were still hundreds of actual people acting those scenes out if you watch the BTSs.

>it would have been much better if everyone though they werent gonna help and then out of nowhere they show up with an army
Thats a fucking Deus Ex Machina you retard and that would be horrible.

I agree that story wise it was probably the weakest, but RotK is definitely the most entertaining from an action set-pieces perspective. It has it's own qualities as each of them do.

It also didn't have weak CGI when it just came out. You're just comparing it to today's standards which is unfair. Back then it was one of the best looking movies. The only effects that looked kinda weird was the Legolas elephant scene.

So you're the type of dude that thinks everything needs to be a twist to be good?

It doesn't matter that it wasn't a surprise, it wasn't meant to be. It's about the timing and how the scene was played out that makes it so effective. Not everything needs to be a twist, as a matter of fact it can easily come off as cliche is they tried to make it one. Twists very often treat their audiences like they're idiots, as if you couldn't have figured out "something will save the day". I'm glad they didn't try to do that and focused on other, less superficial, things to give the scene value.

As it has constantly been said before:

Theatrical for first time viewings

Extended for all the rest

Extended for all of them.

All three Lord of the Rings movies are the only Peter Jackson films that have any right being more than two hours long. Most egregious being The Hobbit, which is about eight hours long.

TTT doesn't feel right without this scene

youtube.com/watch?v=TAy-o5rgoCw

A lot of people are saying that but I don't even think theatrical is necessary beyond the first movie, even for first viewings. You're already invested enough after fellowship to want to know as much as possible and sit through the extra time of the other two.

Can't go wrong with more Boromir. Boromir anthology movie when?

This is the only correct answer

Galadriel saga WHEN?

>deus ex machina
I don't think that means what you think it means.

>general audience perspective
>not from someone who's familiar with the movies
you seem unaware of just how popular this series is

Why did Sauron wear the ring OUTSIDE his armour?

Was he retarded and didn't know how to get dressed?

If you can't show off your bling to your enemies, then what is the point of conquering the world?

Thats not what I said. I know it's popular but it's not watched religiously by everyone. The dedicated will want the extra scenes but do they make for a better movie for a normal watcher that just likes them and probably saw them once 10 years ago?

Where else would be wear the ring? On his dick? Or maybe up his ass?

In all seriousness though, it's part of the lore of LotR. The rings were forged and need to be worn like you would usually wear a ring for their power to take effect.

Maybe he could wear it UNDERNEATH his armour? He could still have it on his finger, just have the glove on top of it.
If Sauron cared about appearance when conquering the world he wouldn't have used an army of fuck-ugly troll people to do it.

FOTR: either or
TTT: extended for boromir backstory/faramir backstory
RotK: definitely theatrical, extended goes on far too long

SHARE THE RUNTIME

Multiple endings were in Theatrical cut.

Ring finger got cut off along with the armor, it wouldn't have mattered. From a movie perspective they needed to have it visible for the scene to make sense and have the same theatrical impact.

People need to understand movies =\= real life. Concessions need to be made for theatrical reasons some times. If things were depicted exactly like they are in real life, some things would be extremely boring, uninteresting to watch.

Not as much as extended.

Yes. Also they were direct quotes from you

That's a good point, well played user. Let's leave it at that.

NEXT QUESTION: Why did Elrond not just push Isildur into Mount Doom at the very beginning? Did Elrond not know what the Ring was? And if he did, then surely he would face the consequences of murdering Isildur if it meant that the Ring was destroyed?

Hated extended Return

That fucking spooky ghost scene with Aragorn, Legolas, and Gimli was like straight out of Scooby-Doo.

Mouth of Sauron also felt hella unnecessary.