Where does the word for knife in your language come from?

In languages like Basque the word for knife comes from the Basque word for rock, suggesting that the proto-Basque people themselves were Neolithic.

The Albanian "thikë" (knife), comes from Illyrian sica(meaning dagger).

Fun fact:
Illyrian Sica is where the word sicarius( latin for assassin) comes from.

Other urls found in this thread:

dle.rae.es/srv/search?m=30&w=cañivete
etymonline.com/index.php?term=mechanic&allowed_in_frame=0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Cuchillo (coitelo in galician) comes from latin cultellus (literally small knife). Culter is related to sculture btw.

Couteau : From Old French coutel, from Latin cultellus, diminutive of culter (‘knife, blade of a plough’)

We say ''faca'', but we don't know for sure where the word came from. Possibly from latin facus, meaning ''cold-blooded murder''.

It actually comes from Latin Falx, meaning sickle.

This is a faca in Spain. But we also call it navaja, from latin novacula (razor).

Google tells me some Portuguese etymologist says it's unclear

"Couteau" comes from the latin word culter, which means the sharp part of a plough. Because for sacrifices you used a knife to kill the animal, this latin root has also given the name "cult" to our modern day languages.
Btw we also use "canif", (an old Frankish word) to say "pocket knife". And it used to be written knif.

I see

We colloquially call a knife a ''navalha''

We call a pocket knife a ''canivete'', certainly from that old frankish word.
Funny how etymology works

We call the razor "Brisk"

dle.rae.es/srv/search?m=30&w=cañivete

In spainish it is a small knife. I didn't know this word and according to RAE it's barely used.

Don't you say ''cañivete suizo'' when referring to a Swiss army knife? We say ''canivete suiço''

navaja suiza

we use 'kutsilyo' for knife

What about kampit?

'Messer' comes from the westgermanian word 'matizsahsa' which also originates from the word rock (indogermanian sax, latin saxum, italian sasso).

kampit refers to a more specific type of knife now, kutsilyo is more widely used for the general sense.

kniv
comes from the germanic root word /knife/cnife/knif/ i would guess

if you don't speak a germanic language you are literal trash

>kutsilyo

Μαχαίρι
from Μαχαίριον
diminutive of Μάχαιρα (Μαχαίρα is still used)

I can't find further etymology

>Μάχαιρα
It means dagger in A.Greek, just like sica means dagger in Illyrian huh

Yeah it still means that, a big-ass knife. But I IIRC it has something to do with cooking (Μάγειρας means (a) cook). Not sure though. Might as well be related to Μάχη (fight).

"Nož" comes from Proto-Slavic "nožь" which itself comes from PIE *h1noǵʰios

h1noǵʰios > noǵʰios > noǵios > noɟios > nodźios > noźios > nozios > nozjos > nozjus > nɑzjus > nɑzjis > nɑzji > nɑźźi >nɑž́i > nɑž́ь > nož́ь > nož́ > nož > noš

Or even Μηχανή (device)
etymonline.com/index.php?term=mechanic&allowed_in_frame=0
the Indoeuropean root is *magh- which means "to have power"

We call it 'karl'. don't know it's related to any other language.

>one picture can explain everything
that is the power of pictogram

It's "pisau" here.
(Pee-sah-ou)

fucking albanians at it again with the backstabbing and infesting other cultures. disgusting

Albanians, in love with knives since '90s

The word veitsi comes from the word wängce that's a word for knife in Finno-Ugric protolanguage

interesting

We also call that faça