Musical Cues

What are some of your favourite musical cues in film? Moments that coincide with the imagery onscreen so perfectly that you get goosebumps just thinking about them?

I'm talking about moments such as 2001's iconic titlecard, the coyote moment in Collateral, the docking sequence in Interstellar, the last scene in Whiplash, and anything in between. Do you have any obscure favourites?

I just got finished watching End of Watch, and although I really liked the chemistry between the characters I felt like the musical cues were pretty weak and didn't mesh well with the movie.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=EC58867mfiA
youtube.com/watch?v=cR4ffbrVtG8
youtube.com/watch?v=7WPMoVtHSOs
youtube.com/watch?v=QbmDpEhAp48
youtube.com/watch?v=R7m5Int1hAA
youtube.com/watch?v=yLyaCgbEGIo
youtube.com/watch?v=RScZrvTebeA
youtube.com/watch?v=i97FZQn68zc
youtube.com/watch?v=Vic6bO14CZg
youtube.com/watch?v=yrODlC03X0Y
youtube.com/watch?v=oX69NSZ6Vik
youtube.com/watch?v=0WtDmbr9xyY
youtube.com/watch?v=cebEnPhSeU4
youtube.com/watch?v=RWgUGLA_pzk
youtube.com/watch?v=sUdGuCaD4XQ
youtube.com/watch?v=vXtFRl1nSs4
youtube.com/watch?v=yw-juxQ5Sj4
youtube.com/watch?v=9RynVyFzcis
youtube.com/watch?v=RKtd7Lzwtqs
youtube.com/watch?v=IlE5_NadMdQ
youtu.be/C6_kBg3_g10?t=1h55m45s
youtube.com/watch?v=g6tR78d0cmA
youtube.com/watch?v=po-nrlSK9VQ
youtube.com/watch?v=eCtJBmh79ZE
youtu.be/C6_kBg3_g10?t=1h55m43s
youtube.com/watch?v=c3Dz6FOE_Gk
youtube.com/watch?v=u_lzQ475J1A
youtu.be/hXeBxtyF-5U
youtube.com/watch?v=VN3-uOjK4TY
youtube.com/watch?v=Pw4ApKfYNz4
vimeo.com/107246851
youtube.com/watch?v=qwb3P0fuM1c
youtube.com/watch?v=81HUn352hZ4
youtube.com/watch?v=V41fLweroZc
youtube.com/watch?v=Z3kBWP231hI
youtu.be/BCCp3z7Zz4g
youtube.com/watch?v=-coYU-INP3E
youtube.com/watch?v=-Hxy6LksfGI
youtube.com/watch?v=1gpXMGit4P8
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Sunshine.

It has several moments like that where the music literally jerks you off while you watch the images on the screen.

I don't know how I forgot about Sunshine, easily one of my favourite sci-fi films. It's a shame that so many different pieces of media have used Adagio in D Minor because it saps some of the enjoyment out of its original use; I remember there was a period of a couple years where a lot of films, tv shows and games were using it and it was ridiculously distracting.

I couldn't find it online but I really like the ending scene of Prisoners for its use of music. It's only subtle but the Codex by Radiohead is playing over a radio while the CSI guys are working. I always found it really effective at matching the rest of the film's atmosphere.

youtube.com/watch?v=EC58867mfiA

"The Way I Feel Inside" during The Life Aquatic

lighting of the beacons. lotr
club shootout. john wick
hallway fight. old boy

youtube.com/watch?v=cR4ffbrVtG8

I feel like there's a tragic lack of good club-based action scenes in film - they tend to either finish really quickly or the music gets cut completely (see The Raid 2 - I would've loved to see some fight choreography matched up to in-universe music in a similar way to John Wick).

I'm mentioning it again but now that I think of it Collateral had a pretty good club shootout, too.

youtube.com/watch?v=7WPMoVtHSOs

The way the camera pans above the train station to show the blossoming town in all it's glory with the music swelling up is absolutely perfect.

That oner at the beginning was great, totally agree on the music, I've not seen the movie so I don't know the context of the scene but the score totally feels like the beginning of an adventure.

Hausu

It helps that the music was composed before the scene was shot. Also they were playing the music while shooting the scene.

Also go fucking watch it. Top 5 movies all time easily.

I'm going to have to check that out, I've not really seen many Westerns (outside of the Dollars trilogy, but I think pretty much everyone has seen those) so it's always good to get recommendations. Knowing that it's directed by Leone has me excited already.

As for , again I've not seen the original but you've reminded me of Django Unchained, specifically the shootout at Candyland youtube.com/watch?v=QbmDpEhAp48 . The way that the music comes so far out of the left field, both in the way that it starts suddenly and the genre of the music itself, had me giddy. Thinking about it, every film I can think of in Tarantino's filmography has a great musical cue at some point.

Damn this was good when it first came out.

Collateral was a masterpiece in that sense. One of my favorite movies.

There need to be more pirate movies.

I'm really on the fence about blasting through all the films, I only ever saw 1 and 3. Do they still hold up nowadays?

It's not really a specific piece of music but the Mumakil riders horn is fucking great
youtube.com/watch?v=yLyaCgbEGIo

youtube.com/watch?v=RScZrvTebeA

They're all fun as fuck. Also what the fuck does "still hold up today" even mean? Why do people somehow just "assume" the movies nowadays are "better"?

If you're worrying about the CGI, don't. Just look up Davy Jones in the Pirates Of The Caribbean movie for some incredibly effective CGI.

youtube.com/watch?v=i97FZQn68zc

youtube.com/watch?v=Vic6bO14CZg

Back to the future is filled with excellent musical cues.

I'm disappointed in myself for not listing that in the OP, Blade Runner has some of the most beautiful and atmospheric music in film.

Let me offer something in a similar vein
youtube.com/watch?v=yrODlC03X0Y

youtube.com/watch?v=oX69NSZ6Vik

Definitely the standout moment of the first film if you ask me, mostly down the soundtrack.

Psycho aswell ofcourse.

youtube.com/watch?v=0WtDmbr9xyY

Yeah I should've worded that better. I was about 9 when the first movie came out so what I should have said is are they as enjoyable now as an adult as they were when you were younger?

As for the CGI it still shocks me how fantastic Davy Jones looks, what kind of supernatural pact did they take to pull that off in 2003!?

I'll probably always enjoy the shit out of the pirate movies. The cahracter Jack Sparrow is just so much fun to watch. Already looking forward to the new one in 2017.

I still find that Fox logo from Alien 3 to be one of the most creative intros to a horror movie that I've ever seen, the way they manage to create tension from something so familiar by simply prolonging a musical note is astounding. Simply fantastic audio design.

Are there any other similar things like that? The only one I can think of is the Columbia Pictures logo being changed on The Grudge 2 and Ralph Wiggum singing the 20th Century Fox theme in The Simpsons Movie.

Huh, that's strange. I tried to upload an image of the Grudge logo, found a gif of it anyway.

Love this one

>Michael while in Sicilia (Godfather)
youtube.com/watch?v=cebEnPhSeU4
>Sunshine as earlier mentioned
>Jean de Florette (harmonica) exposition scene
youtube.com/watch?v=RWgUGLA_pzk
>Norwegian sunset (Pinchcliffe Grand Prix)
youtube.com/watch?v=sUdGuCaD4XQ (ignore the danish)
>Frozen Palace (Dr Zhivago)
youtube.com/watch?v=vXtFRl1nSs4
>Fargo exposition
youtube.com/watch?v=yw-juxQ5Sj4
plebby guilty pleasure bonus:

How to Train Your Dragon was way better than it had any right to be, how was the sequel? I heard good things.

once upon a tiiiiiiiiIiiiiiiiiiiime.....

I wasn't aware that a new one was in the pipeline, I wonder how that'll turn out, he's looking a little worse for wear these days.

that's the gay tank driver from Allo Allo

The way the music was used in the beginning of Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind was perfect

youtube.com/watch?v=9RynVyFzcis

kino
i
n
o

I love how Superman's response to watching the news is to call his mother.

Mainly because it proof he's just a guy trying to do what's right, but is unsure it's the right thing to do.

audioslave pls come back

youtube.com/watch?v=RKtd7Lzwtqs

>high pitched ringing
One of the best and worst

scared

1 holds up, two is still rubbish, 3 is rubbish 4 is fucking rubbish.

Alright I rarely get a chance to ask because I'm never around for relevant threads, but having never watched any of the Ring movies in their entirety, where do I start? Do I stick to the original Japanese series or are the American remakes also worth seeing?

How about the Grudge movies?

Should I not bother with either and just jump straight into Sadako vs Kayako seeing as that's probably the purest way to absorb both stories?

Life is short, one day it's over

but not yet, not yet

looks like she died gagging on cock...

youtube.com/watch?v=IlE5_NadMdQ

prepare for kino

Holy shit you're right. I haven't seen alien 3 in a while and don't remember that. It's fucking creepy when you're not expecting it.

I haven't seen the original japanese ones. I've heard they're good off hand but I don't know for sure. The american version is really good. It's genuinely frightening and does a great job keeping you on the edge of your seat trying to figure out what this ghost wants from you. And imo, has some of the creepiest imagery in any movie ever.

I'd suggest just watching the first american one. Don't watch the ring 2 it's like 90's campy horror, really fucking bad compared to the first and Rings also looks pretty bad too.

nah man, that scene gave me kinetosis. very good music though

The truest of kino be praised

I get goosebumps every time.
youtu.be/C6_kBg3_g10?t=1h55m45s

This movie has a lot of great music cues.

youtube.com/watch?v=po-nrlSK9VQ
youtube.com/watch?v=eCtJBmh79ZE

Awesome, I'm gonna check out the American one then first, thanks for the heads up about 2 also. I can see where you're coming from about Rings but honestly the trailer intrigued me, especially the shot in the plane where several screens are playing the Ring transmission at once, maybe it's because I'm not aware of the mythos but I think that it'll be interesting to see multiple people being affected by the ghost at once, usually in these types of films you only ever see a single person being hunted. Then again, it looks like the plane is instantly going to crash after the passengers see the video so maybe it'll just be shlock for the sake of spectacle.

Better time code is:
youtu.be/C6_kBg3_g10?t=1h55m43s
>that flawless timing

The idea of Rings isn't that bad per se but it just comes off as a little late to the party in that we've seen the "x thing infects technology and kills/does evil shit through our computers and omg we're so plugged in all the time XDXD!" And it seems to have lost what made the original so good. Rings strikes me as a desperate attempt to use a recognizable name to make some easy bucks rather than a real intelligent continuation of the story.

Then again, I haven't seen it so I honestly can't say for sure, but the trailer left me very displeased and as I said the premiss seems out of touch.

Yeah I can see that, it does seem a bit late both in the themes you're talking about and the fact that there hasn't been a Ring film in ages, it seems a bit irrelevant now. If they really wanted some of that hot ghost cash then they should have been waiting to dive into the Paranormal Activity hype, probably would've drawn in the "highbrow" crowd that saw themselves as above the Paranormal Activity franchise. It's just a bit of a weird idea, isn't it? Maybe they'll do a sequel to Pulse if hollywood are trying to reboot old Japanese technology-based horrors

Euphoric movie
youtube.com/watch?v=c3Dz6FOE_Gk

For some reason I really love this scene

youtube.com/watch?v=u_lzQ475J1A

youtu.be/hXeBxtyF-5U

MoS
BvS
Eraserhead
Suspiria
AoJJbtCRF
All have at least one of these moments

As a side note, I thought the end credit song of The Yellow Sea had this effect amazingly too, the ending song was basically punctuation and felt like it tied the movie together in a bow.

A SWORD DAY
A RED DAY
ERE THE SUN RISES

BWAMMMMMM BWAMMMMMM BWAAAAMMMMMMMM
BWAA BWANANANA NA NAAAAAAAAAA NAAAAAAAA NAAAAAA
youtube.com/watch?v=VN3-uOjK4TY

Remember seeing the trailer for this scene and being amazed. Then saw this same scene again in theaters and being awestruck.

I don't like musical cues.

One of the only scenes in this shit show that was genuinely good.

Why not?

>youtube.com/watch?v=Pw4ApKfYNz4

vimeo.com/107246851
one of my favorite movies from the last years and an incredible soundtrack

WELL I LIVED WITH
A CHILD OF SNOW
WHEN I WAS A SOLDIER
AND I FOUGHT EVERY MAN FOR HER
UNTIL THE NIGHTS WERE COLDER

Without a doubt, Sergio Leon's The Trio from The Good, the Bad and the Ugly. Completely carried the scene, wish more action movies would let music interact like this:

Ennio Morricone****

youtube.com/watch?v=qwb3P0fuM1c

oh and Eyes wide shut for "that" scene, not sure if that'd count though

if you're looking for more westerns to watch, then the original django is definitely one to add to the list

and as for the scene in the screencap, it's one of my favorite uses of music in a film. but full disclosure i'm a huge sucker for vocal themes, especially the big sweeping kind in those spaghetti westerns. it makes the movie and character (both generally and in that scene specifically) feel sort of mythical, yknow?

watch only first american remake. all the rest, even japanese original are shit.

Surprised these haven't been posted yet.
base Arnold in base Conan the Barbarian.

youtube.com/watch?v=81HUn352hZ4

youtube.com/watch?v=V41fLweroZc

youtube.com/watch?v=Z3kBWP231hI

youtu.be/BCCp3z7Zz4g

The Deployment scene from Black Hawk Down.
Shit on this movie all you want but this sequence after the Hendrix song is why Ridley and Zimmer should always work together.

youtube.com/watch?v=-coYU-INP3E

This whole scene.
The film itself is a very hit and miss movie, it has some great moments, but mostly meh.

Leone sure knows how to use music that in lesser hands would be really tacky and out of place. He dedicates 2 min scenes to let the music play out, I miss the days when directors let the music take a frontseat, you dont see that alot anymore.

Lucas still does that.

youtube.com/watch?v=-Hxy6LksfGI

The audio quality is shit in this video though.

that was a pretty shit example.
This is a much better example and doesnt drag on.
youtube.com/watch?v=1gpXMGit4P8

Definetely not.

This shows Anakin and Padme dying in the same shot followed by the birth of the Empire after the wipe.
Much more powerful.

ANH's shot is "we'll ,like, have the audience project onto this kid who, uh, wants to like, be independent and stuff".

Also the the PT is better than the OT.

>Also the the PT is better than the OT.
jesus christ lol

both are pretty bad though

*Definitely.
I'm tired.

Will you embryos ever leave?
Your precious Richard Brody agrees with me btw.

>I'll try baiting, that's a good trick!

If you think PT is better than OT you simply just have bad taste. It's as simple as that.

Pic unrelated, what the serious fuck google?

>run

Praying for you to have a thought of your own one day.

heres a (You)

>those M727s with aimpoints

>"aah WOOO" starts playing

I honestly didn't expect someone to know what scene I was talking about. Muh nigger

Fuck I love this movie, ima go watch it again right now

That is like arguing that the Hobbit triology is better than The Lord of The Rings triology