THE MOUSY GIRL SCREAMS “VIOLENCE VIOLENCE!”

THE MOUSY GIRL SCREAMS “VIOLENCE VIOLENCE!”

>fires band members

i miss when this was Sup Forumscore

GIRL KISSING GIRL
SHE MUST BE AN ARTIST

>Kevin still hasn't topped it

I wonder if it has to do with all the post Hissing Fauna material being so bad (minus Paralytic Stalks) or if it's just Sup Forums not being as into indie stuff as it used to be

how could you?

>Lousy With Sylvianbriar
>bad

oops forgot about that, Obsidian Currents is ace, and so is a lot of the rest of that album. Still, not really an album I think Sup Forums as a whole would be that interested in

Yeah, what was the deal with that? Did he ever give an explanation?

Artists go in and out of vogue at the drop of a P4k score at this fucking place.

i still like this album a lot but i just listened to it for the first time in years about a month ago and i didn't remember it sounding so... flat

You also forgot about False Priest and Skeleton Lamping.

some remain constant though. I feel like there's a sort of narrative problem here, like Hissing Fauna just didn't lead anywhere, it was a dead end so to speak, even if the album was great

SHE GETS HYSTERICAL!

I actually didn't, but you know, different strokes

Eh I picked it up on vinyl when that re-issue came out, and I still love it. I don't think it sounds "flat" at all. It's mixed and engineered better than a lot of mainstream releases.

Skeletal Lamping is crazy inconsistent and is like the musical equivalent of ADHD, but I revisit it all the time. "An Eluardian Instance" and "Women's Studies Victims" are goddamn amazing songs.

what's your guys pick for best pre-Hissing Fauna Of Montreal?

Im a Cherry Peel guy

I think it is probably just an issue of certain artists' legacies being "ruined" by a dwindling interest from critics. If it's a case like ITAOTS or Loveless where a band broke up like right afterwards, then it becomes this classic. But if a band ruins their reputation then people find that record less magical.

I mean, that's not how it works for me, but I've personally experienced that dysphoria where you love an album by an artist, but you don't love the rest of that artist's output. It's really depressing. Nothing by Joanna Newsom comes close to Ys, and even though I like Divers quite a bit there's something about loving Ys so damn much in comparison to the rest of her output that saddens me. Like, "I wish Joanna could make music as good as Ys again" is what goes through my head.

Impossible to pick really, theyre all great albums that do wildly different things. I personally wish they would have done another really weird album in the concept of Coquelicot Asleep.

What about Have One On Me?

The Gay Parade. It's not a perfect record, and I've grown less fond of it as I've gotten older, but it's such a strong album conceptually and I can really visualise what Kevin was doing there.

thats bc kevin is clearly a bottom

thats what I mean kind of, like Sup Forums generally follows critical culture, and that whole indie's boom of the mid 2000s is being swept under the rug, and I think we just decided that Hissing Fauna didn't make the cut to survive. Maybe because they tarnished their own legacy in so many peoples minds by continuing to make music

The last thing kevin would be is a bottom.

he's generating the power though

I think it's an okay record, but there are just so few moments that do anything for me. Like, I've seen a lot of people complain about the song lengths on Ys, but those songs are swimming with emotion and go through so many melody and chord progression changes that they essentially encompass a bunch of tiny "movements". Those songs on Have One On Me feel so tedious and uneventful by comparison. The melodies are muted, the vocals are less vibrant, and in general I feel like the songs don't have interesting arcs.

There are still good songs on it though.

I think Kevin did a lot of things to tarnish that legacy. Still don't quite know the full story of him getting rid of his old touring band, but I've talked to quite a few people who have never forgiven him for that.

this shits so dumb lol