Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=QjTrnKAcYjE
youtube.com/watch?v=LOjsBUNZtOk
youtube.com/watch?v=IzEaFeIwbuk
youtube.com/watch?v=9Gq9N-sPdYg
twitter.com/AnonBabble

You can play a keyboard right?

record whisper quiet bandcamp folk albums

I think the only things you can't play are horns.

sort of. I used to play piano as a kid but couldn't keep it up

I'm blasting death grips at 11:30

Full volume

And nobody is around to say shit

And I ain't using my privacy for anything worthwhile

Jealous?
*he said with a hint of irony in the post*

(*cheeto crumbs that fell off my fingers when writing this post*)

make ambient pop/ambient house

youtube.com/watch?v=QjTrnKAcYjE

this song was probably made without a single person in the same room even hearing it getting made

if the walls are that thin then youre fucked. cant imagine playing for an audience starting out

>Get some MIDI controllers
>plug them into your computer
>if you play guitar, get an audio interface with an instrument input
>get some software effects for said guitar
>plug directly into computer
>only play with headphones on
>viola, problem solved

Make music in DAWs. Get a rehearsal space for instruments you actually want to play and record them in there. There's a rehearsal room sharing programme in prague, maybe it's in your country as well.
That's what I do.

>spend 200$+
>problem solved

user, I am having this same exact problem, i hope you dont mind me coasting off this thread along side you. we'll get through this together...

See

god i hate living in mega city one

>not having $200

i've been hooked on shit like this for the past few months. any recs? i'm listening to more of yaeji's stuff and she's pretty good.

>wants to make music
>unwilling to spend a measly $200

its a waste when you have the equipment and could use it if the space was available. kids/the poor should be able to access music as a hobby

youtube.com/watch?v=LOjsBUNZtOk

youtube.com/watch?v=IzEaFeIwbuk

1.) All that shit is going to cost a lot more than $200
2.) If you won't even spend $200 making an album, it'll probably be a shitty album to begin with. Can't record a good record on an iPhone, user.

apps&headphones.
look toward the future, you know it to be true

why do yall think recording is the main thing about being a musician when most with a career play sessions or live shows?

plug into thine computador, use le headphones

cant do that with most amps smartass

>want to make music
>did an intensive degree I can't bail out of because almost finished
>have to commit to finding work to secure the repayment, rather than just have a "break" (won't hire if you have too big of a gap)

Be smart and either get a less intensive apprenticeship or just a wage job or just a job as a musician. Don't do a double major like me in two of the toughest industries.

Solution: Don't use amps.

youtube.com/watch?v=9Gq9N-sPdYg

You wouldn't use an amp in a tiny apartment with thin walls anyway.
>have to put your amp in a closet with a mic and close the door to prevent plucking sounds from being heard
>have to play loudly or risk sounding like total shit
>have to deal with pedals becoming a real bitch and taking up space
OR
>plug it into an interface
>done

>kids/the poor should be able to access music as a hobby
You can afford to produce records in your own home. Just owning an instrument in the 70's was a dream for many non-professional musicians. Everyone should be grateful for it.

as i said all that tech is ridiculously pricey and might not be so simple to set up

seewhen it cant be played an instruments pretty sad to look at all the time. anybody can use garage band or the fl studio demo but dont act like thats very robust software

>no drums
>no bass

>DRUMS ~ around 400 AUD beginner, preferably more though up to 700 AUD
Drums are the most expensive because I found they have to sound good in order to make a proper recording. Munted skins are also an issue. Need Bass drum, snare hi-hat and a crash (perhaps a ride-crash hybrid) at least, also between 1-3 toms may be needed. You MUST learn how to tune these. I fuck it up every time.
>BASS ~ 60 AUD if you buy a cheap one
Bass is not so much an issue, can use synthesizers and other plugins that do reasonably well. But normal bass is required for "human" sounding riffs, not computer generated... especially with regards to string sounds.
>MICS, MIDI, STANDS ~ 300-500 AUD
Also you need minimum 2 mics for drums, preferable 4 though if you can. That also means 2 cords and a midi for it. Also with stands. You also need at least one good voice mic, I use mine to record other instruments too though. Need a pop filter to get rid of 'plosives' and the 'sibilants' sound (forget the name). Also may need speakers, though the midi provides a decent headphone set that's EQ leveled.

That's nearly $1.2k AUD. Assuming you have the guitar.
BUT - for folk/acoustic it's possible to do for only $100 without the midi (midi's really only needed for multiple instruments) ~ cheapish usb microphone, guitar, and a dickhead (you the musician)

ALSO - LEARN TO PRODUCE, GET A GUIDE.

a lot of amps have an output that can either go into a mixer with 1/4'' sound cord or directly into usb. if your amp has no output, you could plug your guitar directly into a mixer and into the PC using 14'' into 3.5mm. You'll have to do effects on the PC using software rather than your amps effects. a small mixer could run you less than 100 bucks. nowadays there are probably ways to plug in a guitar directly into your PC using usb. Guitar Center guys will go off on it for days. Just gotta look into it.

(1/4'' not 14'')

as in, my penis is 1/4 inch not 14 inches

>make noise
>literally never had a chance to crank amp up to reasonable volume
>have never experienced being able to directly record from mic'ed amp in an environment where i can properly make ideal levels of mic feedback
>always have to settle for making super quiet recordings and boosting everything while being unable to capture characteristics of amp or having to record from mixer while being unable to fully use mic feedback or listen while recording
>get to play on college station twice, soundproof room, well mic'd, oh shit nigger
>can't take advantage of it because i'm too drunk, have like 2 minutes to set up, engineer only does pop punk shit, and don't know how any of their gear works at all
>will never have this chance again

>ridiculously pricey
admitted, but you can save some $$$ by getting a lot of used stuff off ebay and craigslist and reverb. also, buy stuff that was cheap to begin with.
>and might not be so simple to set up
most midi controllers are super easy to set up. hell, the focusrite scarlett series doesn't even need setup. you literally just plug it in.
electronics aren't really that hard. if you can set up a guitar rig, you can set up a silent studio

Use the midi controllers for drums n bass. You don't have to have drums, you could just use pads. Same with bass, doesn't have to come from a bass guitar.

get an amp with an output, you practice amp using cheap fuck gosh

ofcourse its possible to set something new up if ya got the dough.also before anyone read this buys an interface or something make sure it makes the sound youre going for

>wahh it's too hard to use
RESEARCH, MOTHERFUCKER
DO YOU SPEAK IT

midi is easy but that dude mentioned interface for a guitar, recording it in a computer (gonna need to buy software for that) and effect pedals. to get the electric guitar sound without an amp thats what's necessary

It's literally more expensive to record real instruments traditionally (e.g. amp, pedals, mic) than to just use a Scarlett Solo and pirate some software pedals.
>kids/the poor should be able to access music as a hobby
absolutely not. no.

>You don't have to have drums, you could just use pads.
They sound terrible though.

But the bass is optional.

scarlett solo through pirated software pedals recorded on free software? that would sound terrible

You won't need a lot of software if you use the right rig. There are interfaces out there that supports plug 'n' play. You can just download some free reverb/delay/crunch/overdrive fx vsts and overlay them in some free software like Reaper.
There, problem solved. You just spent zero dollars on software.

I've been thinking of getting a Scarlett Solo. Does it sound like shit?

play ethereal ambient music, then. go the Grouper route

thats subjective TEST IT at a store before buying one

i alluded to "mic feedback" twice and you managed to someone not catch it either time. what did you mean by this?

yeah but the guitar might as well be a midi in that setup

Guitar-shaped MIDI controllers are more expensive than normal guitars for whatever reason.
And typically MIDI guitar sounds are really cheap and robotic unless you edit the fuck out of them. It's probably better to just use a normal guitar.

FUCK YOUR NEIGHBORS! PLAY ALL THE LOUD MUSIC YOU WANT!

I meant that if a guitar is plugged into a computer and the effects are done there itll sound more like a keyboard than nirvana

That's not true at all. It'll sound exactly the same as it does through the headphones.

>live in a normal size house
>rural
>no one to play music with

>the effects are done there
if it went through an amp, then an interface, then a pc u might retain the warmth and distortion of the electric sound

atleast you can practice in peace, salute

That's easy.
1.) write songs alone.
2.) internet

Do some quiet shitty record and call it experimental, then get a proper copywriter to sell that shit on pseuds.