SHOTS FIRED!!!

SHOTS FIRED!!!

>In 2007, “Diary of the Dead” all of a sudden made money. I was blind-sighted by that. One of the producers said, “Let’s make another one quick.” I didn’t know what else I could talk about. “Diary of the Dead” talked about how social media is haunting us today. I didn’t have anything else to talk about. So I decided to go back to the original premise of misunderstanding and people not being able to see each other’s point of view. I said I’ll do this one as a western and the next one as a noir. So did the western, nobody liked it, and the other one fell away. Then, all of a sudden, here came “The Walking Dead.” So you couldn’t [make] a zombie film that had any sort of substance. It had to be a zombie film with just zombies wreaking havoc. That’s not what I’m about.

indiewire.com/2016/10/george-romero-interview-night-of-the-living-dead-zombies-1201740739/

The Walking Dead is shit. I enjoyed Survival of the Dead more than the first season of that shitfest and that's supposed to be the best part. I gave up during season 2.

His movies have more havoc than that show by far.

This is some interesting shit. I didn't know Romero was an Academy voter. I'm glad to hear he thinks it's shit.

>Waa someone else did zombies better than I did and is more popular

Get over it old man.

>The Walking Dead
>better than anything

you are 12, but he hasn't been able to finance a movie in forever that wasn't about zombies. he should be better than this.

This. Older creators passed their prime always just trash the work of newer creators in an attempt to stay relevant.

>pioneer a concept as a movie monster that's so popular that it practically becomes an entirely new genre on its own
>pretty much dedicate your career to it for decades because it's all people know you for
>movies get worse with each iteration
>can't get anything greenlit anymore
>have to sit idly by as some fat neckbeard from Kentucky apes your work with a comic book that gets adapted into a TV series and goes on to become one of the most-watched scripted shows on TV and one of the most significant pieces of pop culture since the turn of the millennium

>more popular=better
the walking dead is a successful marketing campaign that has no artistic value. the comic is far superior and plebs like you are just part of the problem. I agree that romero hasn't a successful movie in awhile, but that doesn't make you Pokémon worshipping critters righteous

Romero is a hack.

>pretty much dedicate your career to it for decades because it's all people know you for
>implying Knightriders doesn't have a cult following
CAMELOT IS A STATE OF MIND!

>the comic
Is a soap-opera that goes nowhere slowly, who cares? If it weren't for the 'who dies?' factor it'd be dead.

M8 I'll fight you to death.

t. buzzfeed

>one of the most significant pieces of pop culture since the turn of the millennium

I love George but he lost it a long time ago. Shitting on a meme show that's popular because of something he pioneered comes off as a little salty.

Found footage is shameful trash and he should be embarrassed about Diary's existence.

read the interview, in context it doesn't sound at all salty, he didn't call the interview just to shit on successful zombie stuff

No, he's just a simple indie filmmaker who got lucky. Leave the guy alone.

>one of the most significant pieces of pop culture since the turn of the millennium
Why would you say it's this? And no it's popularity is not an argument, you have to be more then popular to qualify as "significant".

I really don't like any of George Romero's new movies. He was fantastic through day of the dead, then he just fell off. Maybe it's time to retire.

>It had to be a zombie film with just zombies wreaking havoc. That’s not what I’m about.
Isn't that EXACTLY what his movies used to be about

There was a scathing social satire in his films, but it was conveyed through zombies wreaking havoc until day-of-the-dead. In that movie the people were the bad guys

No one has made a better zombie film though.

TWD is like the third big boom of zombies anyway. Romero was just riding the coattails of the Dawn remake.

No one liked Survival because it was boring, predictable shit.

bruiser was okay

It turns out Romero's filmmaking is too advanced for Sup Forums.

I love found footage, but Diary of the Dead is so fucking awful.

The guy hasn't made a good film in over 30 years. Why does he think anyone cares about what he thinks?

No, the zombies wrecking havoc was just icing on the cake.

it's fucking "blindsided"

>he thought people watched movies for their themes and sociological insight

>the comic is far superior
Nope, only the prison arcs are better than the tv show.

>So you couldn’t [make] a zombie film that had any sort of substance. It had to be a zombie film with just zombies wreaking havoc. That’s not what I’m about.

What a load of shit. THE WALKING DEAD has plenty in the way of relevant social themes and commentary and attempts at emotional/dramatic substance, it just doesn't execute any of it particularly well, and any sort of meaning/message that can be derived from the zombie genre feels pretty rote at this point.

How exactly is this different than what Romero gave us with LAND OF THE DEAD, DIARY OF THE DEAD and SURVIVAL OF THE DEAD? Literally all that's missing is some gimmicky satirical hook.

Danny Boyle did with 28 days later

I got a signed poster of Survival Of The Dead from back when he went around promoting it.

>So you can’t call me someone who fled the Trump mania. But it’s just disgusting. I can’t believe that so many people are sucked in by that kind of rhetoric. Basically, it’s disappointing. That’s the only word for it. And they’re actually attacking press people. This whole rhetoric about the fucking nasty press being almost as bad as Hillary. Crooked Hillary! Crooked press! Jesus Christ, it’s unbelievable.

Trumpanzees BTFO

zombies are extremely overdone now. You can't make an original, not even ironic zombie films anymore and no one shouldn't even try that because it would be overdone to death. Zombies are a lame early 2000's meme that died with walking dead

All of the recent Negan Walking Dead hype had me thinking about checking it out despite dropping the show a couple seasons ago. I wondered if I should try catch up on the old eps.first but then was struck by the realization that I probably didn't miss anything