This is just a fat autistic dude yelping about how girls don't like him while in the background some guys forget how to...

This is just a fat autistic dude yelping about how girls don't like him while in the background some guys forget how to play their instruments. What's the appeal?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=SCWRjWOowkc
youtube.com/watch?v=yao_T2adl14
youtube.com/watch?v=Tpd6l99kNcc
youtube.com/watch?v=PGJ9WaAD9iE
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

That actually sounds pretty interesting. Gonna finally check it out now, thanks OP

You’re a fucking brainlet, and I don’t throw that word around liberally.

that's not even the weird one

The appeal is that it's a fat autistic dude yelping about how girls don't like him while in the background some guys forget how to play their instruments

This is Pure Comedy if it was made by talented musicians and an intelligent frontman. I’ll just say that.

the fact that he blames it on everything but himself

Holy shit, perma ban please.

>forgot how to play their instruments
>implying the sound isn't intentional and brilliant
Imagine being this much of a pleb

Have you ever read A Confederacy of Dunces?

The appeal is that it's a fat autistic dude with self-awareness doing a hilarious impression of a fat autistic dude with no self-awareness. The band are incredibly tight groove rockers who'd been playing in Cleveland bands for a decade, pretending not to know how to play.

>The appeal is that it's a fat autistic dude with self-awareness doing a hilarious impression of a fat autistic dude with no self-awareness.
it didn't come off to me like that, desu. i think david is very sincere (although a bit over the top) on this album

good album

He's completely sincere, but he's self-aware. There's no irony in what he does, as he's said himself, what there is is "self-aware absurdity".

Let me just put away my rage to try to make something which can be posted the next time this shit is inevitably posted.

Pere Ubu are a super-group of musicians who are playing often half-satirical songs which mock the music actually being produced at the time. In the late ‘70s, cities around the United States were dying. Yet, the pop songs were often still naive love limericks rehashed from the 60s and 50s. New York was thought to be on the verge of total collapse, which is what spawned the no wave. Cleveland, which is where all the musicians were active, was also in decay. The actual Pere Ubu song isn’t what it seems, and though the singer may be singing about how women have caused him to go insane on something like “Non Alignment Pact,” the actual purpose of the song is the fact that someone has gotten to the point where they think women have made him insane and are going to cause a nuclear holocaust. It’s to illustrate how isolated the average person feels in modern society. I struggle to believe people who come onto fucking Sup Forums aren’t able to see how absolutely insane and exhausted most people act now. In summary, they’re demonstrating how autistic modern civilization makes people, and if you don’t believe modern society does have that affect on people, you should probably just go back to listening to the Beatles and Lil Pump.

Also, Peter Laughner who wrote most of the guitar parts is a genius, and the synth was used in a way which literally hadn’t been done until they invented it on this record.

>and the synth was used in a way which literally hadn’t been done until they invented it on this record

im dumb please explain

>and the synth was used in a way which literally hadn’t been done until they invented it on this record.
Roxy Music and Devo tho

Allen Ravenstine wasn't a trained musician at all, was way into sound art and noise and field recordings before Pere Ubu. His synth didn't have black and white keys, just a 3x3 button matrix and a joystick. I wouldn't say it wasn't bein done, because it was academically/experimentally (Stockhausen, Schaeffer, Conrad Schnitzler etc). He was the first to use it in this context

>He was the first to use it in this context
pls
youtube.com/watch?v=SCWRjWOowkc

What am I supposed to be seeing?

I'll admit this is really cool but it's not really in the same vein imo. This is more "trippy" sound effects with a far out keyboard whereas Allen was creating much more dark pessimistic atonal machine sounds coming from a completely untrained musical background. This song is closer to the early Roxy stuff. Devo were contemporaries and also from Ohio, and they also had the decaying industrial town aesthetic + harsh criticism of modern society

What do you think? The use of a synthesizer as a "textural/atmospheric" instrument in the context of pop music, predating Pere Ubu by a good 8 years, perhaps?

Seriously now, does he have down syndrome? If he does I could totally get the praise of getting so far despite being retarded, as is I can just assume he's merely pretending to be stupid, but that's not admirable at all.

David Thomas is definitely on the spectrum somewhere.

no hes just from ohio, confusing i know

He's actually from Florida.

No, he just has a small face for the size of his head.

>when brainlets try to talk about your music

You share a board with these retards.

t. butthurt Ohioan

>mfw

Lol yeah bro, I agree, lil yachty is mad fire

I don't see why it's really different. The subject matter of the song doesn't really fundamentally change the way the synthesizer is used. For what it's worth Micky Dolenz didn't know what he was doing either. It's not as though he's treating it like a conventional instrument.

Hawkwind were using synthesizers in a similar way too, but they were closer to psychedelic freakout stuff like Krautrock.

youtube.com/watch?v=yao_T2adl14

And Devo predated Pere Ubu's use of synthesizers too

youtube.com/watch?v=Tpd6l99kNcc
youtube.com/watch?v=PGJ9WaAD9iE

RFTT > Pere Ubu
you know it's true

Are you illiterate?

I'd say the conceptual intent has more to with his originality than the actual sound. We're talking about music here, not sound design. Hawkwind was just a harder version of the way the Monkees and Roxy were using synths

if you have a point, please state it

>Hawkwind was just a harder version of the way the Monkees and Roxy were using synths
and what makes Pere Ubu different from that?

RFTT?

rocket from the tombs

>His synth didn't have black and white keys, just a 3x3 button matrix and a joystick.

This makes little to no difference if you're not playing it in a conventional fashion, and it's a stupid thing to get hung up on. I think Moog only offered keyboards and a ribbon controller, but that didn't stop people from using it in avant garde music. Allen Ravenstine's EML 101 also had a conventional keyboard.

Because they weren't just trying to make far out spacey ear candy sounds, they were using synths like Throbbing Gristle and Cabaret Voltaire, it was supposed to be unsettling and creepy and abrasive. It's like the difference between the Jimi Hendrix and Black Sabbath

He had a 200 with the external controller not a 101. He didn't have the money for more than one synth either

So you think Pere Ubu and Cabaret Voltaire fans didn't enjoy those sounds? The musicology of a technique has nothing to do with the assumptions you make about the people listening to them.

I think he had a 101 later (it's far more flexible). And I think the current guy uses a 101 also. Anyway the buttons on the 200 aren't really different from a keyboard. You just set a fixed control voltage for each button.

You're kind of splitting hairs, here.

Thanks for an actual insightful post on mu

Where do I start with them?

Their self titled archival release
Then the Extermination Night archival live album if you liked it

I guess, I like both kinds of music, I'm just trying to show you where I'm coming from with my point. It's a more abstract difference and not the concrete sounds themselves. Regardless of whether or not you can accept that we still agree that they were very forward thinking and original for the time

>It's a more abstract difference and not the concrete sounds themselves.
It's still just making atonal synth sounds in order to complement the rest of the music.