Any Sup Forumstards making a living off coding? I will be honest...

any Sup Forumstards making a living off coding? I will be honest, i don't know jackshit about it and honestly i'm at a point where i just want to work from home and make some decent money and am willing to put the time and effort into it
thing is, i don't know where to start and how to go from there to getting paid
i know web designers are highly sought after and that i would've to watch my ass to not get crooked or anything so does any Sup Forumsrother have any sound advices for someone who just want to escape the fucking 9-5 routine and stay away from workplace autism?
Also sharing stories about how and where you started to learn up to the point where you're living off your skills would be appreciated

Other urls found in this thread:

quora.com/Are-there-companies-still-using-PHP-today
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Go to college dumbass.

besides going to college, i don't want put myself through debts and there are plenty of resources online to learn everything related to the subject
all i'm asking is a bit of guidance
no need to be a fucking douche

Listen man if you really want something, you can obviously do it, just put the work in.
Stay consistent everyday.
If you really want to make a living of coding you can do it.

Web designers are a dime a dozen. Learn a useful language like Java, Javascript(node.js), Python, or even good old C.

Hah. While computer science is one of the only relevant IT courses in college, it is not the only way to enter the field. I would argue it's not the best way to do it either.

If you say "coding" you're not meant to be a programmer. Some buzzwords are only for people who have no clue what they're talking about.

yeah but do you have any pointers? Any coding language of choice to start with? Where to learn? Code Academy seems like a good place but i'm still unsure as i'm not familiar at all with the subject other than the superficial layers
I'm willing to put work into it and apply myself to learn but i just want to know where to start
Should i aim for programming? Web Developer?

learn the language for what you're trying to code
start making things to build up a portfolio
after enough time you'll be good enough to work or (shorter time probably) try a freelancing site

OP here, i mentioned in my OP that i don't know jackshit about it and i'm not pretending to know anything about it so that's why i'm asking here cause i know there must be alot of IT fags on here

>I will be honest, i don't know jackshit about it
>honestly i'm at a point where i just want to work from home and make some decent money
Pick one. If it were really just as easy as wanting it then everyone would be doing it. You have to pay your dues one way or another.

Eh, he admitted he's new. I'm not a programmer by any means. I'm an operator but I know perl, powershell, bash, html, php. I have been in the field for just about 20 years now and I will say "coding" from time to time.

This might help

thanks, will consider it
thanks, i've heard about building a portfolio being a major asset but i'm kinda clueless right now as i'm not even knowledgeable about any of the matter

>272240▶
> (You)
Try codebabes.com

yeah but i could still work and pay the bills, then in my spare time focus on learning and applying as much as i can til i get proficient with it
that's my plan

choosing a harder language like c++ or java first will make learning other languages easier in the future, but takes more time

Keep in mind that the second language you learn will be the hardest language no matter what it is. (So take your time before deciding what will be your first)

sick man, thanks!
also thanks

thanks for the tip

>java
>hard
pick one
extremely useful tho. And I agree with your statement.

udemy.com is a site I have used for a few courses in the past. They are mediocre but have lots of free/very cheap courses.

holy shit how did I not know this. thank you based user

for java, google "mooc java"

Different people learn differently, i started with programming by reading books and doing some projects that i found interesting. Also I learn things best when i get to know them in detail, if I don't know the details it's not going to work. But i guess other people can learn without going that deep in computer science. I usually accept jobs that require knowledge that i don't even have, but i have high IQ and i can learn things pretty fast , I just google whatever i need and i just get it in seconds. For others that might not be the case, maybe you will have to learn everything before doing things. But if you are a kind of person like me, then i'd recommend you to read a book/tutorial on beginner programming and after that just start working on random projects and you will learn a lot from random experiences. But if you are not the kind of person that can learn much from experiences, then you are doomed to read many books and stuff like that. But you will eventually make it and you will be able to work on paid projects. Just don't do programming if you don't have any interest in it, it will be very hard. Try to find something that you enjoy, if you like programming only because of money.

Then what languages are you good with?
You need to have actual use cases for what you want to build/write.

i agree with this. the whole process can be sped up if you get things really quickly. you can get shallow experience in multiple languages and figure things out while doing a job

IT fag reporting in. There are ways to work at home without being a computer programmer. I used to do web development and was attending CTU last to get my bachelors in cyber security but then dropped out because I just wasn't liking the whole situation at the time. In other words I have a little bit of experience to share on this topic. I would recommend learning php as it is a good way to learn web development and general programming practices. As far as object oriented programming languages go I would suggest Java as it has very similar syntax and programming protocols used in other languages such as C# or Visual Basic. IF you just want to work at home then try telenetwork or amazon customer service rep. these are good entry level jobs that pay decent and are IT related.

i mentioned that i don't know jack shit, i'm starting from scratch here
computer programming was one of the first thing i wanted to do when i was 8 and had my dad showing me Warez and telling me all this crazy stuff that his workmates did from where he was working
somehow, life got fucking hard for me and i never went through with learning anything at all being busy with too much stuff to deal with

Please don't suggest he learn php. Who the fuck is still using php?

Languages to learn in order
> vb.net
> asp.net
> c#
> java
> c
> perl or python

Get visual studios 2017 edition. Will have almost everything u need

Amazon almost never hires reps. Same with apple.

>vb.net
>wtf

thanks for the tip
i'm kinda like you on the ''learning best when i get to know what i'm getting into in details'' so that's why that if i'm willing to get into this, i'll go as much balls deep as i possibly can

I don't want it to be true but perl is basically dead. Python should definitely be chosen over perl.

a lot of people are still using php i know you are a coding G*d all things should be done your way. Often is the case with autistic programmers they think there way is the only way. Please coding G*d why the FUCK IS FACEBOOK USING PHP also this quora.com/Are-there-companies-still-using-PHP-today

Starting from easiest

Sup Forums is pure php

Python

Ummm yes they do whats your record like? If you don't have a record they will hire provided you pass the phone interviews and skype meetings. IF you have a record recently within the last 7 years then yes I see this applying.

>php

The sites that use it are begging to get fucked.

I know php and would possibly use it for an intranet facing site (with extreme trepidation) but anything external should not be php for sure.

Go to codeacademy . com and make your way through some of the courses and see if it's something you want to do.

Holy fuck no - haha

who by you? ir by elite hackers? who should be fucking targeting block chain vulnerabilities if they are in it for any real purpose. I don't know to many hackers wasting there days trying to figure out how to break into facebook on a massive scale unless there doing it as a way to gain bounties put out by these companies to pen test weaknesses within there infrastructure. It is possible there is an cyber security autistic savant out there who could be doing this but probability is low. PHP is pretty secure from the average bear within the internet.

Even if you have a skill, it doesn't make you good at business. You can still get fucked doing shit work with shit hours if you don't know how to market yourself, and if you're working on your own, you're basically running a business. There's a lot more to that than meets the eye.

>t. business owner

It's not just insecure, it's clunky and hard to use compared to javascript. It's old and outdated and has a replacement already so why learn it as a new comer?

very fucking true working for yourself can be very stressful and is more of a do or die type of pressure in the launch stages and stabilization period.

>do you have any pointers
Have you tried C or C++?

I'm a software developer. I went to university. I (mostly) like my job.

yeah i've heard about that and that i should get myself a lawyer if i get into this to make sure not get fucked over

i haven't tried anything, i'm fishing for advices before taking the plunge

You'll get programmer humour eventually.

Yep. I've been coding since I was 12 though so your milage may vary.

So, you might be lacking two important skills that's important for a developer. Both drive and talent. Not saying you don't have either of those, I'm just going to doubt you do based upon what you've posted.

Go learn C#, it's the easiest language that corporations eat up the most. easy enough to make 75k after a couple years of knowledge. When you get gud, learn SOLID principles.

From there you can do your own shit or just make a decent salary until you die. I personally like the whole working with startups that you know will succeed for equity, then waiting for them to be bought route. It's worked well for me, but that's probably all luck.

I get it user your performance whore. However these things are as you should know situationally dependent. Here is an example of when one should consider which one to use within the planning stages of a project copy and pasted from source on google. You should consider PHP if your project involves…

CMS’s like WordPress, Drupal, or Joomla etc.
Servers like MySQL, SQL, MariaDB, Oracle, Sybase, and Postgresql etc.
Solution Stacks like LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP)
You should consider JavaScript if your project involves…

Dynamic single page applications (SPAs)
Front-end technologies like jQuery, AngularJS, Backbone.js, Ember.js, ReactJS etc.
Server-side technologies like Node.js, MongoDB, Express.js, etc.
Solution Stacks like MEAN (MongoDB, Express.js, AngularJS) Just depends on the jobs criteria really. Neither of the languages are bad to learn php is still more mainstream and popular though imo pretty sure data would back me up on this.

javascript runs in browsers. php runs on servers. you're mixing apples and oranges here.

>working with startups that you know will succeed

No such thing.

yeah, i feel like a total noob now haha
you're right about the ambition and drive thing, i do have it but lately it's been fluctuating towards a bottom well because of personal life stuff but if anything can help have a better quality of life and that i can set myself a detailed plans, then i'll work accordingly

Do you even know what LAMP is? That is literally just when you have a linux server and install apache, mysql, and php on it.

PHP is still considered the newbie language, and it is dying.

Small companies start with PHP generally because they can't afford developers with any talent.

Youll rarely see new platforms being made on it now, it's mostly just systems stuck with it.

No? They accomplish the same tasks and client side processing is safer and more efficient for you than server side.

haha

1995 was the year i finally got to say "fuck off" to pointers. it's been java ever since.

i do not miss the days of doing windows programming and having to decide between the different memory models when starting coding project.

Also I don't think you know what node.js is.

There's very little chance you will get hired as a programmer without at least a a 2 or 4 year degree. Web programming maybe if you have a good work background and at least some certificates.

Yeah, that's not exactly true. You always bet on the jockeys not the horse. It's also alot of luck. Few jockeys later and a few million later here I am!

Nothing wrong with that. But that has to change to be a developer. Developers tend to be the ones interviewing other developers, and if you actually dont care about what you're doing we're going to know. Find a reason to like it, find a reason to obsess, money and jobs will flow naturally from there.

True. I actually kind of shit on the college route earlier but honestly your best chances of getting hired are with a degree AND a fuckload of experience. The less of both you have the less appealing you will look to employers.

while there is some overlap in what they can each do, it certainly is not the case that you can do in javascript in the browser everything that you can do with php on the server.

Ok user heres a question.
What's one of the harder or most hardest languages to learn.
bonus points if it gets you a job.

HARDMODE no Hacksaw

Software Engineer here, got my undergraduate in Computer Science. I'm a full time .NET Core and Angular dev. I know we have plenty of web developers, but they all have at least four year degrees. We will hire contractors that have associates or industry experience, but they rarely get offers for full time positions.

Eh, I've worked in many companies and have hired a ton of developers. No one has ever cared about a degree, just what you are able to do.

> JavaScript runs in browsers
What year is it?

2018. why?

no its not, its 2017

>4 year degree web devs
why?

Yep. Graduating in May with a cs degree, and looking at even just starting jobs employers want you to know a ton of languages and technologies they dont even teach in college. You either learn it yourself or from internships.

node.js ;)

and this OP is a brief taste of the fuckery that is IT every body has all these different takes on how shit should be done and thus causes a lot of run time errors in the development process. Support what support? sink or swim.

Web designers are not highly sought after, as the market has been saturated for many years. We developers, however, are.

My company only hires if you have a degree... at least for entry level positions. I think we might technically hire people who have experience elsewhere but no degree.

mfw information security tech.

It's not as good money as the programmers but I don't have to worry about fighting a bunch of pajeets for my job.

i dunno, i've heard C+ to be relatively hard

Like I said, they probably have work experience and certificates. Either that or they were hired like 10+ years ago.

Because that statement is so outdated that there are programmers who were born after it became false.

I didn't even know people still get certificates besides IT support dudes. Haha

yeah, show me all those 6-month-old programmers out there.

They are writing Angular SPAs in Typescript while maintaining an internal front-end framework. It's more than HTML/CSS. They have to understand our distributed system platform and be able to follow our CI/CD processes.

Some people got a certificate in 1995, did 5 years IT, moved into development, and now are regular devs.

Again I'm not a programmer but an operator (more devops at this point). However I do not have a degree and even with 18-20 years of experience I have definitely missed out on plenty of job opportunities because of no degree. I would say 40% of the IT administrator jobs wont even look at your resume without a degree so I imagine it's even worse for engineers/developers. I make six figures now though and I can say I did it without a college degree and that puts a huge smile on my face.

Am I wrong then? Idk where you live and what company you work for lol. What background do the people without degrees have?

How the fuck do you even get experience when every fucking country requires experience?

company?

Smaller companies, generally around 200 employees. C# background.

I'll be fair though and stop being a jackass, everyone who was hired knew someone.

I've been programming in Node since 2012. You can't even Google right. It's from 2009.

Fucking trump requiring coding experience to get in.

go to craigslist. in the lower right, under "gigs", there's a section for "computer". in there, you will find tons of people who have ideas and want someone (anyone) to build it for them. they usually don't pay anything. but, it's a good place to start.

It's been like that for 4 years though?

Also, most of these people dont have business experience so they won't know what vested equity means. Do some research and demand 30% of the company to do the job.

>WORKING
>4
>FREE
I might as well program for Sup Forums

read the date. it clearly says 2017, not 2009.

Apply anyway and hope you get an interview. You never know.

> few million

Yeah you are one of the extremely lucky ones. Usually employees of startups get stock that can be diluted after further rounds of VC funding. The only way to walk away with millions on an exit is to be a founder.

Gotta understand contracts and equity before you get involved, auto vesting on buyout is a beautiful thing.