I want to learn a programming language or two Sup Forums, where should I start?

I want to learn a programming language or two Sup Forums, where should I start?

Plugging your computer

Depends on what you want to do. I'd check out some Python tutorials and see if you can do something doable, like taking an input and printing it backwards

For learning python all the way. Anyone who disagrees is a moronic faggot.

I really want a hot dog.
Could really go for a weiner

JavaScript in Node.

I started looking into python, but a friend of mine in the IT field told me nobody really uses it for anything. I'll probably still learn as much of it as I can just to have some knowledge that I might could transfer to other languages.

I unironically prefer vanilla JS.

I live in a smaller city, here the companies uses C++ and java mostly. Maybe I would start with C++ tutorials and then try a bit of Java, just to try it out and try some JavaScript as well, it's nice to get some perspective about the languages

Your friend doesn't realize that Python is one of the fastest growing languages for developers and devops? Hm

Python is useful and can teach you good practice. If you start with something like JavaScript, you'll learn paradigms that don't as easily translate to other languages/applications. Going from Python to something else like C#, Java, Go, etc, will be easier if you know Python than if you know JavaScript, generally

Language used depends on application. Who the fuck cares what people use locally. If you program hardware you use c++ . If you program online web databases you use php. If you want to learn a strong language and are a beginner you learn python. No one ever learns just one language. But choosing the best first language makes it all easier. The last project I worked on used c++, html, javascript, php, python and more to get the job done. Learn python bro. Trust me.

Python is big and only growing. I recommend learning Java first, though -- it's a C-style language, which means when you learn it, you basically learn the basics of C, C++, and C# for free. Plus, it's a good language that gets used plenty in industry.

Don't start with java or c types. Python is what you want to start with if you don't want headaches. Sounds like your going for self taught. Don't try to teach yourself c for your first language.

Python first.

Check out NewBoston on youtube. One of the few non-poo's making programming tutorials. Do python first.

Java script, read the book by Jon duckett it's a superb intro, but keep in mind it's not a real language. Move onto java with the " head first " book series, read java and design patterns and along the way set yourself small goals in the form of projects. Also always be on the lookout for a good YouTube series on your subject

Python is a headache in and of itself. Dynamic typing can be a nightmare, the language itself is slow, and being an interpreted language, you don't get the feedback that you do from a compiled language like Java. Yes, you can learn basic programming structures like loops and if-statements in Python quite easily, but it's not terribly hard in Java, either.

I second python. A project that would take one month in c can be done in two weeks with python due to its ease.

My point was it could be good to know what the local companies use the most if you don't want to move, but I stand corrected. I withdraw my opinion

CHeck out sentdex python tutorials on youtube or something

hes the fucking shit i learned so much

In school we started with qbasic, theen pascal, then c++, then python. I could have skipped a lot of we started with python then moved to c++

Letting an overused image doing the talking for you isn't really a good way to make a point.

I'm a seasoned pro with my own IT business and I can tell you in my experience that if you come to Sup Forums looking for advice then you're a fucking retard.

Depends on what you want to do. I know C/C++/M and I'm picking up Ada just cause it supports my work.

I recommend figuring out your end goal (i.e. product) before learning the language it requires. That way you can practice with the language instead of just reading shit & watching videos.

Ruby ftw

>seasoned pro
>own business
>lurks Sup Forums

Go fuck yourself beta faggot. I'm sure there is a good trap thread somewhere.

C#, while it’s not as 1337 as some other languages, it’s good for beginners, it gets the job done, and once learned it’s easy to move onto c/c++ or other.

Jealous? Go vent in a cuckold thread. I couldn't care less.

Python, you can do funny stuff quite fast, and you want it because would be your motivation factor.

You're not going to get a job in the industry just because you decided to try to learn a particular language on a whim. Pick a language to do something you find enjoyable, and don't worry too much about that language's relative popularity. If you do decide you want to pursue a career in this, it'll take years of training, but you'll switch languages periodically based on the type of project you're working on. Source: programmer who's worked in 5+ languages professionally.

Hey why not focus that energy into writing up a CV? then maybe one day you too can find a job. Haha.

For PC android iOS?
Java or phyton
For usin Raspberry Pi or arduino
C, C++, Assembler
For using microxontrolers like motorola or microchip
C, C++

Why would I be jealous? I own two sucessful companies.

Please. Shut up. We all know that PHP is superior and all you faggots have no fucking idea. Especially you.

I'd say get your base knowledge from python then once you're passed most of what you can find on YouTube move to Java or C++
Best piece of advice I can give is that while you're learning you'll want to use a really basic environment. It helps a lot later

> not a seasoned pro
Sorry but your jealousy is showing

Nah, definitely start with Brainfuck. Here's a Hello World program to get you started, assuming it gets past the spam filter.

++++++++++[>+++++++>++++++++++>+++>+.

no bullshit go to code academy they have a great course fgt

>Python is one of the fastest growing languages for developers and Devops
Says who? Your classmate?

Jeez OP don't listen to this beta python faggosts. Don't listen to cppfags too. All of them want you to learn this hipster shit to keep cobol market in current condition. Yes really, cobol is only true satysfing programming language, which would let you earn enormous money.

The Salt sometimes gets in my eyes. Any advice?

My nigga

lfmao are you serious

Get an Android phone and learn Java.

Write and publish your own apps, even if they are crappy and redundant with all the other apps out there. It's good experience and you can't really do it with iPhones because Apple will reject everything and also you'll be learning a stupid language.

But Java is highly portable and has a lot of uses and is way-the-fuck easier to learn than anything related to C.

I see a lot of suggestions for web languages to which I say "meh". I mean I guess someone has to do web development but it's not my cuppa tea.

Not him, but you can make some serious money as an experienced Cobol developer. Most of the original programmers are retiring now, so there are very few people left with the experience needed to maintain critical Cobol infrastructure used by banks and the like.

Dude. Shut up or you'll ruin it for the rest of us.

Is learning programming at uni gonna do me any fucking good?

You get back what you put into it.

Depends on if you're any good at it. I make six figures working as a software engineer, but I also worked my ass off for years to get here. YMMV.

python

java

fegot

Yeah, there are a lot of things that are hard to pick up on your own.

I'm mostly self-taught. Took a few college classes but then dropped out and joined the military as a developer. Now I'm making 6 digits in the private world as a developer but compared to guys who took the college route I struggle with things like overall architecture or complex class inheritance and other more cerebral concepts.

I'm great at debugging and adding features or fleshing out a prototype but I try to avoid ever being pegged as an architect. Should probably go take some classes but so far so good.

Did you fuck up your health sitting in a chair all day?

dunno, probably a bit
realistically most high paying jobs involve sitting in a chair all day though
i try to stay active with stuff like skiing/biking
for what it's worth (not much), i'm still in better shape than the average american

It depends on what you want to do. For applications, consider Python/Java/some C variant. For web development, learn the three essentials (HTML/CSS/JS), and then decide if you want to go further into database languages and such.

Most of all, don't sweat it when you can't do something right away. Everybody had it rough in the beginning.

Actually almost all the developers I know are in fairly good shape or no worse than average.

If anything, I think sitting in a chair so much makes us even more conscientious about our health.

There's also "standing desks" which are surprisingly popular. I hate em though.

People don't go to university to learn programming. They learn math and computer science.
If you want to be "just a programmer" who writes some abstract code - you just learn the programming language and find a job.
If you want to be a researcher, read articles / write articles and from time to time write some code - then you go to uni.
Going to uni and then working as a lowly programmer is kind of retarded.

You earn 6 figures but you don't know about inheritance?

Python is a pretty good one.

Mind fuck

I know what it is but tend to avoid using it if left to my own devices.

I generally feel is an abused form and whatever sense it makes to the original author, it can make things harder to read and understand down the road.

You fucking faggots.. Everyone knows you start with Matlab, OP. You faggots

The shit you learn in uni is out of date by the time you get into the industry, it's the concepts you develop that are important, focusing on programming rather than some watered down bullshit ain't something I would recommend

>Matlab

Sorry but I think you're full of shit.

Are you retarded? There are areas like computer graphics / machine learning / data mining / e.t.c. where you need a huge background in math and cs. You can't just start "programming" lol.
If you are a fucking web-developer or something yeah sure you don't need to learn stuff at uni.

Yo randomfag here, I know c++ and html, a little java, php, a bit of sql, do you recommend I learn python still? I mean can it do anything these can't? If so, what?

> yo man i know hellow world level stuff like cycles and if statements should I start learning programing from scratch?
Fixed for you mate.

/shrug
Interesting thing is there are a lot of people worse than I am, presumably making just as much. Like I'd saw we have about 30 developers and probably only 5 of them would be what I'd call "star programmers" who really know their shit inside and out. Some them write code I really hate working on because they use concepts that make writing easier for them but if anything changes, all their shit breaks and I struggle to understand how to fix it. I really hate factory methods and templates too.

But I mostly have made superhero status because I'm patient and can debug shit. I find a lot of the rockstars really love writing their own code but hate debugging and hate working on other people's code and have a tendency to want to re-write everything and then end up taking forever or breaking shit. They go from new project to new project and avoid debugging tasks if they can.

I prefer to join projects that are mostly settled and just need to be maintained. Then I just follow whatever pattern is already laid out. If I have to write new code, though, it's usually pretty flat.

This. Web developers =/= comp sci grads. Two completely different beasts with unique jobs.

I said exactly that. You can't just start "programming". You need to learn the fucking concepts. Learn to fucking read.

Yeah best stick to that. I'd never want to go near a project that didn't use inheritance. But good luck to you mate.

Yep, just explaining the point that you don't have to be a rock star to make 6 figures.

In the end, the world is more full of old code that needs to be maintained than new programs that need to be written. Patience and the ability to feel a need to rewrite the world and cause 10 new bugs in the process is surprisingly hard to find and can definitely get you pretty far.

Yeah nah you're full of shit

Aim the dicks a little bit lower

Start on HTML first, then CSS, then Javascript, then you can jump on any language

/thread

I suggest all of you learn to program in COCK. Cause you're all faggots.