What makes an album, say, a 3/10 as opposed to 1/10? What's the difference? What is a 3/10 album...

What makes an album, say, a 3/10 as opposed to 1/10? What's the difference? What is a 3/10 album, as opposed to what you consider a 1/10 album?

For me a 3/10 is an album that I actively disliked, a 1/10 is an album that actually offends me in some way with how awful it is. Any sight, mention or hearing of it makes me angry or upset

pic related is a 1/10 that would be a 3/10 if you removed all the degenerate slut shit and kept the psych pop

3/10 is a bad album but with something that has potential, maybe some passages in songs, maybe a whole song orr some lyrics
1/10 has no potential at all and is so bad that it makes me angry

what's a 10 for you?

10/10 = Something you treasure & is the best of a certain category in your opinion.
9/10 = Something you treasure.
8/10 = Something you love.
7/10 = Something you really like.
6/10 = Something you like for the most part.

5/10 = Something you dislike more than you like it.
4/10 = Something you really dislike.
3/10 = Something you hate.
2/10 = Something you loathe.
1/10 = Something you loathe & it's the worst example of a certain category.

this is unironically an 8/10
the length of it(92 minutes) is a great pleb filter

10 - perfect; flawless in every possible way
9 - amazing but not absolutely perfect
8 - really goddamned good
7 - basically enjoyable
6 - just above mediocre
5 - I'm forgetting what it sounds like even as I'm listening to it
4 - generally acceptable but kind of bad
3 - bad
2 - really bad
1 - this is assault on a personal level
0 - didn't listen all the way through

>this is unironically an 8/10
this

The fact that she actually went crawling back to her Disney channel audience will never cease to amuse me.

I have a theory. Disney channel is the reason so many people have poor senses of humor and are fucking stupid. I think you could say this about anything Disney related though, they're the ultimate culture controllers. Also, I've never felt comfortable with people treating number ratings as something with complete objectivity. If I was doing music ratings, I'd probably just do a 1-5 scale and not use decimals.

>6
>Just above mediocre

>4
>generally acceptable but kind of bad

>The fact that she actually went crawling back to her Disney channel audience
huh?

i go by a 2 star system because there is so much minutia and context that can make music strike me in different ways at different times so for me it goes like this
0 stars: sucks, dont recommend
1 star: you might like this
2 stars: dude you really need to listen to this

all the hair splitting is retarded. sometimes lyse is the most beautiful thing ever some times it is boring, sometimes atmospheric is love and sometimes it gives me a headache, sometimes the enigma variations massage my brain, sometimes it does nothing for me. i love all these things and i give them all 2 stars though

holy shit is there a real person on Sup Forums today?!

lysf*
atmospheric black metal*

i am a real human bean, yeah, and all this monomania about assigning THE PERFECT NUMERICAL to aesthetic experiences leaves me with a limp dick and the whole thing seems like it isn't about music at all but some performance of how sage-like our proclamations of value are. i kind of hate it, honestly.

As usual, Kelly is correct

1/10 is unlistenable noise
2/10 is barely recognizible as music
3/10 is garbage

This would just leave you with a huge unorganized list of 2/2's that you suggest should all be heard

Less differentiation between the albums devalues them

1- have absolutely no understanding of the music and how it in any way could have any merit. my complete failure to grasp what sets the music apart from noise.

2- have some idea of what the music is trying to achieve but it's egregiously bad to the point that if actively offends me and makes me angry i spent any time on it

3- bad music. somewhat annoyed i spent time listening to it.

4 - below average. slightly worse than generic cookie cutter.

5- average. meh. it's okay. doesn't stand out at all. cookie cutter stuff and bland. derived minimal enjoyment from it.

6- above average (nothing spectacular). I enjoy it but probably won't listen repeatedly. might not give it several chances

7- good music. I liked it. Enjoyed it. Will add to library and give it repeated listens to see if enjoyment increases. will put it on when im doing some work or when i need a quick distraction.

8- great music - challenging, extremely enjoyable. is different and has complexity that i can appreciate and not get bored of. gets better with each listen.

9 - both highly experimental and highly enjoyable. surprises me in unique ways and appreciation increases with each listen. it somehow both mirrors and affects my mood and makes my day significantly better to the point that i am genuinely happy music exists and i discovered this album/track.

10- every trait of 9 and also profoundly affects me (emotionally or psychologically). resonates in a way which is difficult to describe in words.Feels like an expression of genuine honesty which seems brilliant and makes me feel more than a human when listening to it. stuff that is beeautiful and close to my heart because of how it affected me.

also:

NA: I don't understand the music. maybe at some later point in my life I will see its appeal but for now it's difficult to grasp it. eg I never understood noise/grunge as a child. instead of dismissing it I reserved judgement. right now i don't understand metal so I give every metal band NA. maybe some time later i might begin to understand and rate it.

10/10 = Something you can't find flaw with, or depending if you do, so little it's a nit pick here or there.
9/10 = Just short of being comfortable saying it's a 10. Usually a track or two are weak (7/10 quality vs 8, 9 or 10) compared to the others. Also has potential to become a 10 over times.

8/10 = Something solid I'll revisit. I dig and can complain but don't see the point.
7/10 = Something that I like a song or two a lot, or it's just short of being solid (Bat out of Hell for me).

6/10 = Usually I feel on the fence, but there are a song or two that I really either Love or enjoy a lot.
5/10 = I feel neutral on, or it evens out to a neutral feeling.
4/10 = Depends, but usually if I'm on the fence but mad that I'm on the fence or bothered that it's nothing I'll give it a 4. Sometimes I also see value in it but I just don't like it. [example being Brain Salad Surgery]

3/10 = Something that bored me, and I either got nothing out of. Lots of times it goes by fast so it's easier to give this a 3, but if it was longer it could just as easily be a 2. Some albums also that I break up track by track and don't sit though, and still am bored to tears (that Thin Lizzy spin off band Black Star Riders new album)
2/10 = Something I think is a piece of shit, something I'll never return to. This kind of offends me or I am also bored to tears with. Just not comfortable giving a 1. Also if the artist regurgitates the same album for the 5th time (cough John Zorn cough) I have no problem giving this a 1. (lots of his newer stuff is very low because he's pretty much the same for the giving project)
1/10 = Something that either bores me to tears or there is absolutely no point to it's existence. Case and point the Flying Lotus Twin Peaks remix (all he did was add trap high hats). Or I check out very early (because it's so boring)

why do i need to create an artificial hierarchy of art other than to satisfy some pathological need to overorganize the world? to abet some autism? how does it devalue art to not rank it against each other?

how could i compare pink moon to spem in alium? to do so would be a heresy against both and i suspect any one capable of such a thought isn't interested in music at all but rather a monomaniacal, autistic ordering of the world is their interest and they find no seat at my hearth.

For me, a 1/10 is the polar opposite of a 10/10. A 10/10 doesn't have to be objectively perfect, because that's impossible to achieve. It mostly has to have many positive aspects that I would consider to be overwhelmingly great. Also, the positive aspects overshadow the negative aspects to such a degree that the negative aspect become barely noticeable, and the negative aspects are few and far between and so trivial that they aren't even worth acknowledging in the first place. A 1/10 is mostly just all of this but the words "positive" and "negative" replaced with each other. A 3/10 is something that had very few redeeming qualities bad, but wasn't really offensively bad.

theres no point picking your brain over such shit

just call it bad and move on
focus on good music instead

numerical rating systems are for cucks like you

a 3/10 is offensively boring. It will only be voluntarily listened to once and never again. A 1/10 is an album which transcends bad and becomes immaculate in its awfulness. It proves the fallibility of God and the inherent evil of man, it demands constant re-listening.

Fantano suddenly makes sense

Difference between hate and loathe? Difference between treasure and love?

so what are some examples of 10s by your rating?