Pug owners of Sup Forums, why do pugs eat shit? My pug has always eaten the nastiest shit...

Pug owners of Sup Forums, why do pugs eat shit? My pug has always eaten the nastiest shit, up to and including actual shit, up to and including her own shit. I've owned several other breeds and they don't tend to do this. Wtf?

Other urls found in this thread:

onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/vms3.92/abstract
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Ppl who do this pic shit need beating

Ok but my pug does fucking eat shit.

dogs eat shit in general

thats part of the deal. you get unconditional love and the animal is filthy

Ten years as a military working dog handler/trainer. Sometimes it's a nutritional deficiency but 9/10 some dogs just eat their own shit. No way around it unless you do some sort of corrective training and correct him anytime he goes to eat it.

There's a hypothesis that it is a behavioral relict from the wolf ancestors of modern dogs - they would never shit in their own den, but in case an old wolf or a pup accidentaly shat inside, they ate it to prevent the spread of parasites spreading from shit. More info on this hypothesis (along with a research on shit-eating dogs) here:
onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/vms3.92/abstract

To get rid of the scent and protect the pride.

My dachshund regularly licks his own piss

Stress related but dogs just eat shit if they feel like it

Fuck that makes sense.

thank you, Sup Forums.

It's actually a suicide method for dogs. Young dogs do it for health reasons to ingest helpful gut bacteria but older dogs do it out of sheer depression. They know eating poop might make them sick, so he is essentially trying to get sick.

Poop eating in adult dogs is sometimes a sign of extreme distress and depression. Other times it's more like a call for help, because he is exhibiting puppy behavior to the pack, so that he can be nurtured as a pup by the pack leader.

What is his normal diet? He may be driven mad by his regular diet. I know dogs who stopped doing it after they started eating real food.

Dogs eat shit when in extreme distress as adults. Puppies do it and it's normal, but for an adult to do it signals some kind of neglect.

Do you have any idea how retarded that sounds? Wouldn't eating it spread the parasites?

Pugs are the most hideous kind of dog there is. Pugs are noting but gremlins ridden with disease, bad behavior and ridiculous looks. Just like obesity is the result of the immoral and deviant ways in which we live, pugs are the result of the insensitivity of the upper class, the class that created this degenerate and unfortunate pieces of garbage. Pugs are a mistake, they serve no purpose but to entertain their owners like a cheap clown entertains old people close to death. Pugs have no space in nature, pugs are a plague that accompanies humans, like rats; but hey, rats have survived and increased their numbers by themselves, fucking pugs cant do that. Pugs deserve nothing but to be brutally eaten by their ancestors, by wolves, a real, strong, proud and fearful animal.

see your vet about it
diet related

It's not that I disagree with pugs being man made mutants, and people turning into hamplanets via mindless indulgence, but you're being an edgy cunt.

Dogs scrounge to eat shit, and other refuse when their owner isn't properly feeding them, because they're not getting the proper caloric intake. Increase its food intake by 1/4 - 1/2 cup and see if that helps.

Feeding a dog plastic kibble with euthanized dog and cat meat isn't going to do anything.

How about giving your dog MEAT you neglectful fuck?

It makes more sense once you read the article.

Most of the intestinal parasites cause contagion through eggs deposited into the shit. These eggs are not infectious by themselves, but the larvae that hatch from them are (they typically hatch in 48 hours or more - an interesting correlation here is that dogs in most cases eat shit that is at most 48 hours old). If the eggs are eaten, it doesn't cause infection (they are broken down by wolf's digestive tract).

My american bulldog does it, its fucking disgusting,i let him sleep outside for the night.

wow, you're so full of shit .. why don't you go join peta, they're always looking for retarded morrons.