Studying philosophy at uni to help Sup Forums with existential dread. Good idea?

Studying philosophy at uni to help Sup Forums with existential dread. Good idea?

Other urls found in this thread:

physics.nyu.edu/sokal/dawkins.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Yes.

what philosophy/philosophers you like?

Big supporter of the existentialists. Read most of the works from Camus and Nietzsche.
Still unsure whether nihilism is something to overcome or if that's just another way of chickening out of meaninglessness. Gotta find this out myself.

PFFFTTTTT
*clears throat*
HAHhhhAHhhAAbAHhhHGAAAaA

Kek

I'd like a number 2 with a coke pls. Oh and can I substitute fries with onion rings?

>Studying philosophy at uni to help Sup Forums with existential dread. Good idea?
Don't forget to do some serious drugs. Ideally acid and mushrooms. But make do with what you have at hand.

Threadly reminder

Camus is my dude, for me, the way I look at things is like a retard baby of theese 5

I don't do it for jobs. Don't think I'll ever find a job I'll actually enjoy doing. Also diagnosed w/ anhedonia so can't be happy anyways. I'll study, see what I can do with the new knowledge and then kms.

Is software engineer in God tier or mid tier?

Isn't absurdism acknowledging the absurd bond between man's search for meaning and the absence of it and then living life as an act of rebellion?

Study mathematics, physics and neuroscience if you want to get to the heart of reality. Unfortunately our philosophy departments have been compromised for several decades now.

Philosophy was the first science. It's literally the "love for wisdom" so philosophy is all your shit4

God.
CS and biology are on mid tier because /sci/ is autistic

Yeah but it died after (((they))) hijacked our higher ed

People are forgetting philosophy and it's really sad tbh

Have you seen what passes for philosophical scholarship these days?
physics.nyu.edu/sokal/dawkins.html

this

camus helped me a lot

so did gurdjieff ( mainly his practical ideas, not the whole 'system', you'll see what I mean.

Fuck yes, I'm heading for the high life

"They"?
Big brother is watching. Be careful about what you say.

Man, I'd love to find out something big and spark philosophy again. Not for me or for anyone, but just because it's all I've ever had in life and it's the only thread I'm still hanging on.

It is, and I agree with it, but I still have this sense that things arent as meaningless as a nihilist would make it out to be.Dont really know why, but I still feel that there is worth and value to doing your best and things you like etc (Insert motivational quotes here) and that it can bring happiness in spite of the long term meaningless because of the inevitable heat death of everything. Yes, we will all die eventually, but you're not dead yet, so dont act like it.

It really makes no difference.
Beginning → Born
End → dead
If there isn't anything in-between to change ether end or the next beginning there's nothing we can do.
Also most virtues are cucks.
Like patience being the incapability of changing things.
Or favours being part of a slave-moral.

>favours
State your intentions, leaf.

Tf
Saying that saying yes is just result of the incapability of saying no.

The thing with virtues is that you need the right amount, too much and it becomes a vice.
Also, the thing about death is that it's there, but you get to do what you want while its not yet got to you, so you're in a frame, but you're relatively free living inside the frame (considering you live in a relatively free country, because good fucking luck in somewhere like best korea). and here I will insert a quote from JP Sarte: "Man is condemned to be free; because once thrown into the world, he is responsible for everything he does. It is up to you to give life a meaning"

I was just pulling your leg

Even the biggest prison is still a prison.
If there is no complete, limitless freedom, objective freedom humanity will have problems. Freedom is a desire, but unlike hunger it can't be sated. People always want to be more free, more happy and just more. But if there's some sort of border humanity will collide with it eventually.

It's okay my dude. I'm just having a bit of an existential crisis.

Hope things look up for you

Kind words from Sup Forumsrothers always help. I'll try not to touch my 3l vodka bottle again. I'll get addicted if I keep drinking.

You should give it up bro. Make exercising your addiction

Give up the liquor of course

Good idea if you want to waste 3-4 years of your life and end up working a minimum wage job afterwards with shitloads of debt hanging over your head. Study something that will get you a job.

My dudes, I lifted weights, I jogged, I ate healthy, social contacts, girlfriend, you name it, had it all. Nihilism got its fangs in me and deep in my psyche being happy is chained to weakness, so I just don't do it.

It has me, Sup Forums. Run and save yourselves, leave me behind.

Will never leave a Sup Forumsrother behind

Screenshotted. Will print out and hang on wall.
What about happy-pills? Yea or no?
And I'm a random OP and you're a random user. But I won't forget you once this gets 404ed. Never will.

Without History we wouldn't have any of this stuff though..... and political? Politics is used in literally everything from the language you speak to the laws you follow and taxes you pay. Also, everyone wishes they could play a musical instrument and it's a huge part of peoples lives that change moods and feelings. So go fuck yourself :)

All studying philosophy at uni did for me was reenforce and refine my current nihilism.
Camus is the man, but you forgot Sartre

Didn't read any of his works yet. Am youngfag, barely got money for books and got too many viruses from sketchy PDF sites.
What age did y'all Anons guess me to be?

Any time man. If by happy pills you mean anti depressants Im afraid I don't have enough knowledge about them (neither the pharmacokinetics nor personal experience), but I will say that they seem to have really helped my father. Have you tried exercising recently? I have also (and still) struggle with depression and anxiety (lost my mother to cancer a few years back) but I have found exercising to really help. I also started watching Jordan Peterson and The Golden One as inspiration. I too will always remember this, I sincerely hope I have been of help bro

You are of help. And I work out. Jogging and lifting weights. I did the whole "Happy" list. Social stuff too and all. Even had big tiddy goth gf. Doesn't work at all. I still jog.

Feels bad when I do it. Feel like a pussy when I don't experience the worst amount of sadness I could experience.

I can relate man. I wish I knew the answer for both of our's sake. But what I do know is that life is a gift and we should consider ourselves fortunate we get to experience it. I'm not religious and from the sounds of it you aren't either (interestingly this is a major divide between ours and our parent's and previous generations, but that is a topic for another time; in short we must find our own solutions in dealing with the void). Just don't fall into the trap of (((scholarly apathy))). It is precisely what they want.

Yeah. "If you gaze into the void for too long the void will gaze back into you"
Btw, does that mean looking for happiness will leave you more sad? (For example)

I feel like the strong must be protected from the weak. But I don't know what I am. You're a true Sup Forumsro, user.

We'll make something somehow. Right?

Ahh yes, Nietzsche. I always took that line to mean that one must not get lost in their personal battles, lest they might become what it is they hate but I can definitely see the merit in your interpretation.
And any time my friend. We will indeed make it right.
I unfortunately must hop off of here, but I would like to thank you for reminding me that there are some things worth fighting for.

Don't mention it. It's been nice, user.