He's wasting time on learning guitar

>He's wasting time on learning guitar
Unless you've been playing since

What if i want to play something that isn't generic buttrock/metal?

What if I don't care about the music business and just want to play it because I enjoy playing it?

>he doesn't play more than one instrument

I play the mouth

Guitar is oversaturated in literally every single genre a guitar could possibly fit into.

You will never be able to actually play anywhere that isn't your room.

But I don't care about that. I just enjoy playing.

Piano and vocals are the only things that matter. Don't waste time with other shit.

>bassist insecure about choosing to play bass rather than guitar

>tfw wanna learn guitar just to make cool sounds and mess with pedals

>Tells people not to bother learning guitar after their early teens.
>Uses picture of artist who taught herself guitar in her early thirties in order to play a guitar line just the way she heard it in her head.

Heh.

Kate also knew piano from age 11
Meanwhile, most people learning guitar because they want to make avant-progressive dreamnoise have never touched an instrument outside of the cheap recorders middle schoolers have to use

This idea is just so ridiculous - what are you guys expecting to happen? Who's picking someone where exactly? There isn't exactly a trade show where the best guitarist is brought forth and then becomes part of a good band. Most bands are friends, and people in the same scene who like playing together, or have similar tastes in music, or just happen to ask each other to play on the right day. If you make your own, decent, music within the genre you care about others will care. No scene is full of decent musicians who can actually hold a project together. If you're capable of playing the genre, nobody cares if you're the best. That's not what music's about.

There's no market, it can't be over saturated. Play what makes you happy - expecting to make money is ridiculous. Most successful projects are just as much luck as skill.

where are you? i see fun bands with quite unskilled musicians all the time. let's guess - suburb in shittown, and all the shows you see are in arenas?

It's super easy to switch over to bass from guitar. Also being technically adept and learning guitar at a young age doesn't make you creative or groundbreaking or interesting to listen to. Technical skill is not the end all be all

I've been playing since I was 17. I'm 20 now, am I doomed?

If you do wanna play bass or drums, you really have two options - you either love the instrument or you pick it up to play with people you trust and like working with.

>playing a guitar to 'make it'

Yeah I know, but OP didn't say that. Also, what the fuck does "make it" mean? Jandek "made it".

It honestly seems like you're generalizing from two people you've met.

More to the point, major labels haven't been looking for rock bands since about 1994. I'm sorry you only just realized that you aren't in Almost Famous, dude.

>Been playing since 10
:^) I'm gonna make it bros

:D

Honestly, the least lucrative thing I can think of anyone trying to be in 2017 is a skilled guitarist. Unless they're a woman.

I see guitar as both a songwriting tool and adding flavor to my music, I'm a very jack-of-all-trades type. I produce and also play bass (like an actual bassist, not like a guitar player would), piano, and drums. Just now getting into engineering as well. All of these are just tools for making music.

Oh well you'll probably be okay then, in fact I thought you were mocking OP's notion of "making it", so it's all good.

this

that's why I'm learing music production and music theory
I suck at both