Why didn't Sauron guard the entrance to orodruin?

Why didn't Sauron guard the entrance to orodruin?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=rCY_Hjv7vKc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

WATCH IT ELESSAR!

He loves his ring too much, so he can't even imagine that someone would want to destroy it.
Basically he's dumb

why didn't he pour water on the lava to put out the fire?

he literally thought no one would get that far

because there would be no story then you stupid motherfucker piece of fucking shit

>hey, guard this active volcano

BECAUSE THAT IS HOW IT WAS WRITTEN

I like where this LOTR memery is going.

>he did

>"look mr frodo, orcs at the entrance"
>gollum appears and the orcs go chase him
>"look mr frodo the path is clear"
t. tolkien

why didn't he just use these guys

It's this, he couldn't understand how someone would destroy it instead of using it.

why were they even fighting, in the books they were playing

Should've just put a fuckin locked door here

He did, those metric ton of orcs were camping right outside, but Aragorn & co. lured them out.

Who came up with that the ring can only be destroyed in the volcano where its was forged??

What they said. He didn't expect anybody would want to destroy the Ring. It has a way of influencing people, encouraging them to keep it, to use it, to call attention to it or bring it to its master.

He never realized Hobbits existed until the events of the book, and had no knowledge of their resilience to his Ring.

Sauron, probably. In retrospect, it's actually a pretty good plan.
>make Ring that people won't want to destroy
>give its only point of destruction deep in own lands, where one would be foolish to go
>wear on own finger
I mean, were it not for Isildur and all those who bore it after him, would have been a perfectly good plan.

IIRC it was believed that dragonfire from especially powerful dragons could've probably destroyed the ring as well.

Even Voldemort wasn't that dumb

Yeah but how did everyone know how the ring can be destroyed? Did Sauron tell everyone?

Good example of how they had to make shit edgier in the movies

Was the means to destroy the ring common knowledge? I'd think not, unless I'm mistaken only a very few number of people knew how to destroy the ring, as evidenced by the council at Rivendell . Sauron probably didn't want to bring attention to the importance of Mt Doom by posting armed guards there. Hiding in plain sight and so on, 99.999999% of people in Middle Earth would just regard it as another volcano.

That and the fact that no one alive would willingly destroy the ring to the best of his knowledge was safeguard enough imo

I've always felt it a little underwhelming how Gollum just happens to fall, user on here suggested Eru himself gave Gollum a little nudge to tip the scales, considering he revived and leveled up Gandalf it's not beyond possibility.

Wrong.

Gandalf says himself that not even the fire of Ancalagon the Meme could melt the ring.

pretty sure they fight in the book

What the fuck even were those things? Could they have defeated Sauron?

No, they just play catch with some boulders.

What?? Havent you seen the RoTK?

Mountain giants.

And no, the movie CGI makes them look way huger and more impressive than they seem in the books. One could probably kill hundreds of orcs by itself, but eventually a squad of trolls would bring it down.

It's a moot point, because in Lord of the Rings, Tolkien mysteriously forgets that they even exist.

Just an artifact of the more whimsical tone of The Hobbit.

>have 5 million orcs
>not posting like 2 of them on the only door the volcano cave has

Given that Sauron didn't know where the ring is exactly and given that the forces of good were moving in on him and even won a battle or two it would be prudent to at least brick up the entrance to the volcano cave. Maybe chain some freak there that'll start yelling if someone shows up.

Instead Sauron literally did dick all for three books.

Or he could release Golem to sabotage the ring bearer
regardkess the moutain was something like 40 miles from Barad Dur

Like an earlier user said, there was literally an entire army of orcs camped around Orodruin before Aragorn and Gandalf and their army lure them to the black gate.

Sauron 100% expected that Aragorn or possibly Gandalf would reveal themselves as ringbearers attempting to use The One against him. He bent all his willpower on the Morannon because he legit thought that he was going to get his ring back at last and wanted no chance of failure in retrieving it.

Also there's the fact that, while you could post guards in the vicinity of an active volcano, it would be a waste to post guards at the literal summit where they could get incinerated any moment.

Besides, who would anticipate some lone jackoff on a suicide mission to cross the plateau Gorgoroth on foot to climb that mountain, especially with an artifact that was enchanted in a way that made people unwilling to part with it. Even with how amazingly resiliant hobbits prove to be to its lure, frodo eventually succumbs and in his last moments he would rather die than surrender it.

You kidding me? He left a bunch of horcruxes unguarded you blithering retard. He's much worse

As far as I can tell only very few people knew how to destroy it, which is why it wasn't guarded in the first place as that would raise suspicion.

>Hey guise I think there's something special about this volcano

As far as I know only Sauron himself, The High Elves, the Wizards and Isildurs Heirs knew this information. Not the kind of people who'd give that info up easily, hell Gandalf was sitting on this info the whole time and didn't let the ring bearer know until they reached Rivendell years after Gandalf/Frodo realized they had it.

Even the Prince Steward of Gondor didn't know until the council at Rivendell iirc

But didn't he sent the Nine out specifically to hunt down a HOBBIT with the Ring? He knew this, or at least knew enough to bother sending his elite-most troops to find the halfling. Remember how much of a big deal they made about that?

The second he realized that there were no hobbits in the invading army, his gaze should be straight back on the entrance to Mount Doom.

I'm not saying you're not right though, he was overconfident, it just doesn't make much sense that he wouldn't at least leave a few thousand orcs at the ONE entrance to Mount Doom 24/7.

>sent = send

What good was sitting on that little tidbit?

The elves probably knew about it due to Celebrimbror who received tutelage in the crating of magical artifacts from Sauron himself.

Celeborn wrought the three and had more intimate knowledge of Saurons methods than anybody else alive. After Sauron wrought the One and the elves realized what he was up to, Celebrimbror probably told Elrond and some of the older Elven clan-lords, which is how Elrond knows what to do with it when his cousin Isildur gets his hands on it.

don't forget that the nine track the hobbit to rivendell before being defeated and sent back to mordor and they don't appear again until later on in the war.

By that point, Sauron had assumed that frodo was nothing more than an errand boy who was just delivering the ring to some great person that he was supposed to meet in Rivendell.

He never dreamed that some lowly hobbit was supposed to go solid snake into the heart of his domain and that this is actually the best that the wise could come up with.

Why did he not simply make the Ring a CockRing? I doubt Isildur would have managed to chop his dick off.

I feel Sauron played the last battle wrong.

This was his chance to sit on the defensive, yet he still charged the invading force like a dumbass.

Think about it, one of the greatest advantages he has is that the humans are essentially coming for HIM now. He could just barricade himself in and wait for the humans to die of the foul air in Mordor, right?

Why charge through the Black Gate, when the Black Gate is probably impenetrable? And it's not like Aragorn bough siege equipment and supplies for a drawn-out encounter, right?

Why didn't sauron just fill the volcano up?

It is a bit of a stretch, and it's probably not stupid to conclude that Frodo was a one-time deal.

That being said, all through the Two Towers capturing the hobbits was a pretty big deal in case one of them had the ring. He must have entertained the possibility that one of them might have it.

Hell, even the orcs assumed that the the hobbits had some elven weapon the master wanted for the war.

Still a good forge. And who knows? Maybe he wanted other cryptic jewelry to poor all his madness into?

>Grand Elf Dwight
>not an elf
explain this bullshit

It makes sense. He was sure the Elves took the ring and told Frodo to btfo.

Then, when Aragorn used the Palantir he thought "they gave it to the heir of islidur wtf"

I think one important point to remember that even the Ring was to some extent Sauron itself, it fucked up everyone, Sauron included.

The desire to take it back was too huge to be the best strategist probably. Is the same thing that gave him the arrogance to do not predict someone would want to destroy it.

And furthermore, he was trolled hard.

Does he know it curses people who arent him?

If yes, this is a retarded logic

>Okay Mr. Frodo, do you know how to pick a lock? Or maybe we could unscrew the hinges?
>*starts crying and hitting door with pans*
>*starves*

Why didn't he just lock the door? Or collapse the entrance?

it curses them to not want to destroy it. I that hard to understand?

>It's a LotR thread episode

>Tolkien mysteriously forgets that they even exist

I decided that they were some kind of Ent-equivalents, just for mountains instead of forests. Happy doing their own thing unless they absolutely have to get involved with Middle Earth's shit.

Why would you think that is hard to understand? Are you a moron?

This always confused the hell out of me. If this thing was so destructive that it could fuck you out of existence, wouldn't you want a really fucking heavy door?

Or at least a handful of elite orc-guard that lived and breather for that door's security?

seems like you are, since you're asking things like "does he know it does X" when he's the one who created it.

Well, there are meta reasons, like the fact that the overall narrative was coming to a close and if Sauron had holed up the ending would have been pretty anti-climactic, but there's also the argument that Sauron was under the impression Aragorn would just put on the ring in order to win a battle if it seemed necessary, and that just charging all his orcs out at him just speeds up the process of the (presumed) ringbearer's corruption and the ring's inevitable return.

It worked for the Seven but they say it wouldn't work for the One

I don't know, that seems like a lot of assumptions on the Dark Lord's part.

But like people ITT have claimed, he was pretty desperate for it back and if he has (for some reason) dismissed the notion that it was with the hobbit, then I guess Aragorn having it would be the next-best guess.

Still, locking the Black Gate, sitting tight and rebuilding your army while the ring (that you assume is with a human) corrupts the shit out of their minds sounds like a much better plan from a universe perspective.

Of course from a narrative perspective watching a long drawn-out siege would have proved uninteresting.

I still consider the "drawing out of Sauron's armies" one of the riskiest and flimsiest things that actually worked in all three movies. Perhaps besides the eagles.

The deal is that Sauron literally couldn't comprehend someone wanting to destroy the ring, so guarding Mt Doom just wouldn't cross his mind. It wasn't him taking a risk or anything, more that he genuinely didn't recognise the danger.

The silly part is that if for whatever reason someone had happened to put a big locked door there, to keep a fucking draught out or something, the whole quest would have failed. You can walk thousands of miles, you can fight a million orcs, you can run, sneak, hide, but there's no way around a big-ass locked door.

Post your favourite scene

Mine is: youtube.com/watch?v=rCY_Hjv7vKc

They talk a bunch of shit about how he alone knew the secrets of hogwarts and thus the room of requirement would be a good place to hide the diadem but surely when he went in there there would have been a tonne of shit already there?

maybe not, at that time he required an empty room to hide shit in

You and a few other people ITT keep bringing up this "he didn't consider that they'd try to destroy it" thing.

Really? Weren't they pretty god damn close to destroying it last time they had a chance?

After someone got THIS close to doing it, you'd think you'd put up a neat fence or something to prevent them from doing it again.

WATCH IT ISILDUR

Why didn't Hitler guard the flanks of the German 6th Army?

Didnt happen in the books champ

>pretty god damn close to destroying it last time
and the guy who was supposed to do it said "fuck you" to his ally buddy and walked away after having the Ring for all of 10 minutes. The Ring corrupts anyone and everyone eventually

Oh, I was under the impression we were discussing the film universe on Sup Forums?

If anything, Isildur proved Sauron right, as he didn't/could destroy the ring. Even Frodo, part of this supposedly less corruptible race, refused to destroy it at the end.

>Oh, I was under the impression we were discussing the film universe on Sup Forums?
That's only ever a cover to discuss the lore and you damned well know it.

Yeah, but really? Not even a low-paid orc tollbooth attendant?

A few generations ago some dude and his elf pal literally pissed around with your ONE weakness, and you somehow never thing to close this shit off with a door?

Even if they didn't actually throw it in, are we really to believe that Sauron learned nothing from this?

Well yeah, obviously, but we are on Sup Forums, so taking what happened in the movies as the topic of discussion isn't that broad of a presumption I think.

Just admit you didn't read em you dingus

>thing = thought
Words are hard.

That scene is a movie invention, there's no evidence in the books that Isildur even contemplated destroying it

Sauron had just had his shit pushed in, so presumably had no idea about Isildur and Elrond taking the ring to Mt Doom.

>Film universe sauron has alzheimers without the ring.
>fixed your "plothole"

Tolkien talked about the "blindness of evil" in the sense that an evil being can't put itself in the place of another. If Sauron imagined someone else getting his ring, it was in the context of them trying to use it against him, as Saruman planned to do. The idea that someone would DESTROY the ring never occurred to him, why would anyone destroy such a source of power?

But yes given that Isildur and Gil Galad took the ring into the mountain, even tho obviously they didn't destroy it, should have alerted Sauron to the possibility. Blunder of the century?

wait so where was gollum taking frodo and sam before he had the change of heart at the end of TTT? he was always intending to take to the stairs of cirith ungol and through shelob's lair. was he hoping that she wouldn't be home?

>The second he realized that there were no hobbits in the invading army, his gaze should be straight back on the entrance to Mount Doom.
Good thing there were 2 hobbits in the invading army, then?

It's a while since I've read the books, but Elrond and Cirdan encouraged him to destroy it, didn't they? Isildur had his whole line of "I will risk no hurt to this thing". So, whilst he may not have dramatically refused at Mt Doom, he still would have had to reject the option.

Fuck you're right. I genuinely didn't remember that.

Gil Galad was ded. Died with Elendil.

What do you want us to tell you user?

Does it sadden anyone else thst the books take place when Middle Earth is in decline? All the great leaders and wondruous things and huge wars have already taken place.

>Isn't it sad that the past has already happened.

But user, the future is unwritten.

The future is only a void rushing towards us

seeing middle earth as it is during lord of the rings just makes reading the silmarillion that much better