Are millennials the dumbest generation in history?

>be me one hour ago
>be professor at an American uni
>my course has to do with communication sociology
>currently discussing the dangers of “political correctness”
>play bm_s3_01.avi to the class as a trigger for discussion
>mfw 90% of the class is unable to follow the basic plot of the episode
>mfw only 1 student got that the people in the episode where all using lenses and Augmented Reality software
>mfw most of the students were busy checking Instagram during the key parts of the episode
>mfw I can’t even discuss the episode with the class... not because they thought it was shit, but because literally 90% of my students were cognitively unable to follow the basic plot

Forget about cinematic subtleties, like the episode’s false ending when Mommyfu is watching the world without the lenses for the first time in years and sees the beauty of reality in dust particles. Forget about discussing the influence of technology in our cognitive and social behavior. Hell, forget about the whole in-your-face anti-political correctness message. Oh, being critical with the episode’s symbology or even overall quality? That’s far out the picture for this people.

Nosedive is not amongst the best or more intelligent BM episodes, btw. So…

Is American youth basically retarded?

Is Black Mirror exclusively for high IQ people?

do you teach special needs kids op?

She was so superthicchot in this one.

HNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNG

pls post that webm of auntie getting BLACKED

you just got shit luck with your students. 90% is too much, should be closer to 80%.

>be me one hour ago
>student at American Uni.
>why'd I sign up for an 8 AM class
>professor pulls up Netflix
>tfw paying 10k a semester to watch Netflix
>realize I don't exist because OP is a lying faggot.

>american intellectuals

>class on a holiday

20-year old future journalists and educators, mostly. This course is making me resent young people. Some of them are so fucking dim it's unbelievable. If this is a true sample of the country's youth... we're going down, fast.

>during the key parts of the episode

So, just at the ending?

>Jimmy Nutron

webm pls

I feel ya, when I was high school one of my english teachers played dr. strangelove for the class to illustrate satire and we didn't finish it because people were literally complaining that they didn't understand the film.

>americans
>being taught to view intelligence as a desirable quality

Ayo teech, make me a fake transcript

>things that happened
>this
Pick one

You are educating in a low-status low-effort field. Don't blame us that Humanities have become a magnet to pseudo-intellectual hipsters. The smart ones went to STEM, Medicine or Economics. Maybe your field was different in your youth?

>future journalists

explains the state of current journalism

It's not that they're stupid. I wish it were that simple. It's that they just don't care. And why should they? Kids in the US aren't taught to respect authority anymore (I believe teachers fall into this category) so they don't give a shit when you're trying to teach a class or trying to get them to learn something. They also aren't taught basic manners either, so they're likely to say fuck you right to your face if you try to make them do anything and they get irritated. American children and young adults are generally scumbags.

This is assuming your story is true.

I think 18-21 is too young for college/university. Young people should have to work for a couple if years before choosing whether they would like to enrol in higher education.

I know for a fact that if I were to have gone to uni a few years after I did I would have chosen a completely different subject and probably would have taken it mire seriously.

It's so uncomfortable seeing her in that padded push up bra knowing full well her tits are actually pretty small. She doesn't need big tits to be hot.

Not everyone is a red goddess.

>"uni"
>Sociology

Here's the thing you dumb English cunt. Humanities is where all the idiots end up. There are almost no barriers to entry or developed skills needed for those fields. I doubt you could hack it in a single engineering, computer science, or finance class.

This picture is proof BDH is the superior redhead.

You realize that the mindset of 90% of college students is that they're literally just trying to get a degree and really don't care otherwise. Turning on a movie is what makes them think "goddamit I should have skipped today none of this is going to be on the exam time to zone out for fifty minutes and browse reddit"

If you're going to play anything in class you have to tell folks "this will be on the exam" first or play something incredibly simple that requires little thought.

Of course, I factor that. But back in my day (I'm 36) a high percentage of students would still be intellectually interested in the subject, they would be there genuinely trying to learn or to prove that they were able to think. Even when the lectures were apparently boring. This does not exist anymore and is turning me into one of my jaded colleagues.

I wouldn't use the word smart, only that the lazy ones who haven't had the balls to ever try anything in their lives. They have seen their first math problem, could not solve it (perfectly normal) but didn't have the balls to try again until they got it right, instead deemed they're not mathematically talented and went to these fields. If only these people could understand that it's not that they are not capable of working hard, it's that they have never tried to work hard and learning discipline is a progress that takes years. So they go to op's field of studies and don't even try to follow because they haven't worked ever in their lives nor do they believe they are capable of.

She was so perfect in this episode. Shame she lost the weight.

Yea i can confirm.

>Questioning or criticizing media/authority is now racist.
>All conservative views are considered hateful and wrong.
>Christianity is the devil, judaism and islam are wonderful diversity and if u dont agree u are hitler.
>Omg refugees and immigrants are little brown angels every single one, fucking white males should support them with special taxes
>Wtf student loan is huge, why dont the fucking government give me a job? Help me Bernie Sanders! College should be free retroactively!! The 1% should pay!!

This is is what every fucking uni is like even the most prestigious. Cambridge and Oxford are literally tumblr on earth now.

They will become the goodest goyin you've ever seen. Maybe they'll wise up in 10 years of real life smacking them around, but by then they'll have voted for the furthest lefty party two mandate periods in a row which is enough to ruin a country in these troubled times.

>be me
Back to 9gag.

Black Mirror is for Reddit kids who think they're somehow superior. Charlie Brooker is a hack with no original ideas other than DUDE TECHNOLOGY LMAO despite the fact he's just as bad as the people he criticises.

The problem might be that university is so watered down pc-shit that nobody takes it seriously anymore. People have learned that the truly intellectually challenging stuff is on internet and universities have been dragging behind for years thanks to political correctness.

>thread starts with "be me"
>unironically pretends to not only be a teacher, but try to establish he's a "cool, hip smart one" who watches "ground breaking television drama" on Netflix

Damn that's sad dude

>Is American youth basically retarded?
Yes, yes they are.

No one is at college to learn. They are at college to get a piece of paper that gets them a job. WHo gives a fuck about anything besides the money and expecting students to do a bunch of free thought is retarded.
Do you job, pass everyone and get that check. THen on to the next one. Literally no one cares about learning in college

You do realise that this isn't new, right? And that they all grow out of it when they actually have to work for a living?

In the seventies universities were full of Trotskyites. Notice how many years later we're not all gommies. People have untenable views until they get to a stage where they have to apply them.

>claims to be intelligent
>unironically uses the term "millennials"

I don't know why you came to Sup Forums for a "better" response

I'm honestly shocked at the level of idiocy you see in threads of popular shows. like the walking dead, game of thrones, black mirror and many, many others

ranging from

>missing dialogue that explains things
>missing obvious visual queues that explain things
>completely misunderstanding the plot
>inability to alter thinking to allow for "sci-fi" or "fantasy"

I don't even bother joining in discussion on Sup Forums for the majority of the topics anymore, especially when 70%~ of the posters are in arguments / discussions with each other about completely wrong and moot points of the piece

I'm not gonna lie, you're teaching undergraduates at an american uni, this class is probably freshman/sophomore level from what you described, so what did you expect?

No seriously, what did you expect?

Undergraduate College experience is just High School 2.0 only with consequences for making too many Ds/Fs. Your dean won't permit you to fail more than 10% of the class, so on average, the student's aren't gonna give a fuck. There's no chance of real failure because EVERYONE has to get a college degree today in order to have a modest lifestyle. Your job is to spend 3 hours a week reviewing material they are just gonna cram in on the last test and final, and to ensure that tests are administered and graded before particular dates, that's it.

If you want to actually teach shit, I recommend pushing hard to teach Graduate level courses, but other then that, you're a glorified Adult Babysitter.

I promise you that that's an illusion. As a student you'd notice when you and your peers were engaged and you wouldn't notice when you weren't engaged. As a professor it is now blatantly obvious every time when people don't care. You're going to have to take special care to actually engage your students. Ask around for the professors who aren't jaded and see what they do. It'll take a hell lot more work that wasting their time with an episode of your favorite show on netflix and some vapid discussion about how "being pc is dangerous." Like seriously man? You have a degree. Prove it to me.
>truly intellectually challenging stuff is on the internet
truly laughable

Ok but this is what every generation says about the next and it has never actually been true

>Hell, forget about the whole in-your-face anti-political correctness message
stopped reading there. your wishful thinking is too strong, Sup Forums

It shouldn't be about 'respecting authority', that's dumb as fuck
Just turn your brain off and listen to 'authority'

It should be about them realizing the privilege they have to be in a higher education course, and them not wanting to waste their parents money/ future money

Millennials are considerably smarter than the preceding generation. They are exposed to over 5 times more information than the two preceding, however that can be a detriment if that content is distracting or intellectually garbage, which often it is (NUMBER 6 WILL SHOCK YOU!).
Probably a combination of low effort and not being attentive

Journalists lmao

They're stupid as fuck, only good for fucking

This

>Just turn your brain off and listen to authority

What?

I hope so. Being conservative at a university these days is like being openly gay in saudiarabia

>when ur weird prof says shit like "mommyfu"

>tfw have master degree in humanities
>tfw nobody tried to stop me

You were murdered? Ghosts aren't allowed on Sup Forums OP. Not after what happened last year...

I am saying that the concept of authority and respecting it is for dumb people
It shows a lack of critical thinking

People should not do things because authority dictates them to
People should do things because they realize and understand that it is the best thing for them to do, which will sometimes align with authority

You type worse than the most retarded millennial you seem to belittle. This is false flagging, right?

you seem upset, would you like to talk about it after you got me a mocha latte?

>autismo plays some retarded episode of a random show
>nobody cares
>autismo wonders if everyone is retarded
You are the retard man, you aren't even able to function properly in a social context, you fail at the most basic part of human behavior

>It's a Teach comes in at 8am with one of the shittest ploy of all time
>Watch a movie while I cure my hangover

OP is a fkin faggot.

Maybe they're disapointed that your idea of a class is watching TV shows and they're the ones who think you're retarded

This time it's more partially true that it has ever been. It's not exactly dramatic but it really shows in a lot of the social realities of today. My bet is that the next one will be less retarded and none of this will matter.

Take your disgusting fetish elsewhere

Except it's not
Literally every generation has thought this
Don't get all high and mighty thinking "Since I feel this way suddenly it's valid!"
what's your "social realities" that show it?
and don't just say
>people's ideals are different than mine D;

Confirmed, if the story actually took place, that the students were mocking the fuck out of him the moment he pulled the episode on.

>Can you believe this faggot is paid to make us watch his shitty series
>What a dumb cunt

>>mfw most of the students were busy checking Instagram during the key parts of the episode

Is this irony? Either way it's fucking beautiful, literally that episode but in real life. I hope you pointed that out to the class.

I honestly agree that this should be more of a standard path.

Every generation has thought this, too.

I want to fuck a journalist now.

You disgusting cockroaches need to fuck off.

They certainly made of him, they just did after they left the classroom
In majors like that teachers are totally allowed to do biased grading so noone makes fun of a professor in front of their face

>university
>2016

You're most likely not a millennial but a generation z faggot.

>go to class at 8
>teacher puts on some overrated tv show
>immediately realize that he isn't a real professor and this isn't a real class
>treat it as a relaxation hour
What did you expect? Only joke classes play videos instead of teaching. It's disapointing to be quite honest.

>The smart ones went to STEM, Medicine or Economics
The M in STEM stands for Medicine you muppet.

Also if economics was a real science it would have a real nobel prize.

What kind of uni are you at? I teach philosophy at an Ivy League (not prof, just a Phd) and the students aren't stupid at all, just indoctrinated.

Give the kid who got it an A+

Halloween is not a holiday. You only get Halloween off for school in Nevada because Nevada Day.

m is mathematics retard

>generation z faggot.

You think 16 year olds are professors?

Economics is the stepping stone into finances which I would say is a wise choice if you want to get into investment banking/making some real dosh

>future journalists
wife used to work business reference desk at uni and said these are the laziest fuckers bar none and I haven't seen evidence to the contrary in television or print news since then

Students always have been and will be indoctrinated
it's a feature of society
it's just that they're sometimes indoctrinated by different things.

>>currently discussing the dangers of “political correctness”
what dangers would they be

It's a university. Professors can cancel class anytime they so please. Why hold a class if you nor your students are even going to bother?
(really it's the morning after a holiday you should be cancelling)

>Millennials are considerably smarter than the preceding generation
this is bait

>be me
>be a human
>watch this episode of Black Mirror
>not understand it
>a hurddurr if you don't understand it you must not have been paying attention!!!!

maybe next time pick a better episode you KEK

>someone wanted to report the evil muzzies that shot up that one school once but didn't beecause they didn't want to be called racist
is the one I always hear. It's really shitty tho.
1. That's their fault for not reporting not "pc culture"
2. They didn't actually have any reason to believe these were criminals. They were just lucky racists

There's really nothing else on the matter that says "pc" is bad besides some crying bitches who get their feelings hurt about "muh free speech" because they can't say nigger faggot in public.

>t should be about them realizing the privilege they have to be in a higher education course
>privilege
The people you're talking about have such a horribly distorted perception of what that word means they'd have no clue what the fuck you're even talking about when you use it that way.

It's Halloween right now you fucking moron. The Halloween parties won't be until later, so if it's a morning class and the holiday doesn't really kick off till later, why would he cancel the morning class?

What philosophy are you doing?
>mustard race reportin

Sure, I guess that's what I was getting at. Some of the students, even freshman, I can tell are smarter than me, but when they are so young it's like none of their ideas are really their own.

I heard about someone who had a PhD in Women's Studies.

Really made me feel better about spending my whole adult life on the dole.

Are you under 35?

did you even read my whole post you simpleton?

pls consider suicide

>People should do things because they realize and understand that it is the best thing for them to do, which will sometimes align with authority
But what if they're fucking morons who are incapable of realizing and understanding those things?

Phil Mind, Moral Psych, Value Theory, some interdisciplinary stuff with neuroscience (especially re: perception)and cognitive science.

>inb4 hurry sure shoulda done STEM
I get payed decently to do a job that I love, which requires very little of me (3hr/ week), and gives me massive holiday time (over 4 months)

You sound like a real shit professor, showing TV shows instead of teaching. I'd be pissed if I waste my tuition on a professor as trash as you.

>>be me
Jesus, what year do you think it is, 2010?

>visual queues
>queues
You forgot basic spelling errors.
lmfao at these plebs amirite

Yeah you idiot
>(really it's the morning after a holiday you should be cancelling)

It's not the morning after a holiday you dumb fucking cuckstain

It is? Fuck.

Fair dues I just love to bring up the fact it's got a phoney nobel prize every opportunity I get, it's so fucking funny.

As long as they can take a nice dicking by monstrous schlong they are all good 2bh nothing more is asked for them. Today's generation is about being served everything down their harch

In an academic environment, it prevents certain topics from being discussed properly. Particularly when you have to discuss different cultures and values, even scientific facts. In journalism it's key when discussing certain topics: how to address Female Genital Mutilation without "offending" anyone? It's just not possible.