"I was suicidal and listening (insert dark and depressing music) honestly saved my life!"

>"I was suicidal and listening (insert dark and depressing music) honestly saved my life!"

how does this work?

It can show you that there are people suffering along with you, or that you comparatively don't have it as bad as some others do.
Mark's music especially is like a guy that says "I get it" if you're suffering from some sort of mental illness

Maybe some people are unhappier than you and all they can relate to is misery when society, family, friends ostracize them, how bow dat?

Catharsis

it doesn't

have you ever heard someone actually say this

feeling feelings > killing feelings

Who's Mark? How do I into Mark?

listening to that music only reminds me how deep the rabbit hole goes and really makes me want to end it. I'm surprised some of these people producing this music are still alive, let alone writing it in the first place

I think I would have at least attempted suicide if It's All Over Now Baby Blue hadn't made me realise I was psychotic and seek help.

you must be under a rock grandpa

Merely observing your feelings dispassionately is enlightenment

>he hasn't taken the trontpill yet

Life sucks, but it does get better if you don't let yourself slip away.

>he resigns to buddhist thought instead of taoist

but i am that person, and while listening to dark music is a trip, it definitely wont be the thing getting me out of this hole, and really isn't as good for you as it was for the artist getting it out probably

how does someone's life get saved listening to Becoming?

Then listen to music with DA PUMP.

Music that has DA PUMP:

Ludvig Van Beethoven (lively works)
Disco
Funk
Acid House
African Electronic Music
Big Beat
Breakbeat
Dubstep (US)
EBM
Electro
Electro Swing
Footwork/Juke
Goa Trance/Psy Trance
House
Industrial Techno
Old School Hardcore Rave/Breakbeat Hardcore (yes, it's still being made in one form or another)
Drum And Bass
Progressive House
Techno (depends if it gets you PUMPed or not)
Trance
Hip-Hop (depends if it's lively or not, no boring shit)
Industrial (some of the livelier stuff)
Loungecore/Easy Listening (if it's happy and lively)
Metal (lively, no slow shit)
Pop (lively)
Punk
Rock (lively)
Gabba
Hardcore Punk
Hardcore (no breaks)
Acid Breakbeat
Hardcore Terror
Frenchcore
Italo-Disco
Nu Disco

you just type all that?

Also add Grimes to the list, her music unironically helped me through deep depression

by listening to The Becoming instead of the noise inside their heads.

I've always found that acoustic outro to be pretty upbeat too, tbqh

If I'm depressed and put on dark, depressing music I'm just wallowing in my own shit by that point.

No one says that OP.

I had it ready in notepad, but it is my well-tested list.

>I've always found that acoustic outro to be pretty upbeat too

not in the context of the song. It makes it disgusting and extremely nihilistic. Like losing faith in humanity nihilistic

why? Because they want to keep lying to themselves so they can be part of this club/cult that says things like that?

This, though it's more often a mellow source of comfort than some kind of life-saver. Not to be a dick, but if some kind of art "saves you from suicide", you likely weren't that close to offing yourself in thr first place.

Because you find solace in the fact that someone went through the same struggle you are. Pretty obvious duh.

this is a classic one. I dont want to try to get in the headspace that Elliott was in if I'm prone to slipping. How does one figure that?

Mark Kozelek
If you're sad start with Red House Painters and if you're just kinda mellow start with Sun Kil Moon

his self-titled helped me through depression, even though it's considered the darkest album he's written

Trips dubs speaks the truth. Needle in the Hay is a classic

Suicidal tendencies often spire out of the ennui and derealization that go with depression as much as the actual "depressing" part. The intense catharsis and general induced passion can really revitalize a person, despite the subject matter being grim. For depressed people, the topics capable of producing an emotional response are of course the relatable, and therefore usually dark and dismal topics

back when I was depressed I didn't really want to listen to music at all, listening to happy stuff felt too jarring for me too enjoy and listening to sad stuff just made me feel more sad.

when i was at the lowest point of my life at 19 i listened to Mellon Collie nonstop, particularly the stuff like Ruby and We Only come out at Night. But I dont know if that's depressing or comforting music...

Marky Mark and the Funky Bunch?

misery loves company

Hank Williams Sr. While downing a bottle of Jack Daniels