ITT: Artists you got really into and then grew out of quickly

ITT: Artists you got really into and then grew out of quickly

Was convinced The Queen is Dead was the best album i'd ever heard for like two weeks, then they suddenly became annoying af

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=IKmPci5VXz0
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Sonic Youth. They're one of few bands I just can't go back to.

I still think they were superb, but The Queen is Dead is their worst album. Meat is Murder or Strangeways Here We Come are far superior. Critics' preference for TQiD over MiM was a baleful augury of the future, particularly in Britain - it sounds like a holding pattern, a stepping back into professionalism after the musical risks of the previous album. You can hear them thinking "Oh, that's what you want, eh? OK, here it is". Strangeways is a return to moving forward, much better.

I listened to all their stuff (or most of it i think) when I went through that phase. Morrisey just kills it for me, both his voice and lyrics are a huuge turn off. I will admit that Johnny Marr is phenomenal though

bjork

I listened mainly for Morrissey. Marr's okay but he's sort of glib. It makes sense that he's now basically an overrated session musician.

Honeyblood. I immediately loved them then grew out of them over the course of listening to one album

mac demarco, he doesn't try anything new ever. Which is fine if it has staying power, but the jangle pop gets headache inducing pretty quickly.

Mac Demarco

You gotta be honest, all of his songs sound like photocopies of each other. Great for chilling nothing more to me.

we should bang

marr is a genius you nigger

his music sucks now but he wrote most of the smiths' best songs in an hour sitting in the back of a van or on a staircase somewhere

Shut up newfag.

>newfag
i wish, god damn.

IF YOU WERE AN OLDFAG YOU WOULDN'T STILL BE HERE

oh my, he's so preciously oblivious. Turn back now newfriend before its too late.

>gets called out for being a newfag
>uses the phrase "newfriend"

I remember when Reddit invaded and tried to make this place politically correct. "normie" "newfriend" etc.

Is b8? Newfreind is the result of a word filter

oooooo handsome maaan ooooo in this broken down dull town oooo handsome man ahhhhh to be lovers entwined is such a sordid curse oooohhh such a handsome man *jangly guitar lead*

Don't lie to yourself, you thought they were obscure as fuck and when you found out they were popular, you dropped them. I hate the diehard fans, but I do love their music. Stop trying too hard to fit in

Lol this newfriend doesn't know that it was actually formed in the mess that was canv.as, since it was a SFW site.

Not really my dude, pretty sure I found them through the Rolling Stones best albums of all time. So I knew they were considered classic. Their music is really just fucking annoying

Morrisseys pretentious fatalism and 'woe is me' attitude gets tiresome after a few months of listening. Marr's guitar riffs have more staying power than the psuedo intellectual poetry Moz exudes. The Smiths as a whole are a thing of the past. They were a great band, and that's it.

>not one mention of their s/t

It's their true best, you pleb.

Well he doesn't for me, and I don't find him pretentious - a lot of it is camp humour. The problem with their music, as I've said before on here, is that it so often sounds like it comes from a jar that has the lid screwed back onto it once Morrissey runs out of words. Morrissey has gone on to have basically the career he would have had anyway, but in a band called "Morrissey", and Marr has gone on to be a guy who does interviews for old farts' music glossies.

I like it a lot, but it's the first step. It's still better than TQiD though.

I just got into the Smiths (I know, really late to the party, but what ever). Is Morrissey's solo work worth checking out if I'm a fan of the Smith's sound specifically? I'm afraid that it'll be to different and I'll not like it. What genres does he dabble in?

Anyone can hire a band of trained session musicians and continue performing their vapid drivel over glossy pop music.

Artists like Marr on the other hand hone their craft and pay tribute to the greats (like Bert Jansch) not just to impress the average, typical music listener like yourself but for musicians and avid listeners alike

>t. fedora-lord

Go to bed, Johnny.

This girl. Got sort of obsessed for a couple of months, and I even saw her live and bought the album on vinyl. I got so tired of her, and I can't but blush everytime I listen to her music anywhere.

--Hey, remember when you liked Nat--
--Shut the fuck up

youtube.com/watch?v=IKmPci5VXz0

For me, probably Tune Yards

Goddamn fucking kike Ass normal fuck

He didn't write songs, he wrote music.

>for musicians and avid listeners alike

So autistic boredom junkies, then? Sounds about right.

Yeah, anyone can keep a fanbase interested for thirty years, it takes an artist to turn youthful potential into a pile of nothing.

bmsr for me desu.

Slint

He acknowledges his own attitude, and how hypocritical he is in the music quite a bit.
I think it's part of the art, how self-destructive his mindset was, and how it contributed even worse to his life. I feel like that's a huge thing people relate to.
I think you really have to have an ill-mentality, or have had one that still affects your life, to fully appreciate him long-term.