Memes aside, there are people that ACTUALLY take this guy seriously...

Memes aside, there are people that ACTUALLY take this guy seriously. There's people out there who consider his reviews "good" If you're one of those people, how? He doesn't discuss music in any meaningful manner. When he describes music he just uses adjectives and buzzwords "slavered in reverb" "crushing distortion", he never once gives any insight into how the music is actually written. You'd think as a music critique he'd actually have some knowledge in theory, you'd think if you were to be taken seriously as a music critique you'd be able to at least identify the chord progressions, the harmonies, time signatures, rhythm structures and point out why they work with the music and set the tone.

TLDR: how can you possibly critique music without talking about the actual theory behind the music?

The words you're looking for are critic/criticize.

verb
evaluate (a theory or practice) in a detailed and analytical way.
"the authors critique the methods and practices used in the research"

try again

He's an example of a crazy college professor. He might know what he is talking about, but his opinion is completely illogical.

So who are some of the serious youtube music reviewers that we should listen to?

Still mad about the Lil Pump review are we?

that's kind of my point, i'm wondering why people even listen to music reviews. Probably because the only people who would understand are musicians, so they have to cater to the lowest common denominator. Shame, I would really like to see someone approach it from a more technical standpoint, would be pretty refreshing, if not obscure.

Because his audience isn't a bunch of insufferably pretentious tfw to intelligent nerds like you, it's average people who are looking for a general idea of how the music he's talking about sounds so they can check it out later if it seems like something that would appeal to them.

then why not just press play and skim through it takes seconds.

Are brainlets really thi-..... yeah nevermind. makes sense now

deep cuts is nice

theres theory, then theres style, a lot of his are about the style and approach of a artists in a genre. but it is just his opinion after all

The amount of music with relevant technical significance does not warrant having solely a whole niche market. Some channels already do some technical analysis of some specific things (e.g. Adam Neely did some theory analysis on vaporwave a while ago).

Most popular music is rather basic (I-IV-V, I-II-VI or some variation of those) theory-wise, and it would probably end up only reviewing niche albums and going further back the yearly catalogue to fill up the content, not to say it would take a while to do some analysis of rather complex music and nobody would be happy anyway because of nitpicky, academic bullshit no one cares about.

that's a fair point, but no one listens to music reviews for pop music.

Because nobody gives a fucking shit about any of the things you just mentioned unless its something incredibly unique and groundbreaking which a lot of shit really isn't. Most great albums are great in ways that really go beyond words so fantano just does his best to describe what makes them great in his own way.

I lost my respect to him when he said that Justice's album Woman was not a good album because they used Daft-punkish vocals.

He clearly didnt listen to the other albums, like, check Dance for the love of god

>critiques one bad album
>has to listen to past albums to like this album
>this album is good

Not really sure of what your ideal criteria are for a 'good' music review. This isn't something directly towards Fantano,You just don't like what people focus on while 'reviewing' music.
Do you have any idea of how absolutely boring it would be if it were a video of some guy "identifying the chord progressions, the harmonies, time signatures, rhythm structures and point out why they work with the music"?
>Uhh, so the next song is in 7/8, which is a really bizarre choice for a rock song, and seems to elevate the disjointed, jarring feeling I got from the other strange time signature songs
People talking about things they notice, you fool. Very little of music appreciation has to do with recognizing theory, and actually the magic happens. when you can't recognize the theory at all

Don't get me wrong, Fantano is already uninteresting, but so is every other music review trying to convince me of a subjective opinion according to what good words they thought of in describing the music. i could just fucking listen to it. Stop paying attention to 'tastemakers' and do something better with your time

>serious
>youtube

>pretentious

I don't take him seriously but I like the way he articulates his language and the shit he says can be funny sometimes

i miss the meme reviews :(

I stopped watching his reviews, mostly cause I'd rather just enjoy the album myself. Sometimes though, I go and watch reviews of albums I already know really well and have my own opinion on.

I really enjoyed his content on thatistheplan, and overall I think he's a really genuine and cool guy. I like how he's vegan, I have a lot of respect for him because of that.

He's cool and I think his reviews are fine who gives a fuck

>gave the lil pump album a 7/10

I don't think anyone will take him seriously after this.