First they automate the check-out lanes, and now this???

First they automate the check-out lanes, and now this???

The shopping carts automatically lock if you try to leave with Walmart's carts.

This can't be real...

When i i was like4 years old i rember a Kohls having the same kind of carts so this has been going on for like 15 or 16 years OP

These have existed for years

Also as someone who used too work for a store (we can call it smallgreens) grocery carts are really expensive. Like over 500 dollars each if theyre all metal

Dude, we've had these for like 10 years where I live.

and they work. I work at a wallmart, and the carts require a big box like thing, that has an unlock on it to move them. We run out of C batteries so fast.

Sometimes they just post those to scare people from stealing their carts.

I've seen them at my walmart, but I think my store doesn't do maintenance on the system.

I've tested it out with a cart and it doesn't work.

So maybe they had it in the past, stopped using the system, then kept the signs up.

What happens when a cart gets damaged?

How do you fix them?

yeah prolly true

Ever see a cart in a store with like 3 fucking broken wheels that wont turn and squeeks like crazy? Thats because we cant fix them and they cost 500 to replace. Sucks dick. Everyone once in awhile (like years) your store might get a new cart or 2 and then you take some of your really bad ones out of use. Also just a thing about small greens. While employed there i was instruxted on a regular basis to throw out Bottle returns from customers

It only locks if you try to take it beyond the parking lot (off the property). Sounds like the only people who are inconvenienced by this are homeless bums who steal them. Are you a homeless?

I know for a fact the places I've worked that have the signs work. Since I had to fucking fix them when idiots get them stuck int he middle of the road trying to take them.

OP is posting from a library hes probably busy washing himself in water fountain getting ready to push the old cart down to the soup kitchen

This has always been the case for shopping carts in England, stop whining

The other day I saw a walmart employee pulling carts out of the ditch by the bus stop.
What a fucking load of useless cunts. That's theft.
Gas the undesireables. If you can't bring yourself up to the morals and ethics of your nations cultural ancestors, then you aren't wanted, or needed here.
Either live like a moral white, or get gassed. I'm tired of these degenerates.

dude this shit has been around for a decade

i have a brand new shopping cart in my backyard

Oh, fuck, Ricky, what the fuck am I going to do to feed my fucking kittens now?

how are us niggers supposed to get our shopping home?

just lay out a bit of aluminum foil
the wheels are smart and have a battery and whatnot in there, on lock signal reception they lock.
rf won't pass through metal sheet
no reception, no lock.

Nigger, first off, it's called shoplifting, not shopping.
Second, just put it in the basket of the girl's bike you stole, jeez.

This

>underrated

Seems like a lot of effort to steal something that has no resale value.

Wheels get damaged to a point of beyond repair?

Throw out the cart

Thank niggers and bums for this op. 20 year old technology ay least. Shopping carts are $250-$550 each and stores were sick of people walking off with them. Pretty sure i just got teilled but w/e.

it's lowlife to even think about stealing a cart
so why not ramp it up?

this. on a related note, I was watching that cooking show chopped and a black woman lost in the first round, she got mad and was like "what am I supposed to tell my kids, man!?!?!"

Am I missing something here? Why would you care about this at all? What does it have to do with automated check out lanes and who cares about that either?

these has been around since 10 years ago

stop being a thieving hobo

So the fuck what those things are expensive as fuck, are you retarded??

They have those here. They always lock up where they shouldn't, so the pedestrian entrance is always a maze of 8-9 locked carts

>What does it have to do with automated check out lanes and who cares about that either?
Automation is seen as a threat to the riff raff who do these jobs that will soon be filled by computers. My guess is OP is one such regard upset about computers takin his jerb.

Okay, but whose job is being taken away because of the carts? Was there someone who used to chase people outside the stores property to fight them and bring it back? I don't get how these two things are related.

self checkouts arent automation. they would be automation if they rang up and bagged the groceries without doing anything. self checkouts are just having the customers do the work for free.

Not that I know how these exactly work, but I'd design them so they only unlock in the right condition and are normally locked. That means full batteries, signal received, tamper switch inactive and assigned a certain identifier so you cannot take it to another Walmart.
t. mech engineer

OP of this post here, it's actually simpler:
youtu.be/PWZOeM5jdjg
Aluminium foil might work after all

>self checkouts are just having the customers do the work for free.
Customers tend to move through self checkouts faster than manned checkouts so the benefits are obvious.

because they are used for less than 15 items. whatever your opinion of them is, calling them automation is simply inaccurate.

I'm sorry if my inaccurate terminology offends your delicate sensitivities. Ive never seen any self checkout that had a limit on the number of items. I usually go through them with a weeks worth of groceries and nobody has ever stopped me. Most people would prefer to do it themselves and be out faster than wait longer for some old person to check them out slowly.

you didnt offend me, this is a thread about automation.