What is the film equivalent of fedoratipping ?

What is the film equivalent of fedoratipping ?

Religulous

/thread

Misogyny

Fight Club.

before the flood

Are you talking about a movie, or an action while watching a movie?

I'd say, "sneakily" checking your iphone in a theater is about the most fedora thing you can do. It's so goddamn obvious and people that do it think that no one else can see the beacon of gondor that just lit up beneath their chin.

a shot of running water without much other sound
I love them, though

Liking any of these.

nu-male

V for Vendetta?
The Matrix I guess.

Guilty of doing this, I don't see the fedora-connection though, sometimes you just want to know how much is left of the movie.

Nice LotR-reference btw.

>Liking Kubrick is "fedoratipping"
Why is this board so blatantly retarded about good directors? Jesus fuck.

Can I enjoy this without being virtue signaled by some retard as a fedora? Because it is a pretty fun flick.

Literally nothing.

Just enjoy whatever movie you enjoy, you don't need Sup Forums to justify your tastes unless you are a pathetic faggot who can't formulate his own opinions. You can justify liking any form of art if you have a working brain.

Dutch angles

But young people who just got into film think he's great, the bes there is, when there are many directors better than him. He's like babby's first director. And people can think liking him means they have some elevated taste in film, when he's really more a middlebrow great.

>people who just got into film think he's great
Because he is.
>when there are many directors better than him
Sure, but that doesn't make him any less great.
>He's like babby's first director
You've been on Sup Forums too much, lad. There is a very legit reason his films are studied in schools around the globe. Being contrarian for the sake of it is cancer.
>when he's really more a middlebrow great
keep telling yourself that, kiddo

You sir are no Stanley Kubrick!

Idiocracy

Bridman

Birdman is great you fucking tard.

Birdman*

Playing upbeat music when people are getting killed in a montage

Name five movies where this happens that you have seen...

There are bad dutch angles that are cliche that are fedora tipping. Like TFA dutch angles. But there are plenty that are used well. And used very well

no it isnt you enormous hack apologist

inarritu isnt great, you swine.

Kubrick is very self conscious, he's got lots of "structure" and metaphor and so on... But just having structure and metaphor doesn't make a great film, in my view. I've probably seen fewer Kubrick films than most everyone on this board, though from all his periods, but every one I have seen (possibly excepting the early and somewhat anomalous "Killer's Kiss") had what I would call a lack of visual structure. There are lots of ideas, and lots of visual tricks, but the spatial architecture, which in what I would call a great film consists of the way lines and surfaces and angles and light and movement combine to create the meaningful visual expression that I find in Ford and Hithcocck and Rossellini and Bresson and Brakhage and Kubelka, is lacking. His films have for me a curious visual "emptiness," a feeling that the imagery is a kind of vacant vessel for styliswtic and thematic and plot flourishes ("redrum" and all that), and this is true from me from "The Killing" to "Full Metal Jacket" to "Eyes Wide Shut, to choose three I've seen in recent years. Their hollow core suggests "A. I." (which I also disliked) as his perfect subject, I suppose, as was HAL, but he doesn't do enough with that hollowness in his own films to make it an expression in itself.

As a war movie, "Full Metal Jacket" seemed rather predictable too -- I just *knew* it was the African-American who would get killed

1/10 made me respond

I wonder what film forum you copy-pasted this from.

>WAHHHH
>Sup Forums TOLD ME IT A BAD FLICK
>SQUAK PARROTING Sup Forums
>SQUAKK!!!

>Pretending to actually sound smart while saying absolutely nothing of real substance.

Euphoric tipping: the movie

What would it matter? It's from the a_film_by yahoo group and the author is Fred Camper. Is that going to disprove what he says?

He's saying a lot there, about aesthetics as they relate to film. Your reading comprehension is at fault here, not the text.

>Is that going to disprove what he says?
First off, you can't "disprove" a fucking opinion you dolt. Secondly, I would like YOUR opinion, not someone else's you stupid faggot.
>Your reading comprehension is at fault here, not the text.
No you pseudo-intellectual, it's a lot of fluff and pretending to say things. It's not actually intelligent, or even that user's actual opinion anyway. It's a copypasta.

The trick to being actually smart is to identify things that are faux intellectual bullshit designed to sound superior. This is one of them. The fact that you didn't pick up on that, says a lot.

>Sup Forums told me
I made up my own opinions when i watched it like everything. Nice try. Birdman is birdshit

KEK

>I made up my own opinions
Sure you did.

Please explain to me why you thought it was shit.

Any scene not by Hitchcock where the camera zooms in while being rolled back.

I unironically like Birdman, you contrarians are so wrapped up in your meme that you forgot that there are positive criticisms that exist for Birdman.

>It's fedora to like Birdman
This board has always been shit.

>He's saying a lot there, about aesthetics as they relate to film
Maybe if you are retarded enough to fall for that, sure.

>the butthurt in this whole thread
Interstellar is the flick.

>its good because it won best picture
You have to go back

I never once mentioned how it won Best Picture. It's still a good film though. Don't worry user, you grow out of being a contrarian once you hit puberty and can formulate actual opinions about things.
>DUR ITS GOOD BECAUSE ITS POPULAR

I'm not the one who has to go back.

>American Sniper

>His picture is Perfect Cell

I posted it because I agree with it. You can't disprove an opinion, I agree, that was a poor word choice. I mean it's not going to change the content of the text. Thanks for calling me a stupid faggot over it, though.

I've read as many of Fred Camper's writings as I've been able to find and this is his genuine views about film aesthetics and has been consistent throughout everything I've seen from him. He doesn't come off as a faux-intellectual trying to sound superior to me but his having a different view of film than most people might make them feel threatened by and dismissive of his writings, I understand.

Anything that Wes Anderson does

Good thing you're here to point it out and steer me clear. Thanks, user!

>He's watched three of Kubrick's worst films
>Man, he's so insightful

>The trick to being actually smart
It's not a 'trick' to be smart. You're either smart or you aren't.

>is to identify things that are faux intellectual bullshit designed to sound superior. This is one of them. The fact that you didn't pick up on that, says a lot.
It's a fucking opinion about fucking movies. Who the fuck cares? Aesthetic taste isn't some sort of measure of intelligence, you dope. It's something organic and not easily quantified. Are you really that threatened by a dissenting view?

>It's not a 'trick' to be smart. You're either smart or you aren't.
you aren't smart through osmosis.
>Are you really that threatened by a dissenting view?
No, but all of this is just part of your pretext of being a contrarian who was told that it's edgy to hate on Kubrick because you get your confirmation from literal children.

>We have been sent instructions for a gigantic device that we have limited knowledge as to what it will do
>Let's build it and have its first operation be manned