Another fucking sci-fi show that pushes stupid agenda. ''Humans aren't meant to live forever"...

Another fucking sci-fi show that pushes stupid agenda. ''Humans aren't meant to live forever", "Death is part of being human". What the hell. And it isn't the first sci-fi show to do that. Where did this bullshit idea come from? With the advances in science, we will eventually reach the stage when humans embrace immortality (or insanely long lifespan) anyway.

population control

>Retarded OP the thread

You stupid nigger.

Heil Hitler

>Humans aren't meant to live forever is an agenda
Look up entropy. It's currently what is happening to your brain.

There are some simple reasons why humans cannot live forever, but i like arguments about this so let's do this.

The limiting factor is cell decay which is mostly enforced through detoriation of cells by background radiation.
Radiation is everywhere, you can't get rid of it - there is simply no way. The only way to enforce replication is in order to replace parts of the human with repairable parts which leads us to some important problems:

1) If we actually managed to correctly read out a brain of a human and managed to programm a computer with all information successfully replicating the mind of the original human did we create a new person ("dublicate the soul"), how are the two existing persons different from one another?
2) If we had actually managed to create a repairable brain - and even an atom moves from one place to another - how are we supposed to know if that was a natural process or a process of decay? If all such movements were reversed new information will get lost.

Great show, you are fucking retarded

you have better things to do with your time than paying attention to anything happening in "Hollywood"

what happens there bears no relation to real life, and the people who make it tick are less than human, and unworthy of your attention.

move on.

what if there's an advanced form of cancer that infinitely produces stem cells in the body.
And chemotherapy became advanced enough that you just have to keep a defibrillator type device inside yourself to control it.

The cycle of cell destruction and regrowth within ourselves will continue on indefinitely . No need for computer/soul shit.

>philosophical, ethical and political debates are unworthy of your attention
Maximum pleb detected, i bet you unironically watch cartoons.

There's no reason to live more years if we can't get a quality in those years.
I don't want to live 120 years if I need to spend half of them like an old man.
They could be happier if I live 70 feeling like 25-30.

calm down kid, until we can advance into space we dont need to live forever. but also if we start to live forever we stop evolving, in a manner of speaking, and thus we filter our own evolution

You realize this show is based on an award wining book series right?

Go read the books, far superior.

Our cells heal. At some point in our lives they stop, not because of radiation. There is a chemical we produce that keeps us "young" that some people have been trying to figure out how to artificially reproduce. But they've been working on that for over 40 years now. Not sure if they'll ever succeed

"Tampering in things Man was not meant to know" is one of the oldest scifi tropes there is, going back to at least "Frankenstein," and arguably to Icarus flying too close to the sun.

So that's here it came from.

I thought the show was great so far. Netflix has a habit of releasing absolute shit films, shows and crap they buy from other crap writers. So for them to finally put out a good sci fi show with a good story, good writing, good scenery and nice visuals is great. I don't pay for my Netflix account but if I did i'd finally feel the 7 bucks was worth paying this month.

Stem cells aren't as cool as you think they are and can't fix the obvious problems inside of a brain.
While they can replicate cells the infected cells are lost, tumors have to have a certain size to be detected therefore each time you'd do this you'd lose a portion of memories. Also the older you'd get the more this process would speed up due to old genetics which are more prone to errors. There's no way a sane human could make it to 200 years of age this way.
Robotics are a more secure way to conserve a copy of a conciousness.

It's not chemical it's biological. Your DNA has zip like things called telemeres at the top of each strand. When the zip fucks up then your cells degrade, it's just aging on a cellular level. What they're trying to do is stop the telemeres from degrading and unzipping, but currently after x amount of generations they fuck up, and just like a coat with a busted zip they don't function fully.

Well but you do understand that mutations happen somewhat regularly adding up for a life time ending up with shitty dna when you're old. This is the reason old people are more likely to get cancer (besides obvious things like smoking).
BUT the faster the cells reproduce, the more severe cancer is, which is why it's so incredibly deadly in young people. If you'd just speed up the cell reproduction in old people you'd make humans big fucking lumps of cancers. This isn't a good idea without dealing with the damage to the dna.

Why do you want that?

The thing is, that "mortality gives life meaning" or "death is part of being human" attitude wasn't present in the novel the television series is based on.

Same shit happened to the live action adaptation of GitS, which is remarkable, since the original Ghost in the Shell narrative was one of the more interesting science fiction takes on identity / psychological continuity.

I hope the author got lots of money, because they literally shat on his book and put it on Netflix.

I think it's a part of the consumer culture, which is part of the global zionist jewish propaganda and agenda. Consume, consume and die. Breed more costumers, breed, intermix, and let everyone be customers.

Buy, pay, and die.
Who would want non-hungry, non-consuming masses of people? You can't sell products to those who've seen everything.
Something along these lines.

So you're saying that the promise for "eternal life" wouldn't move BIIIG fucking masses of money?
Doesn't seem reasonable. Also - not everything is a jewish world conspiracy, maybe it's just people trying to convince themselves that they're fine with the fact that they'll die at some point.

Cancer cells have telomerase an enzyme that inhibits the shortening of telomeres. From what I understand it's these that cause cells to degrade, I might be wrong tho. I wonder if they look at that enzyme to extend our lives since cancel cells are immortal until the host dies.

Right now I think death is the meaning of life. It's short, so you have to make it matter and make things better for the next generation so they can be a better species. We are fucking that up tho so dropping the bodies and becoming virtual beings appeals to me more. Technological evolution plan b for when you fuck up the biological.

>we will eventually reach the stage when humans embrace immortality (or insanely long lifespan) anyway
Did you ever heard about the second law of thermodynamics?Dipshit.

Why don't you explain professor? In nice simple analogies even btards can relate to.

Entropy can be stopped or reduced in finite systems, provided that the input required to do so still causes a net increase in entropy overall. You can make a human live forever, thermodynamically speaking, provided the costs in energy are high enough.

If human society lasts long enough, I have no doubt that we'll eventually reach that point. I'm more interested in the sociological impacts of this type of tech. Imagine being, say, 24 and living alongside people who look 24 and have the biology of a 24 year old but they're 6024 instead. How strange would the world be, if you lived alongside people who were anywhere from your age to 300 times your age? How would we control population size when people still have the imperative to breed but nobody dies? How would religions react to this tech, when dying and entering some type of afterlife / reincarnation / whatever is a big part of their belief system? Imagine the edge in terms of experience and knowledge that a 6000 year old person would have. Would we have a ruling class of these ancient people?