Why did nobody tell me that Spain was made up of several distinct nations with their own culture and language much like...

Why did nobody tell me that Spain was made up of several distinct nations with their own culture and language much like the UK?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=KLJt0Y6X_gs
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Everybody told you that
Also most of those are all Castille. Only ones truly different are Galicia, Basque Country, and the Catalan speaking regions

>Asturian will die in your lifetime

Also the Central and South only speak Spanish.

because anglos believe they are a mexican-ripoff with every cities called "san juan" "san maria".
when it's not about this, it's about them being exotic shit with arabian and gypsie memes.

Isn't that the same in pretty much every, large enough, European country ?

Because nobody cares about southern Europe.

Yes, but somehow we're the country that people prefers to dismantle when doing meme maps.

Lucky, we were dismantled irl

because Spain made way too many of those "nations" and gave them varying degrees of autonomy in an overcomplicated system that nobody outside of Spain cares about and that fuels internal struggles and political tension

Not with France it isn't.

Here some generical ethnic map about.
Castillans are pretty much the same, they just differ culturally on north, center and south.
the "andalasians are moors" it's a fucking meme, they were deported twice and castillans repopulate the southern parts, and after it some of them started to migrate into the new world.

>Andalusia
>Castillian

kek

Is this bait ? Of course it is, we have Brittany, Occitania, Basque country, Corsica, Alsace, and other regions I don't care about, which all have their local culture and for some of them still have their dialect

>canarians aren't castillians
Good one

>Canary Islands
>Andalusia
>Part of Castille

Have you ever been in the south?

None of them have active dialects, much less any sort of recognition from the government, unlike Spain, Germany and Italy.
The cultural part is a meme, even small countries like Portugal or Netherlands have tons of cultural differences despite all speaking the same language.
France is an exception in Europe, not a rule.

Yes. They speak faster, they're annoying, and they think people immediately deserve their attention to their special snowflake problems no one cares about.
Just like any typical Castillian.

>parts where the "castillian oppessors" memes are taken seriously
1.- Portugal
2.- Cataluña

well canary islands were populated by various people from various parts.
ethnically you are castillans, not 100% culturally.

What makes Galicia, Basque Country and Catalonia unique from the rest? Also I thought Andalusia was pretty culturally distinct in its own right from the rest of Spain

How can you be oppressors when no one cares about you here?

>populated by various people from various parts.
So, castillians?

Language. Galician, Basque (the only non Indo-European language in Western Europe) and Catalan are very different from Castillian. Basically like Gaelic to the UK.

So, the Castilians are the English of Iberia? The more powerful culture of a larger, semi-connected group that managed to subjugate the others?

languages, meme excuse

>ethnically you are castillans

The settlers did not come only from castille but from all Iberia and some parts of Europe (Austria, Italy, etc..) kek
>Just like any typical Castillian.
Fuck you off. Marrano de mierda.

and historical castilian oppression, another meme excuse

Why would they lie you?

>Galician, Basque (the only non Indo-European language in Western Europe) and Catalan are very different from Castillian. Basically like Gaelic to the UK.
No.
do you have any idea what Gaelic is like.
Galicia and Catalan are from the ibero-romance branch, they are quite similar to spanish.
Welsh and Gaellic are drastically different from English.
Only basque is that different to spanish.

Except they failed massively at actually doing that, unlike the English.

>Why did nobody tell me

Basically because we don't want you filthy guiris in here.
also let me use the thread to say that summer is arriving, have you considered visiting Portugal this year? Spain is full and outsiders are not welcomed in here, specially white people.

was the most populated, thats the question

>some parts of Europe (Austria, Italy, etc..) kek
Is this a joke? Those were a minority everywhere

Ah yes the old 'i know how to run my country despite massively failing at it fron the last 300 years or so'. Keep at it, old boy, try sucking some French dick harder, maybe it'll work out this time for you.

Catalan isn't Ibero-romance, idiot. And Galician to Castillian is like Scots to English. It was once the main language of poetry in this peninsula.
What really saddens me the most is how you could actually be an amazingly interesting and powerful country if you wanted to, instead of not giving a fuck about the differences and forcing the same dumb old shit everytime.

If it werent for the help you have received from England and secondarily from France, you would have been fucked for a long time.

Think a little, they were interested in an iberia divided and faced, to have them advantage, and you were in the trap as good cheap little sluts that you are

Repopulation in Andalusia was a very slow process. Andalusia is big as fuck , we were still repopulating andalusian in the 1800´s... Some parts like "Sierra morena" was repopulated by austrian settlers and cities like Cádiz received a lot of Italians from the south and the centre of Italy.

French is the only official language of France indeed, if that's what you mean.
However the government recognizes several regional languages such as Basque, Breton, Catalan, Occitan, Corsican, Various polynesian and Creole languages, Gallo-Frank and Alsatian.

These language can even be taught in public schools.
Besides, even tho almost anyone today probably speak french, it wasn't the case for the older generations, as my great grandmother spoke her dialect fluently.

>culture is a meme
I don't know what you mean, but there are still celtic fests in Brittany and Corrida in the south for example, if that is just a meme well then yeah

Dude, you couldn't even keep your own country and possessions from fighting against eachother, how can you claim it's the fauly of some outside force. Also btw thanks for that help with the Dutch, oh wait, except you fucking didn't help at all.
Sick my dick asshole

Yes and we had french and dutch settlers too, your point is? Those were still a minority and they were culturally assimilated

>Galician to Castillian is like Scots to English
hmm lets compare Castillian and Galician
>Eu vou ao dentista.
>Yo voy al dentista.
Lets compare English and Scotch
>I'm going to the dentist.
>Tha mi a 'dol chun an fhiaclair.

now stop being retarded, you haven't said a single smart thing in any of your posts and you know nothing about languages

My point is we are not castillians. That is the fucking point. The vast majority of settlers were from all the parts of Iberia, so saying "YOU WUZ CASTILLIANS BECAUSE OF MUH REPOPULATION" does not make sense.

But in Germany, Spain, Italy, heck even in small countries like the Netherlands and even Portugal (mirandese) all those languages not only have a higher degree of autonomy but they're still spoken by young people.
You claim there's some autonomy but that's really quite small compared to other countries.
And in regards to culture all I meant is that all countries have differences in culture within them, even ex-colonies like the US and Brasil, so you can't seriously use that as an argument for ethnical autonomy in France. Culture is spontaneous and much harder to control than a language or specific traditions.

dutchies arent iberians, cheap whore, its a big difference

And well, if you had belonged to Spain you would have always been richer in comparison, despite being focused on the Atlantic in colonial times you have always been the poor brother of the peninsula, it will be for something.

>muh small irrelevant differences
You sure talk like a typical castillian, with that special snowflake attitude.

Nice bait. Learn some actual Scots, and some Old English while you're at it (which is what you posted btw).

Dude you owned the Netherlands and you did nothing to help us or at least easen the war. Fuck you, we don't need you, we never did.

>dis teread

t.delusional poortuguese

>You sure talk like a typical castillian

Kek, Andalusians have their own dialect.

>says Galician and Catlaan to Spanish are like Gaelic to english
>says my post is bait
m8...
>everyone is castillians and castillians are BAD

>You sure talk like a typical castillian

We wish.....

youtube.com/watch?v=KLJt0Y6X_gs

Learn history, senpai.

To anyone reading this thread here's a tldr:
Spain's problem is that it either does nothing to effectively culturally assimilate all Iberian peoples (unlike France or even to an extent England) but pretends to be France regardless, OR it suffers from a huge special snowflake syndrome complex.
You're all the same to me imo.

Never once did I say anything about castillians being 'evil', nice complex you have there Juan.
Again, go learn Scots, or any other language for that matter. Why waste both our times when it's clear you have no idea what you're talking about?

Well yeah, those languages have less importance than French, I never said the opposite, but they still exist and are an important part of these regions identity, and France isn't some monolithical block like you're claiming.

As for the culture part, you clearly don't know what you're talking about, just go tell a Corsican, a Breton, a Parisian and an Alsatian or a Basque lr whatever they have the same culture, kek.

Don't you think young people in Corsica speak Corsican ? And don't tell me it's because it hasn't been a long time since they "joined" France, because Corsica belonged to France before Germany or Italy were countries.

well, try to not genocide each others, next time

Again, I'm not saying they have the same culture, just that 'culture' in itself is a vague concept with very little to do with actual ethnical autonomy. Try tell a northern portuguese and a southern portuguese they have the exact same cultures as well and see their reaction. And Portugal is pretty much like France in that minority ethnical differences are basically nonexistent compared to other european countries.
I'm not saying this is a bad thing, btw, but it is a fact. France might have some degree of ethnical variation but it's 1 pretty much nonexistent at this point in time and 2 not relevant enough for the citizens not to consider themselves french, unlike in Italy for instance, Spain, UK, even Germany.
Again, not a bad thing, just a fact. France is France, but Italy is like a weird algamation of different places put together 200 years ago.

>Basques in Navarra
>Catalans in Aragon

So sad. Fucking nationalist propaganda erasing history.

Well sure, but I still don't see why France is an exception

>Fuck you, we don't need you, we never did.
Run to fill you with antidepressants, moortuguese.

agree with you

Because France is France.
UK is literally a United Kingdom, Italy is just the name of a peninsula, Germany is some old medieval concept that doesn't even translate to where german speaking peoples are (Austria?), Spain is well what we see today, Belgium is two countries in one, and the Netherlands are literally the Low CountrIES (not CountrY).
But France is France.

OK. Learn English btw.

Parce que les autres grands pays européens comme l'Espagne ou l'Italie sont des patchworks amalgamés de régions (ou cités-états) qui ont encore un degré d'autonomie plus grand et dont les distinctions culturelles sont encore très prégnantes.
La France est infiniment plus unie (merci la IIIème République) malgré ses particularismes régionaux.
On peut imaginer sans soucis la Sicile, La Castille ou l'Ecosse prenant leur indépendance de leur pays actuels, mais personne ne croit sérieusement à un mouvement indépendantiste en France aujourd'hui.
Les Bretons sont français d'abord, bretons ensuite (sauf quand il s'agit de faire la grande gueule en soirée).
Les Castillans sont castillans avant de se dire espagnols. Idem pour les écossais ou les siciliens.
La France est une exception parce qu'elle est beaucoup plus homogène et unie.

Exactamente isto.

Yeah, this guy is right you know. France used to be in the same spot as Spain are today but that ended with the IIIrd Republic.
Nobody seriously believes that France can become balkanized overnight, while the idea of a UK that would break down is not entirely foreign to us.