What's a slightly less than common food (pizza, burgers, tacos...

What's a slightly less than common food (pizza, burgers, tacos, etc) that you can pick up in just about any mid-sized town? My job has me traveling a lot and eating the same foods is getting old.

Doner Kebab, it's great

Pussy

Ruben Sandwich
fucking great sandwich

Go to a grocery store and get some stuff to put together to make your own neat shit.

I've done this from time to time, but I'm lucky if the hotel rooms have a nice microwave.

Any sandwich place will make you at least a dozen things that are completely different from the others
Or go to ethnic places. That doesn't just mean hurkadurk food, you can find great German restaurants all over America

Yeah usually the waves are little shitty ones. Still, I often prefer to do that.

I used to travel a lot around the south. I'm talking about mostly kinda medium to small towns that didn't have a ton of variety. I personally just got really fucking good at finding nifty places on Google. It's surprising what you can find. I had a great Thai restaurant and an Irish pub with great food in Dothan, AL, a surprisingly good Nigerian joint in the middle of the hood in Jackson, MS, some excellent barbecue and Mexican food all over the place, some great seafood in Mobile (that one wasn't surprising really), the best po' boy sandwiches I've ever had in my life in a ghetto ass gas station in Meridian, MS... So the internet is what I'd recommend. The answer to your question though just kind of varies regionally, I think.

Panda Express

pupusas

Kebab.
Falafel.
Curry.

philly cheesesteaks. not a guarantee but holy fuck i love philly cheesesteaks

What's a dish you've gone back to eat time and again even when you aren't on the road?

german food. love me some Sauerbraten

Not sure I really have an answer to what you're trying to get at. The things that can be found everywhere are things I was already familiar with. I just found great places for them. Might help if you told me what part of the country?
You my nigga, nigga.

find a steakhouse and get a small cut of meat and some vegetables.

thanks bot, kys

lol wut

Pasta, subs, chinese

Fried calamari

Fried Chicken
Biscuits and Gravy

This shit is too fucking good

pho, it's the shit

I guess the best answer I can think of to your question would be Mexican food. Either the Americanized stuff everyone's familiar with or, better yet, the really legit Mexican food made for Mexican people. I'm sure wherever you are has Mexican laborers and they gotta eat out somewhere, and it's probably somewhere good. Just keep your eyes peeled for a dingy looking old hole in the wall, because those places are usually great. Or again like I said, the internet is your friend as well.

God, FUCK Captcha!

This is a good answer too, OP.

This guy knows his shit.

Wonton soup. Craving some so bad right now.

>you can find great German restaurants all over America
No, you really can’t.

The rest is solid advice.

When visiting the South, eat some goddamn southern food a/k/a soul food.

When visiting ANY region, eat what’s special in THAT region.

This really isn’t rocket science, if you’re not autistic.

Sadly, this fag is right. Great German food is god tier but in my experience, quite hard to find outside the upper Midwest. Even okay German food is a lot less common than it should be.

wonton noodle soup is the best, but not so common in mid sized cities

Yep. NoCal has a ton of German restaurants (which, for whatever fucked-up reason, are all called "Germania Restaurants", with an a), but they all suck.

Northeastern PA had a GREAT German restaurant right in the middle of the Poconos, but it closed a few years ago. All the other German restaurants in the area suck.

There is no decent German restaurant in all of NYC.

>There is no decent German restaurant in all of NYC
Damn, now that is surprising. Fuck. There are a few in Seattle where I live, but while I wouldn't say they're bad places to eat, if you're looking for serious German food, they don't really scratch the itch. There was a pretty good spot in Birmingham, AL, of all places, but they were a deli type joint, no full dinner menu. Great sausages and German pastries and stuff though. The best German I've eaten was in Madison, Wisconsin.

There are several problems with German restaurants in the U.S.

>1. Virtually all try to do just Bavarian & Swabian (i.e., Southern German) food,
>but (a) do a poor job of it
>and (b) ignore the many other kinds of German food.

>2. The sausage thing!
>Germans (who are older than, say, 7) never, ever eat sausages at a restaurant.
>Sausages are street food.
>This is worse than ordering a hot dog at a fancy restaurant.

There is one German restaurant in the Northeast that is at least interesting. It’s called “Hallo Berlin” and it's right off I-81 near the NY-PA line. It was started by an East German and tries to showcase food from ALL regions of Germany.

eat a dick

Go for a pasty, OP. There usually is a Warrens In the stop stations but go for a Brimbles one if you can find it.

Pupusas.

seconding....always my base judgement of a restaurant/bar

Im living in Madison born and raised in WI....aunt owned a German supper club in SW WI

There’s good regional fast food. I used to basically live on the roof. Bag Area - bahn mi. Boston - hot dogs. Mpls - White Castle. DC - fried catfish on wondr bread with hot sauce.

Second, in Spain we have a lot of them, and holy fuck they are good.
Falafel is also great.