Spoon thread

spoon thread

Spoon found on mars

Fuccbois

its happening

I like rusty spoons

Salad Fingers confirmed. He knows of Sup Forums, time to retreat to bunker.

When I was in Ranger School, I was so fixated on food that I could hardly think about anything else. Spoons are the only things that come in MREs, but I hated those black, plastic spoons that came with them. I promised myself that I would always carry a metal spoon with myself everywhere I went, just to make sure that I would always be able to eat at any time, anywhere.

I put this spoon in my assault pack the day I got back home after graduation. TSA won't let me carry knives or forks, but this spoon has lasted me since then. It's been to Afghanistan, Kyrgyzstan, and all over America. I hope it will be with me to devour many pints of ice cream in the future.

thank you for your service

thank you for your support!

what was your MOS?

Anons, we need to get this thread going

Shit, man, that's intense. I want a companion spoon like that now. How was ranger school? As batshit crazy as people say it is?

I was an 11A. Best job I will ever have.

is ranger school, airborne school, etc. open for combat MOS(es) only or for anyone? like some aviation mechanic dude can get into airborne school?

It was definitely hard, but I would say it was 90% just being a starving, sleep-deprived zombie, walking around with a heavy rucksack on. People only talk about the cool parts, but there was a lot less high-adrenaline fighting and way more sleep walking than they showed in Surviving the Cut.

It's open to literally anyone. It's considered the best small-unit-tactics and leadership course in the military, so the Army wants all the best Soldiers to go to it. Plus, it is open to all other branches, and all militaries that are aligned with the US. My platoon had a Polish CPT in it, and there was a Marine in another company.

so what happens after you get your ranger tab? Ive heard you dont become an ACTUAL army ranger spec ops guys. 75th regiment

Also, I should add that Airborne and most other schools are open to anyone. The only schools that I know of that are MOS dependent are the schools that are limited to Special Forces and Ranger Regiment (11 series, but unit dependent), like Combat Diver and Free Fall Parachutist.

what happens after you get your airbone tab???

you actual fucking buffoon, not sure if you can read or not but this is a spoon thread you fucking numbskull

There is a debate as to who is a "true Ranger" in the Army. There are two types of Rangers: Scroll and Tab.

The Scroll refers to the Regiment scroll that serves as the unit patch for Ranger Regiment. Tab refers to the guys who graduate from Ranger School and get a Ranger Tab.

I was one of the latter; a tabbed Ranger. If you are an Infantry officer, you have to go to Ranger School, but you aren't required to graduate (though you are considered a poor Infantry officer if you don't, and your future in the Infantry is limited). Officers can't go into the Ranger Regiment unless they already have a Ranger Tab, and have been in the Army for 3 years with excellent reviews.

You can go into Regiment without a tab if you are a private, but in order to have any kind of leadership role in Ranger Regiment, you have to get a Ranger Tab or you get kicked out.

I actually passed RASP 2, but I simultaneously got offered a (seemingly) high paying job in NYC. I was posted in Fort Polk, where there were no women, and I had to hear all my buddies talk about cleaning up on Tinder and Bumble. I thought I was going to go to NYC and make millions while banging the hottest chicks. I got fired from my job in less than two years for banging my anorexic Asian female boss and now I'm stuck going to business school. My biggest regret is not joining Regiment when I had the change.

There actually isn't a permanently assigned Airborne Tab award. The airborne tab is based on the unit. If your unit is an airborne unit, the unit patch will come with an airborne tab, even if you aren'r airborne qualified.

The permanent badge for graduate of Airborne School are the Jump Wings, i.e. the Parachutist Badge. You get to put it above all your service ribbons. You will see it above the "US Army" tape on the left side of the uniform.

As a side note, you will get little yellow stars on your Parachutist Badge for every combat jump you perform. In the service, the stars are known as "mustard stains" because they are little yellow dots.

Here's what the combat jump Airbone wings look like

so any MOS can go to airborne school?

How do you guys feel about wooden spoons?

Yeah, man. Any MOS can but to Airborne School.

BUT

slots in the school are limited, so the Army prioritizes Soldiers that are in Airborne units. If you haven't joined the Army yet, you can have an Airborne School opportunity included in your enlistment contract. Otherwise, there are a couple MOSes that have guaranteed Airborne School slots, but the only ones I know of are riggers (don't know the MOS) and Special Forces Candidate (18X). If you go infantry, you can get a Ranger contract, and that will also guarantee that you'll go to Ranger School.

If you don't want to do any of those MOSes, though, make sure your recruiter puts Airborne in your contract. Otherwise, it can be difficult to get a slot.

1. What happens if someone who is not in an airborne unit goes to airborne school and gets the airborne tab?

2. Suppose you get the airborne tab do you get to jump or is that for the ones in airborne units?

Sorry, I mistyped on this one.

A Ranger contract (otherwise known as an Option 40) will guarantee you Airborne School and RASP 1, but not Ranger School.

I accidentally typed "Ranger School" when I meant "Airborne School." The Super Bowl had me distracted.

It really depends on where they are in their service commitment.

If they went straight to Airborne after Basic Training, the Army will generally change their orders and move them to an Airborne unit.

If they have already gone to their "leg" unit, they will just return to their unit, but they will have the opportunity when they re-enlist to move to an airborne unit. Generally speaking, if you're in a leg unit and you prove that you have the mettle to pass Airborne School, they will often open up other schools to you as well, like Air Assault.

If you're in an Airborne unit already and you get your Parachutist Badge, you will generally go to your unit and they will evaluate you. If you are in good shape and are a good Soldier, they will send you to Jumpmaster School and Pathfinder School.

Ranger School is definitely the school that opens the most doors, though. Once you get a Ranger Tab, they will generally require you to go to Airborne School, and it usually earns you an automatic promotion, which will then allow you to go to even more schools.

For part 2 on this, Airborne School gives you 5 jumps. You have to do all 5 successfully in order to graduate.

After you are done with Airborne, you just jump whenever your unit jumps. If your unit doesn't jump, you're out of luck.

More spooning

BACK TO THE FRONT PAGE

There is no reason this should be on the 8th page

Did you know that spoons, along with knives, are the only utensils developed independently across all cultures?

Spoons are completely different in Asia and Europe

We need more artisanal spoons

Godtier spoon here

Who here still uses baby spoons?

WE'RE BACK ON THE FRONT PAGE!!!

bump

what advice would you give me about airborne school, ranger school, and the army in general?
I was in JROTC for 2 years in high school. We had marines but i want to keep my options open

also if im in a airborne unit like 82nd or 101st do i have to be 11B or any combat MOS?

Well, that really depends. What options are you looking at right now, and where are you in life? Are you in college, still in high school, graduated HS but no college?

college, ive been thinking about the military a lot recently... Matter of fact military was the back up plan

For the big, division sized units, you can generally choose any MOS you want. There will be slots for most MOSes in the big units.

The 82nd and 101st each have (if I remember correctly) 2-3 Infantry Brigades, 1 Field Artillery Brigade, an Aviation brigade, and a support brigade.

Each Infantry and Field Artillery brigade is made up of 2 Infantry or field artillery battalions, one special troops battalion, and a support battalion. The Field Artillery and Infantry brigades will be entirely Infantry or Field artillery, but they will have various support platoons from the Special Troops and Support battalions attached to them.

The Special Troops Battalions will have the most MOSes in them. Military Police, Engineers, Ordinance personnel. the Support battalion will have Logistics, Legal, Finance, and Quartermasters in it. If you're aiming for a Brigade level unit or higher, there is a spot for any MOS in those units.

mre spoons are brown, never been black

thank you for the information and your service

If you're in college, but you don't want to make the military your career, here is the plan one of my buddies used to maximize his opportunities while getting the opportunity to have a couple military adventures.

He signed up for the National Guard and ROTC at the same time. He turned down the ROTC scholarship and accepted the National Guard scholarship to pay for his undergrad. Then, because Active Duty takes precedent over National Guard, his requirements to serve in the National Guard were waived to allow him to serve in the Active Duty. ROTC gives you and Active Duty Service Obligation (ADSO) of 3 years. Since he hadn't used any Active Duty Army money to pay for college, he immediately started accruing GI Bill benefits once he started Active Duty. You get 100% GI Bill after 3 years of service. So, after 3 years of service, he left the Army and went to Law School, which was 100% paid for by the GI Bill. Basically, he got a free undergrad education and free law school with only 3 years of Active Duty service.

I did mine a little differently. My school didn't offer ROTC, so I went to OCS and used the Army's Student Loan Repayment Plan option to pay for my undergrad. After 3 years of Active Duty, I began accruing GI Bill benefits. If I had stayed in for 6 years, I would have gotten 100% GI Bill, but I left before then. With Veteran's scholarships, I am still getting a full ride for business school

what about reserves?

Forks are best

>forks
>best

The downside of ROTC is that you have limited ability to choose your MOS. The top 10% or so of candidates get their first pick, and then there is some weird algorithm that the Army uses, where the middle 50-60% get their first picks. The other candidates are rated on their order of merit and assigned to the needs of the Army, with some consideration given to their picks based on how good their grades and physical fitness are. Supposedly, the Army uses this to diversify the quality of Officers in less prestigious branches.

OCS and West Point use a complete merit system. When I went through OCS, halfway through, after taking all classroom tests and a couple PT tests, every student was ranked in an Order of Merit list. Then, all the open slots available to use were listed, and pins corresponding with the MOSes were placed on a table on a stage. We walked up, one at a time, in the order of merit, picked the pin of the MOS we wanted, and announced it to the crowd.

If you think you can place near the top of an OCS class, OCS will give you greater control of your career. However, OCS will require you to go through Basic Training. If you don't want to do that, or you think that you wouldn't do well in OCS, ROTC is the better option. We had one guy in my class who went through ROTC, but didn't get the MOS he wanted, so he rejected it and went through OCS instead, so if ROTC really fucks you, you can always do that.

plebs

heretic

I'm in the Reserves now. I completed my ADSO, so it's totally voluntary, and I'm just doing it to be a weekend warrior. It's fun, but there are a few downsides to it, compared to the active duty.

1). You won't get as many school opportunities. The Reserves have less money, and they tend to be much more stingy.

2). The pay is weird. For each day you go to on weekend Battle Assemblies, you get paid for 2 days. However, when you get called to Active Duty Training (ADT), you don't just get automatically paid, like you do in the Active Duty. You have to submit vouchers. Plus, they give you a government credit card, that you are required to pay off out of your own money, but then they refund you everything you paid. It's a bit of a hassle.

3). The cool MOSes aren't available in the Reserves. I was Infantry, but there are no Infantry reserve units. There are some in the National Guard, but the NG is different than the Reserves. I had to reclass to PsyOps.

4). In Active Duty, you are constantly training to deploy and do your job. In the Reserves, I feel like the Army takes a back seat to most of the people in my unit. I don't think they would be the kinds of people I would want to do a combat deployment like my last one with, but it's not a direct action unit, so the risk is a little mitigated.

pretty much

Now that I look back the the two random old pics I have of my old MRE meals, they were brown.

Ironically, the first MRE I ever had was in Basic Training, and I loved it because it had candy in it. By the time I finished IBOLC, I strongly disliked them because we had to eat them for 5 days straight. By the time I finished Ranger School, I never wanted to smell an MRE heater ever again. Of course, they are unavoidable in the Army.