How the fuck can making one movie cost half a billion?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=9zuVTJNALwQ
hollywoodreporter.com/behind-screen/james-cameron-promises-innovation-avatar-sequels-as-hes-feted-by-engineers-942305
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

99% cgi

they had to invent and develop a lot of new technologies for that movie, including a new 3D camera system.

High class hookers and blow

t. poor hermit

I heard it costed 100mill to just render the movie.

And they recouped those costs when plebs and idiots paid $15 for a 3D ticket.

"Making a movie is a business." ~ George Lucas

James Cameron made 350millions thanks success of Avatar.

>Can render stuff on my piece of shit laptop
>James cameron "needs" 100m to do his movie

Fucking hell, how much coke and hookers went through Avatar's books?

BASED JIM

You do realize that modern movie takes about 10 to 40 hours to render a single frame on a server farm right?

Avatar had an average render time of 50 hours per frame.

Shit takes like 6 months. Movie studios buy server time across the US, and have multiple facilities each render certain parts. All together it takes a very long time, and its very fucking expensive.
Not to mention the raw output of the entire film can be anywhere from 500TB to 2PT, which then needs to be converted to a usable format, either digital, or printed on film. And then the whole 3D part needs to be done as well.

hurr

CGI is expensive.

why is neytiri so cute

Hiring little boys and girls is expensive

You realise it was actually filmed, right? This wasn't Toy Story, where everything had to be actually created and rendered. JC was obviously just inflating the budget. Now whether that was actually for coke and hookers or just to pocket through Hollywood Accounting, it's ridiculous that a fifth of the budget of a LIVE ACTION film went to rendering.

Movie is overrated.

That one's a regular 3D camera used on the live action.

The one they developed was basically a monitor synced up to a bunch cameras which fed positional data to it.

So is your opinion.

Are you retarded? Avatar had about 20 minutes of live footage, most of which had some CGI in it, the rest was all motion capture, and 100% CGI.

40% was live action with CGI elements, 60% was mo-cap which had to be rendered with CGI and supported with digital environments.

Avatar required tons more work than the average animated film.

James go to bed. You've got 4 more cashgrabs to shit out soon. Have you thought about ripping off Aladdin for the next one?

Movie is overrated

Objectively correct statement: Avatar was an impressive tech demo but a shitty movie.

real time 3d filming with live action, they had to make it.

It's criminally underrated by redditors like you, that's for sure.

It's overrated

youtube.com/watch?v=9zuVTJNALwQ
>you will never go on a seven year interstellar voyage to an undiscovered planet
Feels bad man

I agree, humans had cooler shit and it becomes a boring romance.

Movie is overrated

Literally the first act of Aliens.

BRAVO

God I love that arrival scene. I feel you user, if I could take the ticket up there right now I would.

Who tf gave him half a billion dollars or did he fund this himself

What is reddit?

Same thing he did in Titanic. Put his own money in when the studio started doubting him, and proceeded to BTFO everyone.
Jim it's been nearly 8 years make the next fucking movie NOW

>cool as fuck scene
>a similar concept is somehow a bad thing
You have to go back.

Those movies run on coke and whores. Coke and whores cost money.

Avatars sucked and only had cool visuals.

Then why was it so popular?

>you spend all your time missing entire pieces of history on your home world
>you have to leave everything behind because the amount of time you exist in the universe becomes malleable, and it's basically not worth it to have any connection to most human beings other than the few that work with you because sooner or later you'll get a mission that puts you 6 or 7 years apart, if not longer
>everything you do is for the progression of the human race, but at the same time, you're no longer 1:1 with it

Space travel is weird

Because it had good visuals.

How does he do it?

>James Cameron teases Avatar sequels in 3D without glasses!

hollywoodreporter.com/behind-screen/james-cameron-promises-innovation-avatar-sequels-as-hes-feted-by-engineers-942305

Best sci-fi of the last two decades.

Most big movies nowadays have good visuals and good effects. It's nothing new anymore. That alone doesn't make a movie successful or popular.

because it was hyped up as some monumental event

Like Jurassic World and TFA, right? Both huge movies with name recognition and great effects... yet not even close to Avatar.

Because it's overrated

>Most big movies nowadays have good visuals and good effects.
>unironically believing this

not even close?lol

Most big movies nowadays have good visuals and good effects.

No, not even close. JW is a boring, reshoot-ridden lazy CGI mess. TFA is visually awful rehash.

Avatar LITERALLY has better CGI, better USE of CGI and better visuals overall than movies seven years later. It's the AAA king.

This, when I saw it myself it was overrated.

Movie is overrated.

They didn't even beat Titanic, which is 20 years old.

>forgot my meme arrows

TFA made $2,068,223,624
Jurassic World made $1,670,400,637

Plus of these three Avatar was the only one nominated for best picture.

those movies weren't hyped up anywhere near as much as this one was retard

they made it sound like that if you missed this one, you were basically missing a brand new movie adaptation of one of Homer's untold epic poems or some shit. I remember watching the news and constantly seeing shit about how this movie would change your perspective on everything

And then it was just an okay Sci-Fi movie that looked pretty but everyone saw it anyway because James Cameron is a master at box office numbers

Why it's taking so long to make a sequel no one wants and everyone probably has forgotten about the original.

Movie is overrated.

(You)

Titanic is boring just like Avatar and Kate Winslet should get naked more.

Movie is overrated.

>filmmaker rushes to shit out sequel -> BAD!
>filmmaker takes time to make the best movie he can -> BAD!

wew

>TFA wasn't as hyped up as Avatar
Disneyshills pls go.

ty someone who isn't so young they forgot the immense hype about this white guilt adaptation.

This post is overrated

The worst thing is is that Cameron is so fucking good at getting people to see his movies in that quantity, he's probably got it all figured out this time too. The wait for the sequel is all part of hyping it up again. If it came out in 3 years or so it wouldn't have gotten half of the movie tickets purchased as the first one but now that Avatar is once again some mystical legendary thing that everyone is waiting an infinite amount of time for and that reportedly has half a billion spent on it, people are gonna eat that shit up all over again

Damn you Cameron, you master ruseman

>TFA
>not hyped as much as Avatar

kek

Movie is overrated

Underrated. Action still holds up, but that is usually a given with Cameron's movies. It doesn't look like shit which is rare for a cgi movie, effects are great, original scifi concepts/artwork got a lot of work put in, and really the only thing that can be said is that the story isn't original and acting is kinda subpar. But again, this is Cameron movie and they're great cause of action and effects not cause of originality or story-telling.

He need to somehow spend 2trillion dollars to sell it to the masses as the most biblical film to ever touch the silver screen.

Homer wasn't a poet he worked in a nuclear powerplant you retard. Fuck off Avatar is the bestest movie ever.

Don't try to make sense of it user. This place is just infected with Reddit cancer now. I've someone praising Alien 3 as a masterpiece while shitting on Aliens

Advertising is overrated and when you watch it yourself it's boring and only visuals are compelling.

Humans shouldn't have been cartoonishly evil and should have been portrayed both sides as sympathetic.

Movie is overrated

Are you people baiting me or do you honestly just have the memory of a goldfish

>It's a new Star Wars movie that's actually good!
vs
>Years of: "THIS MOVIE WILL CHANGE YOUR FUCKING LIFE"

Does your mommy that you use that kind of language on the internet?

Reddit is overrated

Aliens is better than 3.

Mommy, language, and internet is overrated.

STOP

>>It's a new Star Wars movie that's actually good!
>being so easily manipulated by Disney Jews that you think that was the only advertising
Wew.

>being triggered by a normal question

Typical redditscum

TFA only got really hyped on 2 weeks before release.Avatar was hyped before and after the release.The media was shilling hard for it everyday.

That's because the hype for shitty movies stops after the release.

Charts are overrated

Not really. Avatar is a pretty good movie. But you are entitled to your opinion.

same reason disney princesses are; they're fucking designed to be

Wew this thread is becoming something else boys

I'm gotten

Opinions are overrated

Disney princesses are overrated

Meg is best and I don't consider her a princess still overrated

Threads are overrated

>hollywoodreporter.com/behind-screen/james-cameron-promises-innovation-avatar-sequels-as-hes-feted-by-engineers-942305

based jim

I can't fucking wait for the next set of avatar movies.

Will blow star shit and capepiss the fuck OUT.

too bad this webm hold no merit anymore

your entire life holds no merit.

fuck off

capeshit is here forever crybaby and will be more popular than your white guilt movies cry more faggot

Are you all a bunch of nu-cucks?

Avatar barely had any hype, in fact it was constantly getting predicted to bomb. People even said it would financially crash when it made like $75M opening weekend

Then the second weekend had a 0% fucking drop.

And then the third.

Ass blasted redditors can deny it all they want but Avatar succeeded based on monumental word of mouth through people who saw it, convincing others to see it. There was no hype beyond an overall pretty terrible marketing campaign that wasn't sure how to sell the movie.

In b4 "muh visuals". Dipshits. As if Cameron didn't intent for the movie to basically succeed based on its ability to transport audiences to another planet.

wrong

Why are you so desperate to pretend you weren't 12 when this film was coming out?

I was 11

At least I was alive then you filthy fucking reddit shit

They created a fuckload of technologies to support it, also it still has one of the best CGI's to this day.

Those technologies are being used in many other movies which is giving a lot of money.

All I wish is a R version of avatar so I can see some blue bulges, James Cameron admitted he made the crotches on the males flat to keep the rating down.

Jake is still mai husbando and Neytiri is a bitch that can go fuck a six legged horse for all I care.

I was 14
It made me realize I was gay
So much shit happened in my life because of that movie