Best Modern Horror Movies

Best Modern Horror Movies
(2010-Present)

Or explain why there hasn't been any good modern horror movies.

I thought "IT" (2017) was a good movie. Most horror movies now days are shit. This was a nice exception.

Modern horror relies too much on gore, jump scares, and other cheap techniques. The Innocents (1961) and The Shining are examples of good horror.

Damn, should've made this much more click baity.

For me modern horror doesn't do it. Maybe it's the CG, maybe it's the jump scares or the inaudible sounds they add to trigger fear. (Under 20Hz I think? Idk, not going to google it)
The 80's were a better time for horror. Monkey Shines (came out in 88 just like pumpkinhead) or Basketcase (early 80's) are two examples of the story doing all the work. Monkey Shines legit fucked me up the first time I watched it.

Haven't watched it but I've been told by trustworthy sources that the old tv version is still better

Overall genra is trash

Overall you're faggot who's just to callow to watch horror films.

Agreed, honestly just fishing for modern movies. The last two hyped up movies turned out to be garbage "It follows" and "Get out".

I thought the original evil dead (1981) was funny at first, then I started seeing the faces as I closed my eyes... That was the scariest part.

Same. I love practical effects, so much more realistic and scarier than CG.

I liked Cloverfield. It's not 2010-present but it's pretty close

10 Cloverfield Lane was a genuinely good movie... minus the last ten minutes that didn't have anything to do with the plot. Actually, that part was kinda cool but it didn't fit with the flow of the movie

A couple of really good horror movies I can remember are Skeleton Key and Babadook.

Was about to say the same.

Skeleton Key was horrible IMHO. The ending made me want to curb stomp a stray cat.

I didn't like babadook that much. I thought it started out good but dragged on to a let down and that kid was annoying as fuck to me.

Skeleton Key was pretty decent tho.

OP here.

To me insidious was the last above par horror movie. Genuinely scary.

I liked the babadook because it was an allegory for grief. Once the babadook (grief) sets up in your house, it's sometimes impossible to get rid of, so you must simply learn to live with it. Once you know that, the movie becomes more interesting and makes more sense.

Skeleton key was super-creepy because I really like the whole voodoo angle. And having the black servants switch bodies with the kids was frikkin creepy. Also just very atmospheric.

TO each there own. But I'm one to talk, I actually liked The Conjuring. It was cheesy as all hell, but it had a decent old school horror vibe to it.

I didn't really pick up on that, just kind of took it at face value.

As for skeleton key, I kept catching glimpses of the movie "The Orphanage" which was better imo.

Never saw it, but i'll give it a whirl next time I'm in the mood.

There was one mini-movie in V/H/S/2 that I really liked too, about a cult in the Philippines. Super creepy and a bit reminiscent of Lovecraft, which always earns points with me. The rest of the movie was pretty good, but the cult stuff was the high point.

What else? I'm trying to think of more, but nothing is coming to mind. I don't watch that much horror anymore.

Truth be told the horror genre is fairly dead as of late. And the thing is horror is the perfect genre for today, at least here in teh states. You know its bad when they bring back the snuff film stuff, ie the Saw franchise

Fuck you. Name one good horor flick. All it is is just gore. No wonder why idmd rates it low.

the witch

Discovering Bigfoot has good horror elements in strange almost Kubrick-like ways, believe it or not. People on reddit like to insult Todd Standing but it's actually an awesome movie.

So, I liked the original Saw, it was pretty tense, the motivation of the killer was a bit comprehensible and I didn't see the twist ending coming. But, I'm sure the later ones were pretty bad.

Oh, I did see a fun horror-ish movie recently, Grabbers. I thought it was a real hoot.

One movie I'm waiting for is for someone to do a faux-documentary about Slenderman and/or some of the shit they talk about on /x/, like shadow people, etc. It would have to be done in a really light-handed way, though, so as not to break the tension.

First half was better than expected, second half was meh

They are lying fucks blinded by nostalgia. I'm not saying the new one is good at all, because it wasn't, but the old one is complete and utter garbage with about 5 good minutes of Tim Curry, and that's it. Anyone in that shit would have been fired on their first day trying to act on a soap opera. If you didn't see it when you were a kid, it has absolutely no value at all.

Actually yeah

I've always thought it was such a shame that most of Stephen King's novels turned out to be a bit lame when on film. I'm a fan. The best movie adaptation was The Mist but I also liked Rose Red.

Stephen King's stuff doesn't translate well onto the screen. The main reason being King has diarrhea of the word processor and his novels will go random tangents.

Take It for example. One moment Beverly is hiding from the bullies in the junk yard. Couple pages later and King is goes off on a tangent about baked beans. At the time he was a coke head, but even sober he does this in a lot of his books

That probably has a lot to do with it.

But I also feel like it's partially because King was somewhat influenced by Lovecraft, who is also notoriously hard to translate to movies.

Oh, my fav King film is Kubrick's Shining. This is because he ignored a lot of King's stuff

This one is horrifically bad.

If by modern horror you mean everything made after 1979, then yeah, sure it does.

Somehow no one mentioned house of wax

I've never found The Shining a standout movie - it was always pretty slow and not really scary.

I know it has it's fans and Jack N. did a great crazy person, but it just did not get to me.

Lovecraft, IMHO, is the father of modern horror. But yes, his stuff also doesn't translate well into film. However, I think Shadow over Innsmouth could be a decent horror film. Especially the part where the main character has to run while the entire town is chasing him.

Anyway, the horror film I would like to see is a complete reboot of Hellraiser that's more closely based on the book. A female Pinhead would give lots of people why boners

Lol, judges movies off IMDB rating.

Alien, Psycho, The Exorcist, The Shining, Halloween, A Nightmare on Elm Street, Hellraiser, The Thing, Pet Sematary, Night of the Living Dead, Poltergeist, The Omen, Suspiria

The reason I liked the Shining is because it best captures King style. King slowly ratchets up the horror until at the end your practically manic.

But yeah, the movie is pretty slow paced.

>faux documentary of slenderman

Marble Hornets

Yes, totally agree with the Shadow Over Innsmouth. Have you heard the bootleg radio-show version that was done at a rpg convention awhile ago? Outstanding. It was all over the filesharing networks back in the day. It would also be an incredible stage play.

Nice, I'll have to see that. There were some pretty good amateur youtube attempts made too, I have to say.

there have been some good to great horror movies the last few years

Southbound
The Invitation
The Vault
It
Home Movie
The Tunnel
The Bay

Pet Sematary is golden. Never read the book but the movie is a great horror film. Scarier than the shining imo.

I've actually never seen it all the way through. I started watching it late one night but fell asleep and totally forgot about it until I just saw your comment.

Another potential horror movie would be an adaptation of I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream. Might be better off as a mini-series, but it has a lot of potential.

But the only way it would be good is to wait until Harlan Elllison dies.

Watch this and thank me later.

Yeah, I have no idea why King hated that adaptation. I thought it was brilliant. King apparently liked the faggy TV version with the guy from Wings

It's just too outdated at this point. When it came out it was acceptable and common for movies to have long, quiet, drawn out sequences. Now days a movie can't go 5 minutes without some humor, a montage, or direct action taking place. As tech has progressed our attention spans have dropped significantly, which may be another contributing factor as to why modern horror is so weak.

Yeah, when Gage wants dude to come and play, that was some scary shit.

He hated Kubrick's version because it deviated too far from the book, especially in the end. In the book the black guy lives, the hotel explodes and everyone lives happily ever after.

That is until King needs a quick buck and writes Dr. Sleep (still a halfway decent book).

That dead guy that got hit by the car who follows the father around legitimately scared the fuck out of me when I first saw it.

Someone may have mentioned The Conjuring already, which I thought was pretty scary. Loved the 70's atmosphere and the documentary fell of it.

Oh, so one thing I have enjoyed recently is The Dome. I'm not sure if that's horror exactly, but certainly entertaining

You mean bio-dome?

That was the entire point of the movie, though. Isolation, boredom, remoteness, and tedium possibly driving a man to madness. Otherwise it would have been just another "spooky thing chases people around spooky house" snoozefest

The Devil's Candy (2015)

True terror indeed, friend.

Ah, sorry, no - "Under The Dome". Getting late, should head to bed.

That's the other reason King hated that movie. In the book its painfully obvious that there are ghosts.

Kubrick's take, however, leaves a lot up to the imagination.

there have been some great horror episodes from Masters of Horror:
Cigarette Burns
Pick Me Up
Deer Woman
An Incident On and Off a Mountain Road

some of the highly rated independent horror has been pretty good, but overrated:

Better Watch Out
Kill List

if you like older horror (ten plus years old):
Shadow of the Vampire
Nightbreed

Evil Dead 2 gets an honorable mention- in the original Nightmare on Elm Street Nancy is watching the first Evil Dead to stay awake. Freddy's Glove is in the shed in Evil Dead 2

Oh, got another one in the horror-comedy genre. Deathgasm, it's on Netflix I think.

Anyway, thanks for the suggestions everyone, I'm out.

Off topic but I'm just going thread to thread reminding all white people that they should kill themselves for the betterment of society. You're doing nothing but standing in the way of progression.

Thanks fuck face. You just reminded me that they're doing a remake of The Shining starring Jamie Foxx.

Literally leave this place and never fucking come back.

Tell me this isn't true.

I'm willing to bet it is. They're remaking everything in color now.

Seriously, stay the fuck out of my thread bitch.

dude v/h/s 1 and 2 were pretty fuckin decent. especially that cult one and the one in v/h/s where the guy gets stabbed in the middle of the night by his girlfriends lesbian lover

that was the first movie that actually scared me. That and revenge of the living dead cuz they couldn't die