youtube.com/watch?v=cOeKidp-iWo
youtube.com/watch?v=y_916snRF_g
youtu.be/T3kworqbeqw
archive.rebeccablacktech.com/mu/thread/75434085/#75435858
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Hi newfriend

Classical improvisation > Jazz Improvisation

youtube.com/watch?v=tOQvxK813J0

How many jazz artists improvise in 4 voices with each voice imitating each other?

>How come you fags never talk about jazz
Do you know why? Because this board is dead as a place for genuine music discussion. It's no different than any other obscure boards filled with shitposts at this point.

Whenever we talk about jazz these days it turns into a shitfest.
>we will never have the /jazz/ threads of old again being as comfy as /classical/

>get a song with 2 extended improvised jazz piano solos played on top 40 radio

youtube.com/watch?v=cOeKidp-iWo

nonetheless, still dead. nobody wants to hear this shit anymore, why?

that's cute. charles mingus improvised an entire album on piano even though his main instrument was the bass.

youtube.com/watch?v=y_916snRF_g

It's not exactly dead. The jam band scene actually has a HUGE self-sustaining following in the U.S.

But as to why you don't see too much central focus on jazz or blues-like improvisation in more cutting edge or 'hip' styles - it's because most of those who learn to improvise on an instrument are learning to play music in really conventional ways (indeed, through jazz and blues) which just isn't where music is being pushed in new places at this point.

There is a good deal of jamming in improv in experimental, psych and noise actually, but in that case it's not that older 'going through the scales / chord changes' approach so much (except in more loose, freakout or 'weird' / 'wrong' types of ways). It's more with improvising with noise, ambience, synthesis, deploying of samples and effects, etc.

It just wouldn't be cool or fresh for everyone to just start playing like old jazz or blues style.

maybe pop/indie bands don't know how to do it?

Kiddos just take their guitar lessons, strum their chords, and call it a day.

True but unfortunately you can probably count on one hand the number of people in the world who can improvise effectively in Baroque style.

The disappearance of improvisation in classical is what killed the genre.

jazz chads:
>masterful technical facility, usually multiple instruments
>actual sense of internal timing and rhythm
>huge emphasis on improvisation, fearlessly strive to microcompose on stage with minimal pre planning, no such thing as a mistake or wrong note
>exciting melodies and rhythms, incorporate multiple genres and aesthetics. fun and logical use of chromatics that always feels great.

classical betas:
>can play one instrument proficiently if you're lucky, completely ignorant of anything else
>completely shit rhythm, badly relies on conductors spastic movements
>long winded, meticulously prepared compositions, every detail autistically labored over to try and avoid mistakes
>boring, conservative and bourgeois approach to melody and rhythm, pretentious and uninteresting experiments in chromaticism.

This is interesting.
8/10

half decent b8 4/10 made me reply

>is what killed the genre.
>implying its dead

Jazz serves a cultural function in the music scene. It is a signifier for musical "adulthood." To embrace jazz is to don a kind of graduation cap, signifying a broadening of tastes outside "mere" rock music. This ostentatious display of "sophistication" is an insult, and I find the graduation cappers transparent and tedious. Certainly there must be interesting music one could call "jazz." There must be. I've never heard it, but I grant that it is out there somewhere.
Jazz has a non-musical parallel: Christiania, the "free" zone in Copenhagen. In Christiania, like in jazz, there is no law. People are left to their own inventions to create and act as they see fit. In Jazz, the musicians are allowed to improvise over and beside structural elements that may themselves be extemporaneous. Sounds good, doesn't it? Freedom — sounds good.
The reality is much bleaker. Christiania is a squalid, trashy string of alleys with rag-and-bone men selling drugs, tie-dye and wretched food. Granted Total Freedom, and this is what they've chosen to do with it, sell hash and lentil soup? Jazz is similar. The results are so far beneath the conception that there is no English word for the dissappointment one feels when forced to confront it. Granted Total Freedom, you've chosen to play II V I and blow a goddamn trill on the saxophone? Only by willfully ignoring its failings can one pretend to appreciate it as an idiom and don the cap.

True, it's not really but it's pretty much dead to me since there is no point in seeing it live. I don't see the point in going to see any live music where improvisation isn't a significant portion of the performance.

Why would I want to go hear someone play a Brahms concerto when I can download 12 different recordings of better performances of the piece? If you're very familiar with the piece already you might be able to hear some small differences in expression and interpretation... but that's it. Not worth it.

Jazzthreadguy and the other elitists like him ruined jazz discussion on Sup Forums by turning it into a wankfest and trying to talk about theory and technical bullshit.

>Jazz serves a cultural function in the music scene. It is a signifier for musical "adulthood." To embrace jazz is to don a kind of graduation cap, signifying a broadening of tastes outside "mere" rock music. This ostentatious display of "sophistication" is an insult, and I find the graduation cappers transparent and tedious. Certainly there must be interesting music one could call "jazz." There must be. I've never heard it, but I grant that it is out there somewhere.
>Jazz has a non-musical parallel: Christiania, the "free" zone in Copenhagen. In Christiania, like in jazz, there is no law. People are left to their own inventions to create and act as they see fit. In Jazz, the musicians are allowed to improvise over and beside structural elements that may themselves be extemporaneous. Sounds good, doesn't it? Freedom — sounds good.
>The reality is much bleaker. Christiania is a squalid, trashy string of alleys with rag-and-bone men selling drugs, tie-dye and wretched food. Granted Total Freedom, and this is what they've chosen to do with it, sell hash and lentil soup? Jazz is similar. The results are so far beneath the conception that there is no English word for the dissappointment one feels when forced to confront it. Granted Total Freedom, you've chosen to play II V I and blow a goddamn trill on the saxophone? Only by willfully ignoring its failings can one pretend to appreciate it as an idiom and don the cap.

>steve albini

yeah nah hahahahahahahha

>2017

>not listening exclusively to Danger Music

youtu.be/T3kworqbeqw

You should listen to stuff like jean luc ponty and return to forever, they take the freedom jazz gives and put it in a real musical context. Jazz fusion dude, check that shit

newfags

>Jazz is the only genre with improvisation
Stop

>Knowing more about music is strongly discouraged
You may or may not share his personal taste in music, but this is what has really ruined this board.

jesus christ

Pretty much. Doesn't help that people percieve theory as prescriptive rather than descriptive.

I don't think you understand the point of jazz

>Doesn't help that people perceive theory as prescriptive rather than descriptive.
Very good. I agree, this is a rather sad sentiment that has taken force lately.

It's truly hilarious what people on this board think music theory is

there was no jazz discussion whatsoever before, so it's not like they ruined anything

Jazz is too complicated for Sup Forumstants

Did people actually used to talk about jazz theory and shit? Damn I always thought the "Sup Forums used to be better" shit was a meme but if that's real then maybe it was true

Nice cooked pasta

charles mingus is amazing

archive.rebeccablacktech.com/mu/thread/75434085/#75435858

Please tell me this is supposed to be ironic on some level.

It's not really. I actually think this is an exaggerated version of what the majority of the posters on this board think music theory is.

Don't believe me? Sometime start a thread asking if you should bother learning music theory.

-_-

no longer mainstream=/=dead

Damn. Shame that the /classical/ guy switch boards really fast since the recommendations are repeated over and over again.

no this board really is that dumb

>jazz

>a German philosopher didn't understand or like jazz
Is this your only point in posting this? If so do you really need to keep posting it every day?

>muh culture industry
If I had a time machine with one use I would go back and murder every single member of the Frankfurt School

Adorno and his boys were in New York in the 30s and 40s and regularly went to Harlem
his musical intelligence also obviously transfers over to any genre

I've been trying to get more jazzy in my piano playing.
I can play classical, of course. But I've also tried to combine, say boogie woogie beats with some classical right hands for fun.

The real question is: what is Jazz? More 7th's, more diatonics? I find that when I'm trying to fuck around in a Jazz syle I alwys play a lot of dimmished chords, and alternate the root notes on the melody.

I'm just starting with the piano (one year), so fuck me if I'm all stupid.

Just want to add that I love brubeck. I wonder if I torrent his work, would that still be wrong since he is dead?

chill dude, it's fun