Im sure that people are gonna be assholes about this but i dont know where else to ask...

im sure that people are gonna be assholes about this but i dont know where else to ask. I believe in a god that either does not care or know about the world, I believe that he is a supreme being but the universe is so large and vast that he does not care about a world as small as ours and that god has no morals. I also believe that when you die that there is no afterlife and that the meaning of life is to learn about the world around us. What would you call that religion? (pic not related)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deism
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Why do you assume that there is a god if you then believe that he has no interaction with us?

>and that god has no morals.

What do you think objective morality comes from, then?

well so im not sure if youd call it a god, but a supreme being

I think that humans created morals pretty much, and that the main point of existence is to learn about the world around us and unite as one

But why do you believe in a supreme being? What gives you any indication that there exists such a thing?

Basic survival instincts. Humans are social animals and our survivability comes from not wanting to murder, as this leads to larger and more secure groups. Safety in numbers. A lot of our "objective morality" is actually derived from our ability to reason.
"I don't want to steal because I'll be attacked if I'm caught, and I empathise with the victim"
"I don't want to hurt others because I feel empathy for them"
etc. It's all basic psychology.

It's possible that morals are not objective. The morals we have help us continue to exist, so it could be that morals exist not because they are good, but because they are beneficial.

because the universe is so huge that i feel its almost impossible for there to not be a supreme being, even if its an alien

>What would you call that religion?

You're a form of Deist.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deism

ok thank you i thought so but i wasnt sure because ive never talked to anyone about it, is it an actual religion? is there a church?

I guess I don't understand this logic. The universe is vast, so there must be a supreme being? Why?

From the sounds of it, there is no church because there is no point in worshiping a god that doesn't care. I suppose it could be a religion, but I don't think there is any organized practice. What would that even look like?

so have you heard the theory that there are infinite universes with infinite possibilities? Well then one must have a godlike being that can travel between universes, but he doesnt know about us or he might not care because we are so insignifigant

we decide our own morals.

that's why people kill in the name of their religion. and i dont mean just now.

Christian dark ages and the Christian expansion is devoid of any morals whatsoever

I guess it would be a church that teaches to accept everyone even if you dont agree with them and to become one with nature almost

I've heard of that, but I haven't seen any evidence that it's true. It'd be interesting, but there is no evidence for it as far as I know.

What makes you think that?

thanks for all of the help and discussion guys, this is kinda rare on /b, not a single person is being an asshole and were having a good conversation. Good job anons

Sounds like you want a non-denominational universalist church. They're basically a social group of hippies without the communist ideology.

Fuck off faggot

Yeah its an interesting theory that ive always believed since ive heard about it. I guess that i feel like thats almost the meaning of life to become one and become more... godlike

theres the /b i know

There might be some Deist-esque organizations out there, but the concept is too general to be regarded as a religion per se. There's no particular doctrine or foundational texts or ideology or anything like that. God just wound up the clock and is letting it run.

Look up Unitarian Universalism.

Right, but my point is, it's interesting, and it'd be cool if it was true, but there is nothing that indicates that it is true. Of course, there is nothing that indicates otherwise, but generally in situations like this, you go with the idea that requires the least amount of assumptions.

lol makes since, im liberal and smoke bud and love peace so i guess i could be called a hippie, so would i just be called a universalist diest?

No. You'd just be called a faggot, which is all the rage these days.

yeah your defiantly right, ide understand if people dont believe it because there is a good chance its not true

lmao whatever you want to believe

So I guess im a Universalist Diest

or i guess i could even be a Buddhist deist since they let you combine religions

That's similar to what I believe except I don't imagine a supreme being up there overseeing it all. The universe doesn't give a wet slap about us or anything else. We don't matter to anyone but ourselves and the sooner we realize that the better we can work to help ourselves and each other.

what would you call that?

>even if its an alien
what the fuck else could it be

sorry if im wrong but dont aliens have to come from a planet? and the go dim talking about wouldnt have one.