Is there any actual practical point to listening to music on this silly almost 70 year old technology beyond hipster...

Is there any actual practical point to listening to music on this silly almost 70 year old technology beyond hipster cache?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Placebo
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Yeah but you've clearly already made up your retarded mind so why would I bother trying to change it
Fuck you for killing a thread user.

some shit never made it to mp3 user

I collect vinyl as a hobby, but it doesn't sound any better than digital. It's less convenient to listen to as well, but I still enjoy it. It's something I can participate in with my friends. Also, nice trips.

Discovering music at flea markets for 10 cents a pop.

the audio fidelity is better than most digital files and will reveal things in the mix you cannot hear outside of the original master recording

Not trying to say you’re wrong or anything, but would you mind providing some examples?

It’s called a hobby. Ever heard of one?

vinyl is analog, completely lossless so if music was recorded originally with analog equipment and you play it on a quality turntable you're getting the closest representation of the original. so you'll hear breathing from the singer you never hear on a compressed digital file, you'll hear maybe a finger sliding on a bass you couldn't detect. and sounds recorded with analog in general will yield more warmth and 'realness' - no examples off the top of my head

With vinyl you can hear so much more depth and the songs sound richer and liver

You... don't actually understand how lossy compression works, do you?

You can get classics cheap and the new stuff comes with mp3 so you can have your cake and eat it too. Alot of the time the vinyl master or remaster is exclusive or different and some people like the collect-ability/physicality of it. Same as like collecting comics/books/art/etc

Also (and I will preface this statement my saying that own a couple thousand records of varying formats) Your average LP record is hardly comparable to a master tape. High noise floor, lower dynamic range, and a tendency toward crosstalk and distortion on the inner groove - depending on how lateral a path your stylus traces.

Your final product is only as good as the sum total of the signal chain that went into producing it. Yes, you can get very good results from an LP, but only provided that great care has been taken from the outset to minimize noise floors and maximize dynamic range.

Anything "extra" you're hearing in an LP release versus digital is more likely the result of alternate mixes and slight differences in compression applied during the final phase of mastering. That, or just wishful thinking.

I could go on, but, hey, what do I know. I've only been studying disc mastering for the last five years.

Every fucking time I go to actually get into vinyl I am put off by how autistic everyone is about it

Make sure your turntable has the right stylus and cartridge and counterweight. Buy an amp, or a receiver, or a preamp, depending on your phono input. Also what speaker you buy depends on all this shit, and you need to wire the whole thing yourself. OR JUST BUY IT ALL USED AND VINTAGE THATS COOL TOO

So you can spend about 2 grand for a half decent sound or spend 15 years scouring craigslist, ebay and thrift shops like some kind of mad man. fuck that

Always correct for Sup Forums autist over-representation.

literally
>get any turntable with a counterweight (probably $100-$300, think of it like a game console)
>if you get a modern one with a built in preamp you don't even need a receiver (but can always be on the lookout for a good deal on one with no necessity)
>get half-decent speakers
>plug
>play
>thrift
>discogs

Within a year you'll have a cute little collection.

some old albums do actually sound better on vinyl compared to the cd reissue. But just because they had a better mastering job, not because the analogue format is intrinsically superior.

BUT WHAT ABOUT THE CARTRIDGE? AND THE TRACKING FORCE AND ATISKATE AND ALIGNMENT REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

all of that comes with it, it takes but 5 minutes of your time

I like to support my bands asshole

it's just the way some people come off but I went to r/vinyl.... so I deserve everything I get

From a practical standpoint, I have a lot of albums on vinyl that I don't have digital copies of.

Not if it's by anyone not in your immediate social circle.

it's literally
>turn this knob to this number
>turn this one to that number
>buy a brush

If the thought of interacting with it doesn't appeal to you then maybe the hobby isn't something you will enjoy.

>buying brand new albums on vinyl (recent releases or reissues of old stuff)
99% of the times you are buying a cd pressed on vinyl, so the worst of both worlds
>buying early pressings of old albums, inevitably second-hand
maybe the guy played it on a shitty equipment and the record has some irreparable wear and you can not know it beforehand

albums on vinyl are cooler as an object, but no thank you.

I just like having physical copies, and a set up in my room. I do CDs, Cassettes, and Vinyl. When I was younger I enjoyed getting new CDs. With the internet age and streaming digital copies feel inpersonal and no real sense of ownership. Physical copies give that feeling back. Collecting vinyls specifically does feel a bit dumb.
I only buy vinyls for albums or artist I love. I wouldn't go into a record store and look exclusively in the vinyl selection. Found a City of Caterpillers CD for $2 flipping through the CDs. Most local bands only sell cassettes or CDs.

^this^

it's nice to collect vinyl as a hobby but I'm so grateful for flac files and my external audio card

Bought a new cartridge for my turntable and it didn't come with a protractor, now I can't align it until I buy one. This hobby is stupid.
>buy turntable
>buy amp
>buy speakers
>buy fat wires
>buy fucking sound isolation pads
>buy brush
>buy VTF scale
>buy cork mat
>buy records
>finally, sounds as good as a CD

It's mostly a collectors thing to me, but vinyl offers a fun novelty. When you buy a CD the music on it is honestly no different than a pirated FLAC from a good source, so getting my favorite albums/EPs on vinyl is neat, and vinyl covers offer nice big artwork. A lot of the music I listen to strongly carries on the tradition of vinyl, where some labels only offer their music in vinyl and digital, no CD, and I enjoy getting to partake in that stuff, where the vinyl is the "right" version.

I don't think vinyl sounds better or anything. A well done vinyl-to-digital rip compared to the vinyl source basically has no discernible differences. I do take some pride in having a turntable that sounds good though, and keeping my records in good condition to sound good.

i like having the huge cover sleeves, putting the record to spin is a lot funner than popping in a cd, winding tape, or click play on a stream

also it has a warmer sound to it. like a tube amp vs a amp with a bunch of presets

>where the vinyl is the "right" version

Autechre makes a cheeky jab at this with the stickers on the physical covers of Tri Repetae. The CD reads "incomplete without surface noise", whereas the LP sticker reads "complete with surface noise"

Do people actually get up to flip a record over or do they always just listen to half a record? Why the hell would you want to do that? How are you supposed to listen to gapless recordings?

why would they do a worse mastering job than what they already did?

Literally just get an Audio Technica LP-120 and some speakers you mongoloid.

Cause in the 90s they started compressing the fuck out of music to make it louder and louder so lots of remasters sound like complete shit.

Most modern ones from 2012-onward are good though.

Depends. Lots of artists these days have specific masters for Vinyl, and some still record on tape (Godspeed, etc). Just have to do some minor research on the vinyl release, but I agree a lot of very mainstream music will literally be the CD.

False. I won't make more than this one post because people with your understanding of this issue are usually extremely resistant to understanding the basic absolute facts about why they're wrong.

First: the fidelity of CD is higher than vinyl in both frequency range and dynamic range. 320 LAME MP3 is indistinguishable from PCM formats by way more than 99% of listeners on way more than 99% of systems and is also objectively higher fidelity than vinyl in both frequency range and dynamic range.

Second: The infinite resolution analog lossless system you're describing does not exist and is nothing like any existing vinyl record player, let alone whatever cheap system you are actually going to use. Vinyl has fundamental physical limitations that make it LOSSY. Yes that's right, the vinyl cutting and pressing process is inherently lossy and so is the playback mechanism of dragging a needle through a groove. Sub bass frequencies below a certain frequency and above a certain amplitude are completely impossible to accurately playback with a vinyl system because of the physics of how the needle tracks the groove. Neither the groove nor the needle is a perfectly rigid ideal object, meaning that even if the cutting and pressing process were truly "lossless" (which they're not), playback is unavoidably lossy because vibrations are lost as heat and mechanical vibration that transfers to the arm and other parts of the system rather than being converted into sound. These are just two of the fundamental limitatons of vinyl that make it inherently lower fidelity than well encoded, high fidelity digital mediums, but there are lots.

Forgot to say.. if you don't understand this point about the physical limitations of vinyl because "muh continuous groove must be perfect", think for a second about the fact that vinyl sounds better than a wax phonograph cynlinder, while both systems use theoretically the exact same method of recording and playback. Physical systems and materials have limitations. Wax is far worse than vinyl. Vinyl is far worse than ideal. And 16 bit or higher PCM is way better than vinyl.

vinylfags on suicide watch

[spoiler] no but to be honest you've taught be a lot with this post [/spoiler]

I like them because it has a real open sound to it. It’s like if you wanna hear a song you live on anothe level it’s great

I'm a vinylfag and this doesn't change anything for me
I just like collecting stuff and it's satisfying to drop the needle on the record to me

Depends on what your playing on dumb ass not those new wave bull shit ones.

Record collecting is a cheap and affordable way to discover new music that the internet wouldn't otherwise have information on.
The other day I bought 13 Brazilian records in near-perfect condition for 24 dollars at Salvation Army, only a few even had digital versions on the internet. All were pressed in South America. Most 'record collectors' would rather buy a single 180g version of St. Vincent's ass for 30 bucks.

It's undeniably valid to call most record collectors mindless, consumerist hipsters but there is a very practical purpose vinyl serves in preserving music of the past - after all, it was the chosen medium of musical consumption for basically the entirety of the 20th century. So much music was recorded then, the internet can barely do it justice with the amount of rips available.

cringe

based cringeposter