ROME

Just finished this, put off watching it for way too long and damn was it satisfying, though there's just not enough it, feels like it got cut far too short by season two. Any other shows or movies that reach it's heights in terms of period pieces or production qualities?

Other urls found in this thread:

heavy.com/entertainment/2013/03/the-20-awesomest-pieces-of-ancient-graffiti/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

HE WAS A CONSUL OF ROME

TRVE ROMAN BREAD FOR TRVE ROMANS

BBC pulled out funding and HBO didn't think there was enough interest to keep one of the most expensive set/shows in history on the air after 2 years.

The dvd sales were through the roof though but it is largely assumed the show was cut short because they were getting ready to do Game of Thrones, shit like that. At least some of the actors believe so.

I, Claudius, it's older, different, more classical theatre.
With Brian Blessed as Augustus (Octavian)

Well that's a fucking shame, I felt like this show could have run for some time. What a waste of all the sets as well, wouldn't have production costs gone down a bit considering they were already built for the first season?

From pliant virgins to learned Greeks, Rufus has slaves for every budget

Best character in the history of television coming through

Set was destroyed in a fire

Why did HBO cancel this, deadwood, and carnivale during the 2000s. They were all incredible shows

they allowed other movie productions/tv to use their sets or something but a huge chunk of their set was apparently burned down so, a fiber glass set can become a wee bit expensive.

To this day, I think it is still most expensive set in history after being off the air for nearly a decade.

>i will never have a complete heterosexual bromance like titus and lucius

Chunk of set burned down and had to be rebuilt.

I think Pullo and Vorenus had way too much impact on politics and battles. They were best at being part of ordinary Romans.

>that excerpt from Gaius's memoir talking about Pullo upstaging and egging vorenus on in middle of combat, fighting back to back against barbarians

>Set was destroyed in a fire

>ywn fuck Cleopatra
Hold me rome bros

>This got cancelled for game of faggots

I just finished s1(it was great), is s2 is just as good or is it rushed

very rushed. the second half especially so

>ywn shitpost in ancient rome

Rushed, but all the performances are worth watching still, they shove a lot of history into a very narrow funnel of time.

s2 is basically 2 seasons in 1, people call it rushed but what they mean is pacing is off because they tried to shove double the content into one season.

ALL MOCKERY OF THE JEWS AND THEIR ONE GOD SHALL BE KEPT TO AN APPROPRIATE MINIMUM!

Not as good but James Purefoy makes it worth it

Best girl

>mfw people complain about the sex and violence in GoT
I mean, GoT is like a pleasant fall day compared to the bloodbath in Rome. At certain point in season two I felt like there must have been some bet between the producers and directors about how many tits and dicks they could fit on the screen at once.

>yfw the Romans literally did shitpost.

heavy.com/entertainment/2013/03/the-20-awesomest-pieces-of-ancient-graffiti/

Based
Would be bros with him

>James Purefoy
most realistic depiction of Caesar's assassination in any form.

>tfw no continuation of the Herod plotline
Would have loved to see how his 'friendship' with Augustus would have been portrayed.

ywn incest with her.
Why even live?

>so screwed up that she just wanted someone in her family to love her

she is co-dependence personified. Her brother is ultimate form autismo and her mother is one greatest manipulators in her time period. Her uncle was gregarious and rest of family had died by adulthood.

>Fucked by Pompeii
>Her Dead Husband
>Her Brother
>Mark Anthony
>Agrippa
>random slave cock

I think one of the things that the show did well is it mixed history with popular shakespearan stuff that made Caesar so popular in western history.

People don't realize that he was not quite the star he is today without Shakespeare

It hurst
Why HBO is so shit now?

I'm sort of glad it got cut short if they really were planning on going into the christ stuff.

I wanted the show to stay focused on rome, not a sand cult that eventually gained prominence.

That was amazing acting, his dance scene was the best

>People don't realize that he was not quite the star he is today without Shakespeare
>The man who subjugated Gaul, Bridged the Rhine, and single handedly destroyed the Roman Republic after winning a civil war with the odds against him
>not a star
You're right, he was a fucking legend. Shakespeare's history plays are not even popular today.

I agree Augustus had a more lasting impact but everything Caesar did was legendary.

This
He was too good for this world

THIRTEENTH

If I ever find the person that made this decision I will THROW THAT MADMAN OFF THE TARPEIAN ROCK

no no, you're not getting me, Gaius is a legend for what he accomplished, don't get me wrong, but historically because of their history being written in latin and greek, it was largely lost and had to be rediscovered because of language barrier.

In modern world yeah he did great things but you can still be forgotten to history, and shakespeare immortalized his accomplishments to point you will only see portayals of these events because of him and few remaining historical sources from that time period. the problem of plagiarism(Herodotus) and lack of sources also helps but I still think in modern period, his plays resurrected and continued the flame of his story. Ovid, Livy and others helped in their own time period but a lot of people thought of their writings at the time almost as state sponsored propaganda.

His name became the word for king in several languages

>yfw your delirious, all-powerful God-Emperor nephew asks you if you think he's mad.

DUDE WEED LMAO
Would you Sup Forums? I would

Can someone explain this meme to me? It was good and strong scene. Caesar showed to dirty egyptians where do they belong and who is incharge here.

Everyone would dumby

No, you never stick your dick in crazy Jippos

i haven't seen him in a role i didn't enjoy. i wish i had 1/10th his charm and swagger.

Total fucking cunt considering what she did to Antony.

Consul - console

it started out as a play on words (Sup Forums), then became something ironic by keeping the line the same, ergo what you see above.

Antony lived his life lad

I think a problem of growing further in time would be the sudden addition of children (Marcellus, Drusus and Julia for example) who were cut from the show.

Oh, thank you, mate. Damn, what a great actor played Caesar. This role really fits him.

the show lived and died on the performances and they had spot on casting, which makes rewatching the show easy, much easier than other shows.

Even when pullo who did some truly reprehensible shit was still likable and considering what he did..that is kind of amazing. You put that behavior on most other show characters and it would fail completely.

See the bitch that played bullocks wife and skylar of breaking bad, in a lot of ways they needed her to be the same way as a character and it utterly fails because how she plays the character. To point of writing an op ed defending her acting decisions.

>tfw you were in that original Pompeii graffiti thread

fuck, ive been here too long

>Agrippa chose turbo autist Octavion over this
baka

never felt as crass and tasteless in Rome as it usually does on GoT though. Not sure why but in Rome the tits and violence always seemed appropriate (one time it went a little over the top was the arena 'THIRTEENTH!' scene, which I often feel weird about since almost everyone else loves that scene but I found it cringey as fuck)

>he still doesnt understand the roman spirit

bros before hoes m8, even if your bro is a turbo autist

>Chose the first emperor, best statesman rome ever produced and elevated many people to glory because of his intelligence whom gave agrippa one of better military careers of his time

he made the right choice. victories without politics and networking would see him like many other failed, intelligent military leaders. War was as much about perception and politics as it was winning on battlefield.

He was seriously on some next level alien shit

haters in the senate were just way too asshurt

What I meant is that for example Marcellus was Octavia's son from before Marc Antony, Julia was Octavian's from his first marriage and Drusus was Livia's (Octavian's second wife and the one on the series) youngest.
A bunch of kids they decided not to add because they weren't important to the story at that time, but that would be relevant later on.

>make a series about Rome
>all characters played by white English actors
>a good show

yeah no

adding more tertiary characters would only take away from the characters we want to see which I think was a smart move even if it would have complicated storytelling down the road.

Just look at problem of having to go every other episode in GOT, it makes for terrible storytelling having to break up your story even more than usual, it kills narrative pacing.

There's nothing quite like a Falernian grape is there Sup Forums

I Claudius. It's the closest you get to a sequel to Rome

>The most popular story for Julius Caesar was created by the english, and is more popular in rest of the western world than the host country it was born in to point of being his own genre in fiction in the U.S

They made the right move for economic reasons. Nobody wants to watch modern italians.

Wouldn't be tertiary though, they'd be te new supporting cast since everyone else is dead and Octavian won

HBO didn't have enough money to keep big budget shows on air. In a post-Game of Thrones world Rome wouldn't have been cancelled

It's highly overpraised here. GoT is better.

Rome got cancelled before D&D even had the idea of adapting Game of Thrones you dumb fucks

Yeah, I know it was definitely the smart decision, but I know if I were him I would've dropped Octavion's ass in a heartbeat.

Hello pleb

Are you retarded or just underage?

Romans being portrayed by the English is merely a film trope.

They knew going into season 2 that the show was being canceled, I think that is what you're getting caught up on. they would have done things differently with seasons 2, 3 and 4 to the point that battle of actium would have been towards end of season 3 or even beginning of season 4 before they started in on christ stuff.

So they would have added characters to the show but changed it once they knew they were getting canceled and jammed 2 seasons worth into season 2.

what you saw on screen was them simplifying it so they could fit it into one season

Nah, the acting and writing is actually going in Rome

one of the things I realized totally elevates Rome above GoT is the fact that it puts just as much emphasis on the regular citizens of Rome as it does on the powerful, scheming aristocrats.

Closest thing GoT has to that is Davos and the Brotherhood, both of which aren't as good or in-depth on the show as in the books

Good not going

Thank you, I always say this when I tell people Rome is better than GoT. It feels nice seeing all facets of life in Rome, which isn't shown enough in GoT.

this series was absolutely god tier. perfect cast as well

i need more of that thick yummy mummy in my life

by jove she was so sexy

why are rome threads always the best thing on Sup Forums at any given time?

Always will be based.

What was he?

meh.. she doesn't do anything for me personally.

But pic related on the other hand..

It's not overpraised. I'd say GoT is slightly better because it's gotten more developed storylines, characters and bigger budget, but Rome is still a great show and deserving of all praise

Tell me Sup Forums, have you penetrated anyone yet?

Absolutely our guy.

DELET

I don't come to Sup Forums to be reminded I am a pale imitation of better men, that is what I watch shit like Rome for

Aeneas Mella a humble travelling merchant

Just read the books.

DUDE JUST READ THE BOOKS LMAO

No really.

What do you think of him?

Died like a bitch

OP here, actually around of a third of the way through that book, around where Caesar finally gets his province. Didn't realize how much Caesar loved to fuck, guy literally cucked loads of the Roman Nobility.

that and GoT is just a loosely connected string of meme scenes that barely make sense

He only ramps the cuckening up in his later years.

It's like a tornado of cucking.

the extent to which he actually went around cucking people is hard to know, because in roman politics being a Trumpesque pussy grabber was seen as a good thing by the plebs. so you had to build up a bombastic, machismo image of yourself in order to win pleb support in the political arena. Augustus spread rumors of his sexual exploits too, despite being a bit of a sperg who probably wasnt really a hit with the ladies