Does Sup Forums have any tips for playing guitar

Does Sup Forums have any tips for playing guitar

Don't suck and use the pinky

also dont

Practice lots

start with chords and scales and not fucking metallica songs

Learn scales.

Why? How does this help?

Uno the difference between scales and modes and dontbstart with a flying v get a strat or a Les Paul easier to play easier to learn don't let any one else's progress ever affect yours

Play and learn whatever keeps you interested, don't get too hung up on scales if you find them boring as fuck. They're important for sure, and they'll in the long run be incredibly worth it, but what's more important is actually playing ie, Learning to play stuff that YOU want to play.

I played Green Day and power chords for 8 years, and it's BECAUSE I learnt that and had so much fun with it that I felt inspired to learn more scales and how to get better.

Use your fingers, not your toes.

dont go overboard with gear, focus on playing not which amp/guitar/pedal will give you that "tone". You can spend all your time researching instead of playing.

Wonderwall is the only song you need to learn

Don't bother with scales and shit like that if you are just a hobbyist and just want to play for fun. Try to learn songs that you like, learn how to read tabs, if you cant figure something out from tabs search for a video tutorial. You only need scales, modes etc. if you want to write your own songs. Other than that - don't bother.

Practice moar
Also download rocksmith and the custom songs
Don't obsess over theory too, its more of a language of music to help contextualize the sounds you feel.

Don't listen to this user

Scales are the most important part of guitar. Also learn some riffs and songs that inspire you but start memorising scales early or you will be doomed to being a rhythm player in a cover band

100% wrong. Play what makes you happy and what you want to play. You'll learn that eventually you'll need to build different skills to learn different things, and that's how you get better.

Learn Barre chords so you can start playing immediately. Play with as many other musicians as possible, but mostly other guitarists at first. Learn to keep time really well too. Ramones records can help with that in the beginning.

Oh and play in a classical postion while sitting - with guitar between your legs not on your lap. Also fuck Floyd Rose bridges. Get a guitar with a fixed bridge or oldschool trem and block it. Floating bridges are just good for dive bombs and for cheating your way out of playing a decent lead. Don't know what licks to play? Just go apeshit on the trem...

Also, start writing songs using those Barre chords right away.

Use moms spagetti

I start anyone out with enter sand man, simplified, where they use the ring, middle and pointer finger for the da-nu-na part in the waa-da-nu-na part.

Helps them learn power chords.

Also OP women hate guitar and men spending time on hobbies in general and not on them. I hope you're doing it for yourself.

You learn theory if you wanna write music that isn't based off some riff where you swapped the notes around.

It's how you compose real shit.

Don't. Nothing destroys a party like some douchebag pulling out a guitar and singing some shitty song. Don't be that guy.

Also don't listen to these faggots saying learn chords, most people don't have the finger dexterity until a few months in. In fact most people can't hold a power chord without their ring and pointer sliding towards each other till they're fucking touching.

Well when I was starting with the guitar my parents sent me to their friend who was teaching kids how to play for money. He made me practice chords and scales and after a few lessons I was so fucking bored that I said that I dont want to play any more and I left my guitar in a dusty corner for like two years. But then one day a friend of mine from school who was in a band came to my house and saw that I have a guitar and he asked me if I can play anything. I said that I dont and he then took that guitar and showed me how to play the beginning of One by Metallica. It was fucking magic! I was so happy that I can play something that I know and like that I got back to practicing by learning songs that I like. Now a few years later Im a pretty decent player.

Guitar advice, not sex advice.

practice

fake and gay

Slash didn't use his pinky hardly for a long time.

You should learn to use your other 3 fingers, then do exercises to improve pinky use.

Hell a lot of guitar players never learn to use their pinky.

Repetition repetition repetition repetition repetition repetition repetition repetition repetition repetition repetition repetition repetition repetition repetition repetition repetition repetition repetition repetition repetition repetition repetition repetition repetition repetition repetition repetition repetition repetition repetition repetition repetition repetition repetition repetition repetition repetition passion repetition repetition repetition repetition repetition repetition repetition repetition repetition repetition repetition repetition repetition repetition repetition passion repetition repetition repetition repetition repetition repetition repetition repetition repetition repetition repetition repetition repetition repetition repetition repetition repetition repetition repetition repetition