Why do women give their babies their fathers last names even if the father never gives the women his last name?

Why do women give their babies their fathers last names even if the father never gives the women his last name?

Its just something we've always done, but if you think about it it makes no sense other than its just a control factor of men.

>inb4 sjw

Now im a man with my own daughter and my girlfriend did me the honor of giving her my last name.

thoughts?

Men are just regarded as superior in society.

Men own their wife and children. The last name is taken to show they're claimed

Because people like you keep doing the same shit over and over again without thinking.

It's a throwback to the days when people married before having children. You take the fathers last name because back then the males had control of the estate etc. These days there isn't really any reason to i guess. It's just a cultural thing to show what family you are a part of.

>without thinking

We have been together for 8 years, house, two jobs, we even got a golden retriever puppy 4 years ago just to see if we could handle some sort of responsibility.

Back in the days of old it was an honor to choose a mate and produce offspring.

Now its seen as some sort of terrible thing...im only 30, but back when i was kid having families used to be seen as a good thing.

you lonely miserable turd.

Lineage is measured through the male bloodline in Western culture. It has been forever. It's a custom. It has nothing to do with men controlling women. It's how they used to determine line of succession. So women would give their babies the last name of the father so that they could be in line to inherit property. That baby has a valid claim on all that you have, and it ties you to her in a way that will easier allow the courts to award her palimony and child support. If anything, that baby having your name gives your girl the power over you, not vice versa.

God forbid you got married at this point. Wouldn't want that kid growing up in a functional home.

>Why is this the standard format
Because people like you repeatedly use it, making it commonplace and therefore,the standard
>Huuuurduuuur but it usedto b goodto have a family, now you say is terrible thing!

Literally what the fuck are you talking about?

Lrn2read, faggatron

How do people fail to realize this?

Im not interested in marriage, though I do feel a sort of guilt that that me and the baby share a last name and my loving girlfriend does not.

She deserves more than that.

I just feel like getting married would jinx us and ruin everything. Iv watched all my relatives my whole life fight over petty bullshit after they get married and then get divorced and fight even more, whats worse is that their children had to deal their bullshit their whole lives.

I feel like if we ever want to go different ways it would be easier to just give her a handshake and tell her good luck.

As opposed to legal fees, and child support and having some " Judge " decide out fate.

Mother = gives birth.
Father = gives legacy.

Longstanding traditions of patrilineal genealogy.

You must be young.

A long time ago, having a family was seen as the ultimate destiny. The biological imperative.

Now its just like " ARRGG STOP HAVING KIDS YOU ASSHOLES "

I feel like these new generations will never experience any sort of real happiness beyond some immediate source to release some dopamine.

Great more degenerates having kids out of wedlock but you think girls giving a man's last name is distasteful

Really,what have you read that i cannot see?

You asked why, he said because there was historical precedence

No one said anything about families or 'stop having kids' what the fuck are you talking about?

I never said it was distasteful. Just thought it was peculiar why we do it.
I thought he was being one of those new age faggots who spout on about how we should stop having kids.

having your mother's maiden name makes you look like a whore baby

they pass the father's name to save face

As for the WHY, you take the name to establish that you are a FAMILY.

Historically, the father's name is accepted because back in the day the father did ALL THE FUCKING WORK and was the provider. I dont care how much you try to sugar-coat it, "women watched the house and took care of the kids" yeah, cause they are part of the family and that was their fucking job, but the men went out to hunt and risk their fucking lives - so no, i dont want to hear any sjw equality bullshit, recognize the sacrifice they made for what it is. Now days, It doesnt matter who takes what name, you can do whatever you want but most people just follow tradition.

Hell, you could even argue that in MOST families the men STILL do more nowdays with all these fucking golddiggers out here...

This was my thought as well user, but you cant say that shit where other people will hear it.