Alcoholics:

Alcoholics:

How much were you drinking when you realized you had a problem? Did it sneak up on you?

Other urls found in this thread:

journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0036572
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

When I was riding my motorcycle on the highway at 100mph after drinking a half bottle of Crown Royal. My wife made me stay in a hotel that night. That's when I knew.

Thankyou for sharing.

I had to quit liquor once my body seemed to crave it after a while, getting shakes and weird things. Then again with beer that I would drink so much that I couldn't remember half of the previous night.

How much were you drinking exactly?

I wasn't going on any binges, if that is what you're asking. It was just that I would drink myself to sleep every night and it started wearing my body out. I got tired of that so I quit. Didn't find it that hard to quit as long as I drank a ton of water to flush it all out.

I think i'm an alcoholic in that i want to drink whenever it's available.
I guess i'm a functioning alcoholic? I drink pretty much every night although i never get hammered but i'll drink 200ml of whisky and a beer or two most nights

That's what I'm scared of. It will just infiltrate my body more and more until I wake up one day and realize I'm in a deep dark pit called alcoholism.

Yeah that's what worries me too. Now i don't that, that will happen because i think i've been consuming at this level for a few years at least but i would still like to not end up a raging alcoholic

A handle of 90 proof vodka a day. It got so bad that I couldn't go 2 hours without alcohol or bad withdrawals kicked in. I went to a 3 day inpatient detox center and haven't touched any alcohol since.

I knew it was a problem when I hated drinking. I did it to avoid withdrawals.

when I first knew bout a dozen 6% beer a day.
Knew I was an alchy for over a decade but thought I couldn't quit, coz I just couldn't see myself going with NEVER having another beer.
Was up to about 15 beer a day and started passing out at the kitchen table and waking up on the floor. Quit 4 months after my second child was born as I knew I was dying and saw it as completely unfair that I should cheat my kids out of having there Dad. Checked into a detox thinking it was treatment. After one night I was pronounced stable since I didn't have withdrawl symptoms. Supposed to stay a week but couldn't stand the screaming loud TV from the common room which could be heard everywhere in the building. It was a weekend and none of the limited therapy programs were running and I just got pissed off and decided if all was gonna do was watch tv and not drink I could resolve to do that at home. The super hardcore people there made me resolve to just TRY NOT drinking. So I went home and found to my slack jawed AMAZEMENT that not drinking was the easiest thing I had ever attempted in my life. Clean and sober for six months and I started taking sleep eze and NyQuil and shit when I got the urge to alter consciousness. New that was a super bad direction so reintroduced myself to weed when I was tempted to fall off the wagon.
I have 20 yrs without booze coming up in April.

Not knocking AA but I am pretty anti social so it wasn't for me. Will post my control method in a minute.

Also, I'm not too keen on the AA meetings they tell you to go to. It's kind of like being indoctrinated into a cult. For me, the pain of the withdrawals I went through is more than enough for me.

Relapsed today after 2 month. Instantly go shitfaced but its not like i had any sex when i was sober. What should i do now?

>today
Stop. You won't fully relapse because you fucked up one day or even a couple of days. Stop while you're ahead or fall back into that pit.

Just don't do it again!

I would say it did sneak up on me I never went on any binges. I just drank a few beers after work everyday then it became a six pack every night then a sixer of tall boys. Thats about when I was like ok time to pull the plug. That was over the course of 17 years. I just quit The first couple days I had awful heartburn then nothing.

Anyway 20 years sober with the help of the occasional vape toke. Best tool I had was an offshoot of my Asperger's insomuch as pattern breaking and the thought of losing my momentum of sobriety seemed annoying to to
me. I had built up all these months and then years and there was no way I wanted to break the pattern by slipping and resetting the clock to day one. I imagined my sobriety like a little snowball that starts slowly to roll down a huge mountain. Every day I didn't drink my little snowball kept rolling down hill getting bigger and bigger. My time sober represented by how big that snowball was getting as it continued to roll. I KNEW that if I took a drink my snowball would smash against a mighty tree and be broken into powder and I would have to go back to having a tiny little snowball instead of
the giant ball I had built.

QUIT drinking, use detox if you experience withdrawl, and start your snowball rolling down that mountain. At first measure in days, then weeks, months, years and decades. You can do it! It's no where near as difficult as you think it's going to be. Build your momentum until it would be such a damned shame to go back to day one that you just don't take the risk.

I can't even drink those tallboys anymore. The steel reserves, the colts, rushes, four lokos, etc. They all give me bad heartburn and stomach pain now. Kinda glad in a way. I used to chug those fucking things.

Budlight It seemed like I just had to dry out the stomach and I was fine.

lol you could be bleeding on the inside bud. enjoy cirrhosis

For me it wasnt an amount, but the effects. I had been drinking a fifth of Jack a night 6 days a week for a few years when I noticed I started to stutter and would trip over my words a lot. THAT was when I knew I had a problem.

Tried quitting a few times but 24 hours in and I would get the shakes, throwing up for no reason, and the one time I pushed myself to 48 hours I started hallucinating.

That was 5 years ago, i still drink a fifth a night, and unless I am going to take a month off work for inpatient rehab(not going to happen) Ill be drinking ever night until I am either a drooling retard or dead

Most insurance companies only cover 3-5 day inpatient detoxes now. They load you up with librium and anti-anxiety medicine that helps.

drinking 2-3 litres of beer every day minimum, and a bottle of vodka/whiskey/gin every week, alone, for around 7 years. realised i have a problem when i had a nervous breakdown few days ago, now im reducing it drastically, and changing my lifestyle, dont want to get further down that rabbithole, cause alcohol will kill you.

I work for an extremely religious company. If they found out how much I drink I would be fired on the spot. Ive done 3 day in patient detox twice, and both times I was still shaking and throwing up the night I got home

It wasn't the amount I was drinking it was the fact I was spending every last cent I made on alcohol.

I use that as my limiting factor. I make next to no money and so the main motivation to not getting shit faced 3 times a week is that I just can't afford it.

No Dude detox is like a week. Over the worst of it in 4 days. Chemical hook gone that fast, then it's just the psychological compulsion. Take 5 days off work and do a week long Detox center.

46 year old alcoholic with 12 years sober here.

I sobered up when my wife told me she was pregnant. Checked into a rehab place at .42 and was just barely feeling it.

Drank wine mostly, 'cuz I'm a classy drunk. 3 liters a day was normal. 4-5 was not rare. I'd throw in a few healthy pours of cognac, too.

AMA for the next little while about getting and staying sober.

was drinking 100 proof gin straight and after about 10 doubles realized i was still pretty much sober
decided to stop
was also pushed along by seeing a friend struggling with withdrawl after not having beer in the morning and the shakes quit drinking pretty much cold turkey after that
now only have a mixed drink now and then when me and the wife go out or feel like just relaxing around the house with a drink.

Get a note from doctor that says you MUST have 7 days undisturbed bed rest . Do a 7 day detox center

when i first discovered alcohol I drank half a bottle of vodka a day for a month straight. life was just being drunk and being hung over. at the end of the month I realized that and was like 'wow i should probably stop'.

havent had a problem since.

Im in the same boat as you user, lets set sails and explore the world

>AMA for the next little while about getting and staying sober.
I'm not a drunk...yet. Just afraid of becoming one slowly. I plan to get shit faced every friday, but often I drink the left overs the next day and then maybe I'll but some more the day after that.

I have a really hard time keeping alcohol and if I take just a sip I'll be 12 beers deep in an hour.

>Just afraid of becoming one slowly
That's how it happens. No one goes out and gets shitfaced once and becomes an alcoholic. There may be plenty of other consequences of one crazy night, but alcoholism isn't one of them.

> I take just a sip I'll be 12 beers deep in an hour

I think the obvious answer here is to not take that first sip. Go do something else. Run, play vidya, go for a drive (before any booze ofc,) anything else.

Was sober for about 25 days. 21 yr oldnow but I drank probably 10 beers and a few shots a night

The jail cell door slamming was pretty much a tip off. Yet I kept going after I got out. Now I'm only sober most of the time.

My doc explained to me, that we have a borderline in our brains that prevents us from drinking to much. But once the boarder is deactivated you never get it back.

>me working on ibizza
>friends and I get weekly 1000 pills to sell
>we get shitfaced as often as possible
>a barman in the resort I was working for, made a habit of spicing up the drinks with mdma to get pussy
>gives me one of them too
>drink, dance get wasted
>wake up on roof of workers accommodation, bruises on head and shit in my white jeans

>first time I said: this was the last time

>skip 18 years, most of the time I have the strength to be stronger than the urge
>in bad life phases I still empty half a bottle of Wodka or Gin just to get to the point of fuckyouall.jpg
>and every time I say: this is the last time

>Tomorrow I start my rehab with psychological help

>But once the boarder is deactivated you never get it back.
But what is the threshold?

I'd around a dozen beers on the the nights that I drank, usually only weekends
The real wake up call was noticing that my behavior was getting out of control and that once I started drinking I couldn't stop

That is the crux, everyone is different. There is no determination... I was drinking since I was 14y. Never had a problem, but my father and grandparents were alcoholics, so it is in the gen pool. And yes, that is a thing

Different person here
There's no exact answer, you can't avoid alcoholism by drinking only 9 beers instead of 10
If you think you might have a drinking problem, you probably do

>The real wake up call was noticing that my behavior was getting out of control and that once I started drinking I couldn't stop

After my 3rd DUI in 2 years. Went to rehab for 6 months, dropped the felony, and kept going to meetings.

I was 24.

Can you tell exactly when it happens?

i go to meetings to people watch. i never speak. 2 or 3 a week and you really find out how fucked up some people are and try not to be them

When I avoided my car payment to buy booze for while I was at work. Drinking about 2 handles of stoli a day, about $75.

When I started having seizures if I went for 12 hours without drinking...

I ignored tons of warning signs, I could make excuses for lots of alcoholic behavior
Not sure if there's a single moment where the switch is flipped, but if there is, I completely missed it
In retrospect, I started drinking alcoholicly from the very beginning

No, it's from day to the other. That is the horror, cos you just don't get it. Like when you're puking, there was a boarder securing your brain/body. But that just simply gets lost.

I basically feel like I want a drink all the time but I just don't

Seizures? So more than just being shaky?

Since our bodies produce a natural level of alcohol the body is trained not to produce it anymore, cos it's externally pouring in the whole time.

If you then cut it off, your body gets revenge on your misbehaving.

By the way, funny fact:
Vegetarian have a higher alcohol level than normies, cos of the higher input of vegetables.

The threshold for alcoholism is when you can't possibly make it to sleep without a drink. Don't get me wrong, I've made it a couple days, here and there, without drinking, but that's after binges. After a decade like this I can't continue. I lost my job and have spent every cent, literally, on alcohol. It's a violent disease and will absolutely destroy everything you hold dear. Unfortunately as I type this I'm drinking a a fifth of gut-rot whiskey. user talking about the border in your mind is right. Once it's crossed there is no going back.

When I started feeling withdrawals after not drinking a couple of days in a row. Yea it snuck up on me

[citation needed]

Yeah, I had full-on seizures.
This was after about 3 years of drinking bourbon all day every day... even when I was working.
Finally checked into a detox facility because I was scared of dying, and they gave me benzos for several days until I was stable.

Hope you have the strength to control it some day

Like this?

journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0036572

I had seizure one morning in the motorpool after going on a weekend bender, scared the fuck out of everybody. They attributed it to low blood sugar as my body was trying to process all the sugar from the alcohol and just didn't stop until it was so low, bam, I'm laying on the ground with a wooden stake in mouth. My bud said I was trying to swallow my tongue.

Interesting article, but it doesn't support any of your claims
>ctrl+f "veg"
>0 results

it is indeed unrelated to his claims

>who's drunk now or drinking
>age
>your country of residence

Theres an easy test to see if youre an alcoholic: Dry month. No booze for one month.

Percentage of the month you stay unbroken dry is % alcoholic you are. Can't even do one day? 100% alkie.

was drinkig 6L of 7.5% cider a day, literally cheap shit that tastes liek chemicals, smoking constantly
spending every second of my life wishing I was dead
family commenting on how 'their brother is trying to drink himself to death' but doing nothing to help, just continuing being cunts

I knew pretty clearly, just didnt care

a lot

I don't have a drinking problem, but everyone else gets pissed because I drink.